• Anthem

16 55.17%
  • NRS

13 44.83%

Thread: Anthem v.s. NRS

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005

Anthem v.s. NRS

Am i the only one who likes the NRS more than the Anthem?
    I don't know how a suspension system (other than the Specialized brain) can beat the NRS design for bob-free pedalling. I haven't tried an Anthem, but it doesn't strike me as a top-end XC racer like the NRS. But i still have my NRS for now, until 2-3 years down the road when i am buying a Rocky Mountain Element or ETSX.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan30
    I don't know how a suspension system (other than the Specialized brain) can beat the NRS design for bob-free pedalling. I haven't tried an Anthem, but it doesn't strike me as a top-end XC racer like the NRS. But i still have my NRS for now, until 2-3 years down the road when i am buying a Rocky Mountain Element or ETSX.
    Honestly I can't say - i've never riden on an Anthem. I've only seen pictures and read posts here about them. This is also why I did not vote (sorry, I would but it would be biased).

That said, when I look at the Anthem and compare it to what I know about the NRS then I can see why Giant might have designed it the way they did - to bring some small bump compliance into the design (soooooo many people "complain" about the NRS being "stiff/harsh" - it's SUPPOSED to be people!!!!). They just use a platform shock to do it, rather than the suspension geometry. You can tailor the "harshness", or lack of it, to your needs/wants. The impression I get from some Anthem posting is that much of the love may very well be largely responsible by this.

I look at the Anthem and I can't help but feel it's "just another SP", really (and of course I mean absolutely NO disrespect by that!). Maybe even a VT, but simpler. It's just using a platform shock to mask the bobbing. Very common with SP's now - because it works well.

For ME, what I want/need and why I bought the frame originally - NRS. I couldn't find anything else out there that will "do it" quite like the NRS. The Spec/Norco stuff was of interest (okay, ONLY the Norco's), but nope. Not going down that road.

The NRS is 2nd of a 3 part line-up i'm working on for myself in my FS range. Don't ask me what the 3rd part is yet, i'm still thinking about it.

Anyways, yeah, NRS!

REALLY gotta wonder if Giant will do a carbon Anthem (sorry if they already do and i'm not aware of it!)? Hey, the Anthem IS the latest/greatest Giant XC machine, so it should only be so, right?

(I can't help but wonder if you didn't open a can of worms with this thread )
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    I look at the Anthem and I can't help but feel it's "just another SP", really (and of course I mean absolutely NO disrespect by that!). Maybe even a VT, but simpler. It's just using a platform shock to mask the bobbing. Very common with SP's now - because it works well.
    Ahem!!! NOt to beat you up, bro. But the Anthem is a Maestro bike. It's not a SP but something similar to a DW-Link bike. It's a four bar one like the NRS (different layout though)
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Good job!

Last September, I went to my LBS and ordered me an Anthem 2. It didn't show up until Thursday and I have to say that it is for real. True, I have only ridden it off road 1 time and it was a short ride due to the snow that fell on the trail last night, but I love it. I have been an avid mountain biker since 1993 and this is my first XC full suspension bike. I was worried that it would be to heavy or that it wouldn't pedal well enough or it would feel sluggish or something like that. I can honestly tell you that it is none of those things. My brother in law rides an NRS and loves it and I really have nothing against it or anything, but you have to know that Giant didn't replace it with a piece of crap. It climbs better than my Trek 9700 does because the rear wheel stays on the ground instead of bouncing around. It pedals as well as an NRS and still gives you some pretty plush feeling travel in the back (even when you are on the brakes).

If first impressions count for anything, the Anthem is a winner in my book.

oh yeah, and the Anthem 2 and 3 don't actually have the SPV shock in the back. They just work really well.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Ahem!!! NOt to beat you up, bro. But the Anthem is a Maestro bike. It's not a SP but something similar to a DW-Link bike. It's a four bar one like the NRS (different layout though)
    (goes back to Anthem thread, looks at NON-drive side pics)

Oh yeaaaaaah. OOPS! SORRY!

Okay, allow me to rephrase my closing statement;

Anyways, yeah - NRS YO!

Thanks for pointing that out, Warp. I still say the NRS is better at being a rigid bike wanna be, untill you don't need it to wanna be.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

MTB B'dos
    I don't know how a suspension system (other than the Specialized brain) can beat the NRS design for bob-free pedalling.
    LMAO I have to seriously laugh at that comment after yesterdays ride. When I 1st started riding and had my DB Coil X I remember thinking my friends Specialized handled the bumps so well with that brainshock.

Now after yesterdays ride and me on my Trance, I know I DON'T want any of those Specialized brain shock rides (unless he really has it set up seriously wrong) It was wet and we were going to be doing road only so I opted to use my road wheelset - 1.5" semi slicks@ 60f&65r PSI, 12-25 cassette - at the end of the ride we were coming down prob the roughest road on our island aeven with the 60/65 PSI combo and my shock and fork running about 50% more PSI than I run off-road my Trance sailed over the roughness.

I sat the whole way down (bombing as I went, even on the wet which I hate) and didn't feel any discomfort 'cept from the HB's a bit - cause I didn't want any of the rough stuff to whip the front wheeel around on our super slippy wet roads and send me to the asphault - and was holding on with a death grip. When we got to bottom of the road my friend with his brain shocked Specialized said he had to stand the whole way as the shock basically locked out (as it does on any such seriously small, quick rough stuff) and it wasn't a pleasant ride to say the least - he was running his Specialized RollX Pros at around 40 PSI.

Give me Maestro any day. Considerfing buying me an Anthem frame to build up as I get the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Well said Warp. Tsk, tsk AndrewTO you should know better.
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-22-2006 at 08:38 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Cycle Solutions
    If you dont know how the systems work then how can you compare them? What a stupid post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I'm not sure I could 'explain' the two either, but on this thread/topic in general: don't own either, but I'm thinking about f/s for this year or next, and I'm a loyal Giant rider, so -- surely the point is that IF Giant has succeed in creating a 'race light' f/s system that BOTH acts like a hardtail when relevant (no bob, brake jack, etc.) AND has small bump compliance/traction benefits, then we have the best of NRS + 'comfort'? It is relevant, because for all-out Xcountry racing AND endurance racing, there's no question that all else being equal a less fatigued rider will be a faster rider, especially toward the end of a race?? I say IF deliberately -- we'll have to wait and see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I MISS THE NRS I WILL NEVER BUY AN ANTHEM.. LONG LIVE NRS

Cycle Solutions

No good

You're in denial, let go of your anodized pink chainrings, 7 speed, tri spoke wheels, tubed tires, rim brakes, and embrace the future. There are two possiblities, you're stupid or you're broke

Cycle Solutions

No good

Either way I feel sorry for you
    Last edited by Benno; 01-25-2006 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Double post

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    You're in denial, let go of your anodized pink chainrings, 7 speed, tri spoke wheels, tubed tires, rim brakes, and embrace the future. There are two possiblities, you're stupid or you're broke
    let's pick apart this reply:

I've got these on my bike, instead of what you mentioned:

chrome chainring, 9 speed, crossmax wheels, tubeless tires, hayes hydraulic disc brakes, and to boot a carbon frame, so no, i am not broke or stupid, and my bike has nothing that you mentioned above.

Cycle Solutions
    It was metaphorical style man, you need an educating in sarcasm The great part being my winter bike, the only mountain bike I currently own, happens to be 7 speed with canti brakes and a rigid chromo frame. Wow I said that and I don't even feel insecure, a rarity on this forum, ha

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Hearing things about the Anthem on this post, and reading reviews changed my mind on the Anthem. But i'm still sticking with my NRS for a few years, and then buying a Rocky Mountain. Unless the Anthem is way cheaper, (which it's not), i stick with the NRS and then move on to the Rocky Mountains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

riding NRS vs Anthem

I own both bikes (an Anthem 2 for a month now), and my impression is as following:

- Riding the NRS on the trail feels like riding a hardtail (efficient) with the benefit that the saddle doesn't kick your butt when you hit an obstacle

-Riding an Anthem on the trail feels like riding a hardtail on the road... get the point?

The Anthem is amazing

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexc
    I own both bikes (an Anthem 2 for a month now), and my impression is as following:

- Riding the NRS on the trail feels like riding a hardtail (efficient) with the benefit that the saddle doesn't kick your butt when you hit an obstacle
    impressive.

can you tell us what year-model your NRS is, and what shocks -fr/rr - you're using? also, pressures for the shocks and tyres ('tires' for you yanks )? thanks.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

My NRS is a 2003 NRS 3 (with many upgrades).

Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    impressive.

can you tell us what year-model your NRS is, and what shocks -fr/rr - you're using? also, pressures for the shocks and tyres ('tires' for you yanks )? thanks.

My NRS is a 2003 NRS 3 (with many upgrades).
    -Shock is still the original RS Sid and I used 170 psi (+) and 50 psi (- )(Giant's recommended set up for a 160 pounds rider).
    -My fork was upgraded to a 2004 Skareb w/SPV 80mm.
    -Tires are Kenda Karma DTC ... @ 30 psi (tubeless).

Anthem 2 set up is:
    -Shock Manitou S @ 120 psi (6cm sag) as recommended by Giant
    -Fork is Manitou Seven Elite 80 mm
    - Tires are same as above @ 35 PSI

Cycle Solutions
    It's amazing how 5min of research can change ones opinion of the Anthem...........mine will be here in the next week or two.....throwin the Nokian studs on and Git'n 'r' done!!!
    p.s. I raced the NRS for 4 years and loved it......thats why I trust Giant to improve on their existing product. Not to mention out of the box it is like 1 to 1.5lbs lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You haven't tried the Anthem, but you still like the NRS better?