mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Anthem Advanced SID fork pressure?

Got to ride my new Anthem today for the first time. I ran the rear shox at 175 psi and started with the fork at 80psi. I weigh 185 in riding gear and had sag of a little less than 20% on the fork and 30% on the rear shox. I noticed after warming up on the first trail I had used all the available travel on the fork so I upped the pressure to 90 and went for another couple miles of semi tech trail with some decent g outs. Again I used all travel and at one point had a resounding thud as I bottomed out the fork. Next was an even hundred, I still used all the travel but there were no thuds. I ran no platform on the RLT fork and middle platform on the rear shox which seems perfect. I tried going to the middle platform on the fork but really did not like the ride quality. What kind of fork pressures are you guys finding work best for you? I had rebound one click slow from 50% and LS compression at 3 clicks off full.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The thought occured to me last nite that I set this initial sag on new suspension components, I have not rechecked sag again since yesterdays first ride but wonder if maybe the 20% sag on the fork may be from initial prebreak in of the fork?

mtbr member
    Of course, where a fork bottoms out in relation to how much air is in it will be related to terrain and riding style. At your weight, if you were riding where I ride, I'd tell you to start at 105 psi up front. I like to use all my travel, but I always like to wonder exactly where I used it (I don't tend to notice when I bottom out, it just barely happens) which means I vary the pressure in my fork with where I'm riding. I pay very little attention to sag, except to say that there IS always a reasonable amount, although sometimes it's more and sometimes it's less than recommended.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I currently have a steel and carbon 29er HT both with Fox RLC's and never use full travel at 80psi. The SID seems to have less stiction than the fox forks, it is very linear across the entire stroke

davidcarson48
    Same bike/fork here. I'm 210 pounds RTR and I settled on 120psi in the fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks DC, sounds like I am getting close. Think I will try 105 next time out and see where I end up in used travel