Thread: anthem sizing??

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

anthem sizing??

Im 5'11" and ride a 19"xtc. Im looking to get an anthem but cant decide to go down to the 18" (which has much the same geometry as 19"xtc) or to get the 20". Ill use it for xc racing only, Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm 6.1, I got the 18" and with 120mm stem fits like a glove.
    The Anthem has large top tube, go for the 18".

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Anthem size

Quote Originally Posted by aelwell
    Im 5'11" and ride a 19"xtc. Im looking to get an anthem but cant decide to go down to the 18" (which has much the same geometry as 19"xtc) or to get the 20". Ill use it for xc racing only, Any suggestions?
    I am also 5'11" and have been riding 18.5-19" frames for years but decided to get the 20" Anthem since the top tube length matched my older frames closer on the 20" than the 18"". I think you can go with either the 18" and get a slighty longer stem, or take the 20" and get a shorter stem such as 100-110mm rather than the stock 120 mm. The 20" Anthem feels like a big bike but it fits me quite well with a shorter stem and riser bar. I would probably pick the 18" if i would get a new one.

/Dave

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am 5'8'' and went for the 18''. I love it and I beleive it fits me perfectly. The anthem is designed to have longer top tube to compensate for the steeper head angle. If you get a small bike, it will become instable.

I suggest that if you used to ride a Medium (as suggested by the manufacturer) size, go for a medium size. if you used to ride a Large, estay in Large ..... (unless you purposely want a bigger bicycle)

mtbr member
    Im 6 foot got the 18.

make mine fixed
    I'm 6' 3" and got the 22". My inseam is 33" so I have a long torso and arms. Proportionally, my calves should be a couple inches longer. You should ride before you buy, unless you're going to order the bike online, then make your best guess. Different body proportion, flexibility, experience level, ride style, bike handling characteristics, types of trails you ride, etc., will have people around the same height choose different sizes. Your situation is not a complete guess since your already ride a similar bike in the 19" xtc.

I actually started out on an 18.5" NRS in 03. I was out of shape, not as flexible, with no mountain biking experience. I felt too stretched out on the 20.5" and had difficulty elevating the front. After some experience, the 18.5 was a size too small. High speed downhill corners were twitchy and steep climbing wouldn't let me put enough weight on the front. Now, I like the longer wheel base for descending and getting me stretched out and down for steep climbing. My flexibility and core work need constant attention. My lower back was sore the first couple of rides on the Anthem.
    Rigid keeps you one with the ground vertically. Fixed keeps you one with the ground horizontally.

mtbr member
    Check all the brand pages for this generic Q. A good question, between sizes with any bike. I chose bigger for longer ride comfort, Dh is better on a bigger bike too. For racing the smaller is probably better.