mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Anthem Advanced 27.5 sizing and vs. comparable bikes

So I've searched/read a fair amount and have narrowed things down. Long story short, cut my teeth on full rigid back in the 80's and 90's, logging a lot of miles and races, though I did end up on a YBBeat for a few years. Had a lot of years not riding for a variety of reasons, injuries and chronic back being some of them. Got back into it a few years ago and picked up a Salsa Spearfish and also a Ventana FS tandem as my wife is getting into riding. I then had back problems flare up and was off the bike, and sold the Salsa as I didn't really care for the handling.

Anywho after about 2 months of rehab my back is getting back to where I can ride, and I'm looking for a suitable FS ride. I don't want/need a ton of travel as I favor quick handling and tend to "ride light." Plus I like climbing. Narrowed down to Anthem Advanced 27.5 1 or 2 (if I can find a closeout 2014, it'll be the 1), but also think the 5010 and Flux might be viable. I keep coming back to the Giant as the best bang for buck and also best fit with quickest handling. I'm 6'1" and typically would ride a 20" for off-road but am thinking I might want to size up as I'm not going to go full nuts - mostly fire road and sweeping single track. Any insight on sizing and how these bikes run would be appreciated.

It's about showing up.
    6' 0", 34" inseam. Pretty average proportions. Rode XC geometry/racing HT steel. Old school style stretched out. AA 1, size Large. Reduced stem from 100 to 90. I'm guessing you'll be fine on the same bike.

At my age of 62 my HT was beating me up. As far as your comfort and trail use, carbon and a pretty plush 100mm make a nice solution.

What bike are you coming from? Model/year, size, stem...
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 08-01-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I am also 6'1" and ride XL on the Anthem and Trance, with shorter stems for better hanldling (IMO). I tried the L with a short stem and felt crowded and knocked my knees a few times while climbing out of saddle. I actually have a 2014 Anthem Adv 0 for sale that is pristine and about 6mos old. I race for a Giant team and am selling my bikes to prepare for 2015 bikes arriving, starting next week. Lemme know if interested...I have tons of parts and could spec out just how you want, or exactly as stock. Check out my paid classified...2014 XL Giant Anthem, Trance, Trance Sx Advanced 0 27.5 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

It's about showing up.
    argibson:

1) What is your inseam?

2) What stem do you use on the XL?

2) Are there any wins left in that Anthem?
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    ybtodd, I crunched all of these numbers in Nov 2013. For 27.5:

The 5010 Carbon , apples/apples was about $1600 more than the AA1 with a 1 more slack head tube. The large had a 20 mm longer wheelbase, and a 5mm shorter virtual top tube with 30mm more travel.

The Flux was an alloy frame at about $450 more with the same angles, 45mm longer wheelbase than the AA, 20mm longer virtual top tube and 120 mm travel.

I have herd many guys go to 120 mm travel for the AA but i stayed with 100.

Why am I doing this? I'm stalling starting a chimney demo here at home. It is going to be messy.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Not sure if it helps, or if you've seen it, but here's a chart by Giant: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backo...frame_size.pdf

mtbr member

Thanks Mike. I wear a 34" inseam pant, but unsure of exact. Will measure. In downieville this weekend, but will post by Sunday night. I use a 70mm on the anthem XL. The bike has only been ridden for a handful of xc races and a couple rides...I am more of an am rider and primarily race Enduro. It is super fresh.

Btw, the giant size chart is away off IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm 6'2" with 34.5 inseam . Both my previous giants have been L only because the resale on XL bikes locally is virtually zero. The top tube maesurements are pretyy consistant across the range and are average in lengthand on the short side for those preferring really short stems. i squeeze into a L anthem 29er using and 80mm stem and 760 to 780mm bars and a set back post. Next bike , if it's a Giant will definately be an XL. i'll have to keep it til I die. i don't use a stretched out xc posn , but a neutral trail posn, bars approx same height as the seat.

Giant sizing chart is way off unless you want to use a 100mm stem. I'd look at santa cruz bronson or tallboy lt and use their sizing guide. They have similar top tube and seat angles in equavalent seat tube lengths.

It's about showing up.
    Yeah, the Giant Size-O-Meter doesn't work for me, either. I'm not sure who they are addressing.

ybtodd's case is not unusual; someone who is on the cusp of sizing.

BTW, I use a pretty neutral trail position. My years of racked out racing set-up are done. Over time as I aged my cockpit got smaller. Finding the heart of the AA was pretty easy for me.

gvs_nz, I am interested that in spite of being on an XL your cockpit is not much different than mine, reach wise, and you have a longer torso. Going with an XL, with a VTT 20mm longer than mine and then going with a 70mm stem make my Large with a 90mm stem about the same. The difference is in the shortness of the stem as it effects steering.

Again, stalling on the chimney. spent the AM in the attic room laying plastic, canvas and tarps.

Hi-ho, hi-ho....here I go.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm on a L. Next time it wil be on an XL. My L AX 29er came with 100mm stem and 680 bars. i immediately swapped out to 90 stem and 720 bars.I now run a 120 fork, and In keeping with my other bikes, I'm out to 760/ 780 bars and 80 stem[ similar reach]. Shorter stem widr bars gives simialr reach to long stem narrow bars . it speeds up the steering abit and you find the wheel doesn't steer the bars as much[ not as much a problem on 27.5] I still ride plenty of flat trails and moderate length stem is god for weighting the tire in loose flat conditions. On my Satori with it's slack 29er front end and long wheelbase I ride 60mm stem to speed up the steering.Less 29erish.
    The ax 27.5 is pretty short and steep so longish stems may still be required to stop it shooting off the edge of the trail anytime you sneeze.I'd be chucking a 120 fork on immediately if i got one.

It's about showing up.
    Chimney down. Ugh. No riding this weekend; I still have to fix rafters, repair the roof and do shingles but it is on the run.

gas_zn, really good info. I learned a lot from your description.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member

So I measure a 34.5" inseam and am 6'1.5". XL with short stem was best for me on anthem and trance.

mtbr member
    I have only really ridden the Anthem Adv 0 for a few rides to dial in, and five XC races. It netted (all expert) a 2nd at Cool, 6th at Napa, 6th at Sea Otter, 5th at Boggs (2P), and 3rd at Downieville XC. It doesnt have any crash damage or any signs of wear...super fresh and TONS of wins left in it It really still feels new. I have two Trances (Adv 0 and Sx) and a Defy Adv 0 road bike, so it has hardly been ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    argibson:

Are there any wins left in that Anthem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by argibson View Post
    So I measure a 34.5" inseam and am 6'1.5". XL with short stem was best for me on anthem and trance.
    With the large, could you get enough length out of the seat post. I am 5'11" and have the same inseam, with a shorter body. Hoping I can get enough length out of the seat post. Thanks

mtbr member

No, tried that. Only way to fit on large is with 90mm stem. I prefer shorter stem. Moving saddle back on seat post rails will jack your knees. The position of saddle on seat post rails is only relative to cranks. Generally put cranks parallel with ground and have front knee patella protrusion directly above pedal axle. I use a plumb bob.

Btw, I have a 2014 XL anthem adv 0 27.5 for sale for a great price of your looking. Sponsored by giant and got a 2015 (no difference, just get new every year regardless). My 2014 is in almost new condition. Just used it for a few XC races. Almost no training.

And yes I bought an ad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for that, were you able to get enough length out of the seat post, not sure if you answered it, I may be looking at it wrong. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Btw I prefer a longer stem so I will put a 90 or 100 mm stem on straight away.

mtbr member

Seatpost length wasn't an issue on the L, just top tube length.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by argibson View Post
    Seatpost length wasn't an issue on the L, just top tube length.

Thankyou for clarifying that, hopfully I have the same result