mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Smile Anthem SX 27.5 Specs Question

I have a couple questions about the specs on Giant's website, if anyone can help me out.
    Anthem SX 27.5 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States
    • It says under "Hubs": [R] 135x5mm QR, however my bike definitely does not have a QR. It looks like it bolts on. There is not quick release lever. What does 135x5 mean? Looking at new wheelsets, I only see 135x10. Will that work?
    • The tires listed (Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph) are not what was included on mine. I have a Maxxis Ardent and Ardent Race. Why are they different? What else is different that I am missing?
    • Can anyone tell me the handlebar length? It just says "Giant Contact, Low rise, 31.8mm".

Thank you!

mtbr member
    135mm is spacing and 5 or 10mm skewer. There's also 142x12 which is bit wider and thicker.
    135x9mm is what is called QR with 5mm skewer. 135x10mm is DT Swiss' RWS which fits qr bikes but hub needs to support it either via adapters or out of the box.
    IIRC, new Giants are convertible between those standards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Rear axle......it's basically the same as the old style quick release, but you unscrew the 5mm "bolt" and remove it completely before removing the wheel. Like a through axle.

Tires.....Mine (and everyone else that has posted) has come with the Maxxis tires. Probably a good thing as Schwalbes have a rep for being fragile. I like the Ardent race on the back, but the front Ardent was not confidence inspiring.

Bars.....730mm. Probably a 15mm rise.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't think the new schwalbes with snakeskin are particularly fragile. I thrashed the sidewall of my 2014 nobby nics off just about every rock i could find and not so much a as a scuff all season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks guys.So to be clear, I can buy a rear wheel with a 10x135mm QR hub and it will work with this frame?

NedwannaB
    Should. It's just a matter if different end caps. Maybe the hub you has those that you can switch out.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stuppie View Post
    I have a Maxxis Ardent and Ardent Race. Why are they different? .
    I have a Giant corporate store down the street from me. They claimed they had a problem sourcing enough schwalbe tires in time. So They come with the maxxis for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Rear hub....While I haven't tried to fit any other wheels in the back of my ASX, the rear hub appears to be the same as any other 10x135. And it appears to be a conventional axle, i.e, no end caps. Just an axle with locknuts.

Ardent vs. Ardent Race. The regular Ardent is supposed to be more agressive tread than the Race, which has smaller more tightly packed knobs for less rolling resistance. I like the Race on the rear, but the Ardent front didn't stay on the bike very long. Not enough cornering traction for me.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baja07 View Post
    I have a Giant corporate store down the street from me. They claimed they had a problem sourcing enough schwalbe tires in time. So They come with the maxxis for now.
    i feel the need to clarify this statement. There are two Giant stores in the province that i live in, and they are not corporate stores. In both cases they are privately owned bike shops, that have a deal with Giant to sell their products exclusively. This is important because customers should know they are dealing with a bike store like any other, that still has to deal with giant as a retailer. I do not believe giant has any retail stores that are corporately owned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    I do not believe giant has any retail stores that are corporately owned.
    Yes the giantrowlandheights.com in Rowland Heights, CA. They claim to be a corporate store. I have never had a more friendly experience walking into this store. They make you feel like family. Check out the article New SoCal retailer opens as Giant Store | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    lol even the title of the article says it's privately owned. If you want to open a bike store you can enter into an agreement with Giant to only carry their bikes, which i'm sure comes with some special perks. It's still a privately owned store though, and from my experience they don't get any better service from giant than a non factory store.