mtbr member

New question here. Anthem X 29 suspension set up

Anyone have recommendations on where to start with setting up the suspension on a Giant Anthem X 29 (I have the 2011 version)? I weigh about 168lbs all geared up. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i have the 2012 version but the same suspensions (fox RP23 and fox 32 rlc fit) i am 190 lbs
    75 psi , 3 clics compression end 6 clics rebound ant
    160 psi 4 clics rebound post
    i have fixed 25% of sag post (1 cm) and 15% sag ant (1,5 cm)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Provo, that's pretty squish, do you bottom out often on that? I'm just over 200 loaded up and run 195-200 lbs rear, and 90-100 on the front. Don't really have my rebound dialed in yet though, tend to keep it firmer for fast sections. Another caveat is that I prefer the ride stiffer for climbing/XC.

Also, for the OP the manufacturer recommends a 20% sag starting point.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Also, for the OP the manufacturer recommends a 20% sag starting point.[/QUOTE]

Thanks probiscus! Exactly what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    I'm running my weight in the shock (150) and the fork is about 65 or 70. Doesn't seem too sensitive on the front, but the back if less than my weight makes the pedaling feel less responsive. I'm still bottoming the back a bit and using close to 4 on the front so figure I'm close and the handling feels very balanced.
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a old thread on the same topic: Anthem 29er shock/fork pressures

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post
    Here's a old thread on the same topic: Anthem 29er shock/fork pressures
    Thanks. I'm going to try the 20% front/rear sag recommendation and will report back on the results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm 235 + gear/ 2011 X2 29. If I set the RP2 so it pedals well, the shock is way too stiff for anything other than climbing. Setting the shock w/ more sag is much smoother. Flip on the Propedal for the climbs and let it rip everywhere else. I think you will find that 20% is too stiff. The fork works well at 25-30 %.
    I now have an RS RT3 which is better all around. Pedals much better w/ 25% less pressure. My RP2 started to leak oil so I found a new RT3 on Ebay off a Giant. I now have replaced the seals on the RP2 and will keep as backup

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I prefer a soft suspension off road, i'm using the propedal max position on pavements and the shock to 1 position on off road, climbing and descending, and never bottom out,
    The fox rp23 2012(I HAVE THE FRAME SET, NOT THE COMPLETE BIKE) has strange settings. one position with max propedal and the other with 3 settings, open, light and medium propedal.
    I ever let the light PP position offroad with good results..

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You'll get the most potential as a trail bike at 30% sag both ends of the fox equipped bikes. Racing closer to 20% is what you want. Propedal on the rear if your racing. The low compression shock is great for smoothing sharp edge hits, but is always going to bob. Adding more air doesn't have as much affect as a higher compression damping. The Rock Shox equipped bikes will probably have a firmer ride.

mtbr member
    Tried the 20% sag today and didn't like it much. It didn't soak up things as well, and didn't pedal as well with the ProPedal off (bobbed more). I'm going to go back to the 165psi (or maybe try a little less even) setting I had in the rear...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yep, I went out this weekend and played around with less air as well. Went 90 front and 190 year (weigh 195). Worked out pretty well on the DH, just don't like too little air on the hill climbs. In any case, that's why everyone says play around with whatever works for you, though try 5 lb increments is what the manual says (and what I've been told).

mtbr member
    The manual and others are correct. Once the recommended sag is set this should feel pretty good. One should also start neutral or in the middle on compression and rebound. Then experiment with faster/slower no more than 2 clicks at a time until the bike responds best for you and your riding conditions. Don't be afraid to experiment. Have fun!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I like a little bit more than 30% sag front (Fox F29 RL) and rear (Fox RP2). Bobs a little with PP on, and a little more than that with it off. No biggie to me.

mtbr member
    Once you get the sag set where the suspension is soaking up the bumps nicely, try this on your next ride... Ride in a higher gear or two than you think is normal. The bit of extra chain tension seems to do wonders with the Maestro suspension in terms of helping control rear suspension bob. I did that on my last ride and it rode really nice, even w/ no ProPedal. I think this is a recommended technique with any FS bike, but just thought I would pass along.

mtbr member
    What is the size of the shock on Anthem x 29er? I'm looking at giving the RS RT3 a try....saw or in white that would look cool and a lot of folks give her better reviews than FOX RP2(that I have)
    Thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I believe it is 165x38mm / 6.5"x1.5"