mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Anthem X-1 29er vs Trance 1 27.5 (2014) How to choose?

I had a chance to ride both the Anthem X1 29er and Trance 1 27.5 over the weekend and was impressed by both.

The demo had the Anthem in my size, the Trance was a size too small.

I live in MN and mostly ride here as well. Our trails range from buff and flowy to moderately rocky/twisty/tight. Nothing extreme, though I do enjoy trying to learn the technical stuff (not super skilled yet...) The Anthem was a rocket ship and just rolled over everything, I'm guessing due to the tire tread and wheel size respectively. The 27.5 didn't seem as fast, but the bike was too small and the tire tread was far more aggressive.

I guess I don't know how to choose. I realize they are 2 very different bikes, but I just don't know which one would make me more happy...

I've ridden a number of bikes enough to know I like both of these, I'm just trying to avoid wanting one when I buy the other.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Jon

mtbr member
    Buy both.

Er, yeah, I know, me either. Here's the thing. I have an Anthem 29er. I LOVE this bike. Problem: It's not designed for hucking, so I don't do it. Sometimes I'd REALLY like to, but I don't. Unfortunately, I want a bike I CAN huck, and frankly, I'm not impressed by anything that claims to be a 29er XC bike that you can throw off a big drop, or hang up over a big double. Which basically means...I need two bikes. Except I have a rigid SS, so really, I need 3. But I also have my road bike, so technically ....4. Uh, yeah, you see the problem here right?

So, buy the one you think you'll be most entertained with most often, or the one you think is most suitable to the kind of riding you want to do most of the time, keeping in mind that the Anthem isn't meant to take big jumps, big drops, or pretty much anything else like that. It's designed to go really fast over tight crappy trails, and ridiculously fast over buff single track. The Trance is your drop/jump/huck bike, if that's your thing.

I uh...hope that helped?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

For sure. Ordered the Anthem, should be here Friday! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Buy both.

Er, yeah, I know, me either. Here's the thing. I have an Anthem 29er. I LOVE this bike. Problem: It's not designed for hucking, so I don't do it. Sometimes I'd REALLY like to, but I don't. Unfortunately, I want a bike I CAN huck, and frankly, I'm not impressed by anything that claims to be a 29er XC bike that you can throw off a big drop, or hang up over a big double. Which basically means...I need two bikes. Except I have a rigid SS, so really, I need 3. But I also have my road bike, so technically ....4. Uh, yeah, you see the problem here right?

So, buy the one you think you'll be most entertained with most often, or the one you think is most suitable to the kind of riding you want to do most of the time, keeping in mind that the Anthem isn't meant to take big jumps, big drops, or pretty much anything else like that. It's designed to go really fast over tight crappy trails, and ridiculously fast over buff single track. The Trance is your drop/jump/huck bike, if that's your thing.

I uh...hope that helped?
    Don't forget a cyclocross bike... That's 5.

Your Best Friend
    And a Fat Bike. 6.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    LOL.

Yep...when I first got into cycling and mountain biking again earlier in the year, I found out very quickly that I was going to end up with more than one bike. They're all built either a little different or a lot different. They handle differently and so forth.

The Giant Anthem 29er is what I got first. It's a very fast and agile bike and once you get moving you really don't have to stop. I got it because I thought I was only going to ride single track trails with a few climbs and descents but otherwise hard packed dirt with some roots mixed in.

I found out that my area has quite the variety of terrain from hard packed trails, to double track, to narly rock and root trails. There's loose rock gardens around here, as well as solid rock gardens that both climb and descent. There's very steep downhill tracks, drop-offs, and etc.

Soooo to make a long story short I bought the Trance 27.5 as well. The extra inch and a half does a good job of soaking up the more traily-trails and does some light all mountain type of stuff as well. All in all, both excellent bikes, and you may still want for the other in either instance...depending on where you prefer to ride.

But if you were to choose one, the Trance actually does a good job at being a do-it-all bike. That's the one I would've recommended if you planned on doing ANY sort of heavier trail/am riding in addition to your xc / light trail stuff.