mtbr member
    May 2012

Anthem X 29 Steep, Rough Downhilling?

I have the 2012 29 X1 and on steep, rocky, twisty trails with 6 inch water bar drop offs I find myself struggling some with the bike. I find the handle bars twitching, or it could be my arms twiching, because I am nervous and/or tired.

I know the bike was not designed specifically for this kind of riding.

I have the standard handle bars and see a lot of people are upgrading them for lighter and more swept back bars. Where I ride it is pretty open and do not find the stock bars too wide. Wouldn't wider bars be more stable for turning?

I think most of it is my technique, being a novice rider.

I bought the bike because I specifically like to climb a long steep fire road near my house and it does that VERY well. It performs well on most of the stuff I throw at it.

Thanks
    Bill

mtbr member
    You could be creating the twitching as you mentioned, this used to happen to me when I was learning dh and solved it by doing several things, wider bar, not tensing up and softening my grip.

The wider bar will slow down the steering and will give you a feel of more control, the rest is mental; when you get scared and/or tired you tend to harden your grip and tense your muscles, learn to relax while riding and let the bike do the work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Based on your username, I'm guessing that you are referring to the Mesa/Big Rock trail on Cowles Mtn. Bombing down that trail is no problem on my AX29 as the bike goes downhill as well as my previous "all-mountain" bikes (Giant Reign, Specialized Enduro SL). Your technique and inexperience are the limiting factors at this point, but I would suggest getting a shorter stem so that you aren't leaning so far over the front wheel. I run a 70mm stem on mine.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    Based on your username, I'm guessing that you are referring to the Mesa/Big Rock trail on Cowles Mtn.
    Yes
    Bombing down that trail is no problem on my AX29
    Great to hear.
    Your technique and inexperience are the limiting factors at this point, but I would suggest getting a shorter stem so that you aren't leaning so far over the front wheel. I run a 70mm stem on mine.
    PM sent Thanks Bill

Tactical Nightmare
    I have to say that I too am probably using my 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 on terrain that may be more AM than XC, but it has taken everything I have thrown at it and then some. I am not abusing it by any means, but I am surely riding it to its potential and enjoying it. I just shortened my stem too actually, from a 100mm to an 80mm. I have yet to ride the trails with it, but just riding the streets it does feel different.

Now, what I was told by my LBS tech is that going with a shorter stem will make it a bit more “twitchy” on climbs. He said a way to offset that if I didn’t like that feel is to go with wider bars. But he said that is going to be more noticeable on climbs than on downs. For going down, he thought I would appreciate the handling as it may be a bit more precise with the shorter stem. Granted, going down you are moving a greater speeds than if you are climbing.

But so far, I have no doubts that this bike can handle a bit more than just XC trails. The thing is, in my area of riding (NW Oregon), our trails are such a mixed bag, that not one bike can handle all of it. So, I chose the bike that was close to handling everything, the Anthem X 29er.
    "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    *2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    *1983 Schwinn Predator

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Briefly push forward on the bar just as you go off the water bars, and then pull it back after you land the front wheel.

I am running a 100mm or 110mm stem with a 720mm wide Answer Carbon 20/20 bar on an XL 2011 Anthem X 29er, and ride all types of terrain on it.