Thread: Anthem X 29er 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Anthem X 29er 2

Hello All,

Recently purchased a 2012 Anthem X 29er 2 and trying to find more detailed specs on the bike.
    1) The front wheel is a QR15 thru axle but I can't seem to find out what the rear is.
    2) Thinking of replacing the headset to a cane creek but not sure what the specs are for it.

Note: I haven't really "played" around with the bike yet.

Thanks
    Last edited by tcc13; 11-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Giant keeps all their old bikes in an archive on their website:

Anthem X 29er 2 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks Cotharyus. I already looked there and it tells me very little about the info I'm looking for. Searched for "Giant Tracker Performance" for the rear hub and I can't find what size that is (135mm or 142x12) and there's no info on the headset.

mtbr member
    Your best bet is likely your closest Giant dealer for getting information on it then. Or you might try searching for the wheel set in the review section here, or elsewhere and you might find the hub info there. The Headset is just a matter of finding something that's OverDrive compatible, which should be much simpler than OD2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok, not sure if other Anthem X 29ers are the same but from reading other threads where people have posted pix of their Anthem X's a lot have changed the wheelset. So someone has to know what the rear specs are???

Is there a way to measure it?

Epic rider
    If you take out the rear wheel and look at it....?

(you would find a regular qr 135mm hub)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It is a standard QR 135. Like the previous post, measure the distance between the stays at the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks guys. I'm new to mtb and ths is my first fs bike

As for the headset, do I just look for something compatible for an overdrive steerer (if that's the "term") or are there dimensions I should be measuring/looking for?

Epic rider
    Why do you want to replace it? You would probably be better off replacing items that make a real difference to the performance of your bike and replace the headset only when it is broken.
    Thinking about wheels, saddle and brakes.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

Your Best Friend
    ^ This.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It's just something I'd like to know when the time comes

But I agree with the other parts. The saddle is definitely going. I have a Thomson Masterpiece (straight) with a WTB Pure V that I want to try out on this bike and if it feels confortable and I don't need the slight setback compared to the stock post then I'm good to go.

Are the stock Elixr brakes that bad compared to upgrading to say XT or a higher Elixr model (if there is)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc13 View Post

Are the stock Elixr brakes that bad compared to upgrading to say XT or a higher Elixr model (if there is)?
    I have a 2013 Anthem x29 2, it has the Elixir 1 brakes and yes they're that bad. The xt brakes are great brakes, in my opinion the xt's are far superior than the Elixir 1's better feel, more power and quieter. In fact I like the xt's more than the xo's the are on my hard tail. So the xt brakes will be a great upgrade for your Anthem.
    Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tdee View Post
    I have a 2013 Anthem x29 2, it has the Elixir 1 brakes and yes they're that bad. The xt brakes are great brakes, in my opinion the xt's are far superior than the Elixir 1's better feel, more power and quieter. In fact I like the xt's more than the xo's the are on my hard tail. So the xt brakes will be a great upgrade for your Anthem.
    I agree 100%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tdee View Post
    Which would be better....XT or Elixir XO brakes?

Also, if I wanted to change the RD, FD, etc. with higher end SRAM parts is it a straight swap?