mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Anthem x 29 with long travel fork

Considering installing a 140-150mm on my xc bike to give me some bigger bump capacity and a tad slacker head tube angle. Since the bike has a relatively low bb height and I'm running the saddle all the way back.

I'm not ready to jettison my 29er setup but am feeling the ill effects of 70 deg head angle and paltry 100mm of travel

Any things to consider ?

mtbr member
    Take the money for a new fork and put it towards a Trance and sell your Anthem to help with the purchase. No point in making the Anthem onto something it's not especially when it sounds as if the Trance will suit your needs better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I love the way the bike rides and perhaps my need for a slacker & longer setup just means a second bike. No one bike does it all.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You could get a 120 mm fork instead and if it's too much, try it reduced it to 110 mm. I wouldn't necessarily add a 120 mm fork for the travel increase alone, but...I would do it with the idea of upgrading my fork, and benefitting from the slight increase in bb height. If you want longer travel, the other post above makes sense about moving over to a Trance. Find somebody, or a shop with a Trance and try to arrange to go riding you and another person and switch back and forth. You may find the Trance is more what you want, or maybe not.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Keep the Anthem... get a Reign. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbeeton View Post
    Considering installing a 140-150mm on my xc bike to give me some bigger bump capacity and a tad slacker head tube angle. Since the bike has a relatively low bb height and I'm running the saddle all the way back.

I'm not ready to jettison my 29er setup but am feeling the ill effects of 70 deg head angle and paltry 100mm of travel

Any things to consider ?
    I'm running a 120 fork on mine at 69.3 degrees . You can add a works or angleset hedaset to slack it out more. I'd sell the bike if i was tempted to run any longer fork.