cowbell

Anthem BB compatibility

Having switched my 2013 Anthem over to 1x10 using a Wolf Tooth ring, I feel that 1x is the way of the future. Sadly, I also think that the 36 tooth ring may be to big, but that's the smallest ring I can put on a 120 BCD crank. So, I can look at other SRAM BB30 cranks, or I can look into ...other options. Except BB30 is pretty much only SRAM stuff as far as I can see. What do I need to do to use a 104 Shimano crank on the Anthem frame? Basically, I'm looking for options.

Your Best Friend
    I don't know where you got BB 30 from. The Anthem doesn't use that standard.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

cowbell
    Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I know a lot more about riding bikes than what standards are called. It uses a press fit BB, PF30 I think - at least mine that came with X7 cranks does.Which means any crank compatible with BB30 will work with that BB. I think. See, that's where I could be wrong. But when I look for that, I get only SRAM stuff.

So maybe...what do I have to do to run a 104 BCD crankset on my '13 AX2 that came with SRAM cranks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Anthem BB compatibility

Your Anthem has a GPX press fit BB. Not a BB30. Your SRAM cranks are GPX as well. BB30 will not fit.
    If you want to run a Shimano BB71 press fit BB. You could also use a Shimano BB91 which is the same but XTR level.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Anthem BB compatibility

You can get down to 30t on 104bcd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Having switched my 2013 Anthem over to 1x10 using a Wolf Tooth ring, I feel that 1x is the way of the future. Sadly, I also think that the 36 tooth ring may be to big, but that's the smallest ring I can put on a 120 BCD crank. So, I can look at other SRAM BB30 cranks, or I can look into ...other options. Except BB30 is pretty much only SRAM stuff as far as I can see. What do I need to do to use a 104 Shimano crank on the Anthem frame? Basically, I'm looking for options.
    Praxis Works | Conversion Kit
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

cowbell
    Thanks for clearing up the BB issue. I was going by what a shop mechanic said. I haven't known much about bottom brackets since square tapers started coming in sealed cartridges. Upon further examination, you can see "GXP" on one of the seals visible in the gap between the crank arm and the frame. That solves my problem entirely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Anthem BB compatibility

You can get the sram X0 DH and XX1 cranks in gxp. I have the former with 104BCD wide narrow teeth on single speed, and the latter on 1X10 on another bike (but bb30).

Out of interest, I nearly went for an anthem x1 29 2013 in the sales and would have put X01 on it to bring it down to a decent weight, would i need a GXP version rather than bb30?

Your Best Friend
    Yes. Everyone needs to forget BB30 when talking about anything Giant.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Anthem BB compatibility

Right. Good to know. What put me off was the steerer being odd as well - limited stems.