Thread: Anthem 29er X1

mtbr member

Anthem 29er X1

Anybody seen one of these in person? The picture on the website makes the color scheme look a bit weird to me... somewhat batman-like (which may actually be pretty sweet), but I know these often can look a lot better in person...

Thinking about ordering one real soon, and while color doesn't way heavily into my decision, I'd still like it to look good. Got a while to decide tho, unfortunately the only Giant dealership here in Fort Collins can't get one until after October. Boo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem 29er X1-anthem_x_29er_1.jpg  

May contain nuts
    They look fine in person, unlike this, which looks like it belongs to a Power Ranger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem 29er X1-109.jpg  

DaFaJa
    I like the White, Red & Black
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My opinion is the black and yellow X1 looks better in person than it does in the dealer book.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ordered an x1 without seeing it. It looks much better in person.

mtbr member
    thanks all. im going to order one. gotta sell my fuel ex first though. sucks the bike shop cant get me one until after October. Yikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I guess I like the "Power Ranger" look 'cause I liked the X1 in person!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    thanks all. im going to order one. gotta sell my fuel ex first though. sucks the bike shop cant get me one until after October. Yikes!
    I have had mine for about one month. Color scheme is ok but frankly I just prefer anno finish anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem 29er X1-anthem-x-29er.jpg  

mtbr member
    I still think the first AX29 from 2011 was the best looking one they came out with:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_gener..._72dpiWIDE.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I still think the first AX29 from 2011 was the best looking one they came out with:

Yeah. I second that.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleGeorge View Post
    Yeah. I second that.
    Let's all agree to disagree That had to be one of the most gawdawfull bikes ever made. I think they fired that graphics artist.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post

Agreed

mtbr member
    Just picked up an XL Anthem x 1 today. I only rode it home from store so no real opinions yet other than it fits well, and suspension feels good. The CTD is super easy to use and is user friendly. It wieghed 27 on the nose on the shop scale. I put my xt brakes, haven carbon bar, hopes w. arches, thompson seatpost and SLR saddle on. It will be interesting to see what the new weight is. I am guessing 26.5? Lastly, it looks way better in person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem 29er X1-securedownload.jpeg  

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    The fact is that the BEST thing about the Anthem x29er is the way it rides.

Color schemes and paint preferences will always be a personal choice and as they say, 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

Personally, I would choose a bike with better ride characteristics & design over a bike with a better paint job. (And I know that is subjective as well)

Having a 2011 Anthem x 29er, I feel that I got both. ( Love the way it rides and the polished alloy frame.)

If you've got an Anthem, you no doubt enjoy it every time you hit the trail, regardless of the color scheme.

Enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Can't wait to get my AX1, the LBS only has an AX3 in stock right now :-\

First upgrade will be a set of American Classic race wheels... then seatpost/stem/bars for Crank bros carbon parts..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I currently have an XTC 2 and just called my local dealer to find out when I can get one of these. I personaly don't care what people say about Giant bikes my XTC handles great although the Elixir ones suck ass. I am realy looking forward to getting this bike and if anyone has any opinion on the Elixirs 5's. I am 215 lbs so I need stuff that works and stops me, if they suck I will have them upgraded right off the bat with the local shop. Going for a set of hope Pro's for th XTC other then that the bike works fine, well the rear derailleur sucked so that was replaced but other then that a solid bike for the price. I have been riding it since the spring and have close to 2000 kms on it, all off road and its still solid. I hope the Anthem is the same seeing that the frame is the same other then the rear sup added of course. I am in Canada so it might be 2013 before I can get it, waiting on call back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    I currently have an XTC 2 and ...the Elixir ones suck ass. I am realy looking forward to getting this bike and if anyone has any opinion on the Elixirs 5's. I am 215 lbs...
    I have the Elixir 5's on my Anthem 29er. They are okay. They do garble a bit. They are not quite powerful enough for me (255lbs). I have ordered a 203mm front disc and will be taking my 185mm (180mm) front disc and moving it to my rear brake and putting the 203mm up front. Hopefully that helps with the power department.

I'll probably replace with XTs, but I'm holding off this year as money is tight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    I have the Elixir 5's on my Anthem 29er. They are okay. They do garble a bit. They are not quite powerful enough for me (255lbs). I have ordered a 203mm front disc and will be taking my 185mm (180mm) front disc and moving it to my rear brake and putting the 203mm up front. Hopefully that helps with the power department.

I'll probably replace with XTs, but I'm holding off this year as money is tight.
    I will most likely buy the hope brakes and put them on the new bike and take those 5's and drop them on the XTC. Since the Anthem will be my main ride might as well stick the goodies on that one. Have a brand new pair of carbon bars that will be goiong on it as well. Shop called and said they will be available in 3 weeks, I said no rush palnning on after Xmas purchase.Just got a new to me trials frame (META)and I need new forks and brake for it, damn all these bikes are putting me in the poor house lol.

mtbr member
    I've got Hope Techs on my hardtail with the 180/160 floating rotors and they are not as powerful as my Elixirs, although they modulate much better. Food for thought. Using sintered pads on both brake setups.

The four pot Hopes are probably better than my two pots, so if you're talking M4s, those should be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah was looking at those 4 pots and also was thinking of going big and getting some formula's, hear nothing but good stuff from them but the price tag kinda hurts. I might look at Mag's as well, they kick ass on the trials scene and MTB is not as hard on brakes as trials is.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I went for the AX3 29er, just cause I like the Black/white/red colours!

And just changed the groupset to XT with SLX brakes..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looked at one yesterday at LBS that is mostly white. Looks good.