mtbr member

Anthem creaking noise

I'm getting serious creaking in my Anthem 1. I know it's NOT seatpost creak or the cranks. It happens in the saddle, out of the saddle, pedaling, not pedaling. And it happens on the smallest bumps (e.g. riding on a sidewalk).

I'm pretty sure it's the pivots. I've lubed them but that doesn't seem to help. In the next day or so I'll take them apart and clean them, but just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and had a remedy. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey, I don't have the same bike (trance X0), but I was also having a squeak that was diving me nuts. Sitting, standing, pedaling, coasting, etc. Checked seat/post/chain/BB/pedals/etc.

Turned out that it was my wheelset, just a drop of lube on each spoke nipple and silence. Beautiful.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    could be the shock eyelet. take apart an clean it, no lube per fox

mtbr member
    mine creaks as well. I think its the headset cups. I will take them out tomorrow and clean them. I'll post again if it fixes the noise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    mine creaks as well. I think its the headset cups. I will take them out tomorrow and clean them. I'll post again if it fixes the noise.
    I thought about the headset, too. I took the bearings out last night and cleaned off the grit, blew everything out with compressed air, and re-assembled. I did not actually remove the head cups, just the bearings. Iím still getting the noise. Are you actually going to remove the head cups?

I also took the pivots apart and cleaned them. They werenít that dirty, but I did notice there felt like a little bit of grit inside the bearings. Not sure if thatís the issue.

Let me know how the headset procedure goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    On my NRS (before Anthem) I had creaks that were driving me nuts - I had taken everything apart and cleaned and lubed. Did it again and found out that the Loctite that I had put onto the pivot bolts to hold them in place had leaked into the bolt/bearing interface - cleaned up an silence ruled - suggestion...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Mine also creaked. I then dismantled the rear suspension. Only to find that the bearings were all "stiff". I removed the rubber seals of some of the bearings with a tiny screwdriver only to find that most of them were rusted and dry. Wow! the only two bearings in a working state were the smallest two (I packed them with grease after finding them "dry" a few months ago.
    How did this happen?
    I did an endurance race a few months ago (9 days, 966km). One of the services rendered by the organizers was a bike wash. These guys used high pressure hoses to clean the bikes.
    I suspect that water entered the seals under high pressure and caused the rust.
    A new set of bearings cost me $20 at a bearing shop.
    I removed the seals of the new bearings (try not to damage them) just to see how much lube is in there. The answer: very little. The manufacturers of these bearings cater for high rotational speed, not for a to and fro motion of a bike suspension. I packed the new bearings with grease to see if I can increase their life.
    I will be able to tell you in a year if I was successfull.

Bottom line: Carefull with that 120 Bar hose! Use it on something else.