mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Anthem 29er or Trance 29er ??

I'm narrowing down the search for a full suspension 29er. I was surprised to see the Anthem and the Trance? I live in the Phoenix Metro area and the riding around here is cross country with rocks, hills with rocks and technical with rocks. I guess I would say that I'm more of a trail rider than someone that negotiates the rocky tech stuff, but my friends will probably drag me through most anything at some time. . I'm a noob, I moved here in March which is when I started mountain biking on a new 2011 Giant XTC 29er hard tail.
    So what are the differences between the Anthem 29er 1 and the Trance 29er1 ??
    What is your personal preference?
    Last edited by Licketysplit; 12-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Team Velveeta™

race .vs trail .vs all mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Licketysplit View Post
    I'm narrowing down the search for a full suspension 29er. I was surprised to see the Anthem and the Trance? I live in the Phoenix Metro area and the riding around here is cross country with rocks, hills with rocks and technical with rocks. I guess I would say that I'm more of a trail rider than someone that negotiates the rocky tech stuff, but my friends will probably drag me through most anything at some time. . I'm a noob, I moved here in March which is when I started mountain biking on a new 2011 Giant XTC 29er hard tail.
    So what are the differences between the Anthem 29er 1 and the Trance 29er1 ??
    What is your personal preference?
    Anthem is more XC/XC Endurance race bike, Trance is a trail bike. Anthem is shorter travel front and rear, steeper and quicker steering. Trance is a little longer travel and a little slacker and more stable.

I'd guess that, having seen the Phoenix area riding, and not hearing you say that you are a racer, you are either Trance or Reign.

Reign is a little longer travel and a little slacker and more stable than the Trance. Reign is on the All Mountain end of the Trail Bike spectrum.

When you say you are a noob and get challenged by your friends to ride tougher stuff than is in your natural comfort level, I'd advise you to actually look at the Reign. Having a more stable and longer travel bike is more forgiving. A bike that is more forgiving will let you accomplish more, which will be positive reinforcement to try more. That leads to getting better.

Probably wouldn't go wrong with either Trance or Reign. Unless you are going to race, and race to win. But I think you could go wrong with the Anthem. I think it would be harder for you to learn to ride the difficult terrain. And why, unless you want to race?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No, I'm not a real racer. The races I would enter would be more of a survival run, achieve better fitness ect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I brought my Anthem to Az last year.

It worked fine. Given the choice, I would have had even more fun on the Trance.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I wouldn't suggest the Anthem based on your local rocky (South Mountain) terrain. Trance X29 has a bit more travel and slacker head tube angle.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    I like XC racing. I like the feel of an XC race bike. I currently ride a hard tail 29er that was perfect for the trails and races where we lived before. When we moved to Grand Junction (rocky!) I still hung onto the idea of getting a short travel full suspension race bike. Then one day I rented a Trance 29er and did The Whole Enchilada and was forever changed. The bike felt way squishier and slacker than anything I was used to. I didn't think I would like it, and I didn't. I loved it! Riding that bike was the most fun I've had on a bike in years. I'll probably keep my hard tail for the occasional race, but for the other 99% of my riding, I'm thinking the Trance will just be much more fun... and isn't that the point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a friend that just got a Trance 29 for mainly semi-technical singletrack. Even though she says it's probably more travel than she needs, she still loves it and likes having the versitility to do AM riding as well. The slacker geometry is certainly not an issue for her.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubeck View Post
    I like XC racing. I like the feel of an XC race bike. I currently ride a hard tail 29er that was perfect for the trails and races where we lived before. When we moved to Grand Junction (rocky!) I still hung onto the idea of getting a short travel full suspension race bike. Then one day I rented a Trance 29er and did The Whole Enchilada and was forever changed. The bike felt way squishier and slacker than anything I was used to. I didn't think I would like it, and I didn't. I loved it! Riding that bike was the most fun I've had on a bike in years. I'll probably keep my hard tail for the occasional race, but for the other 99% of my riding, I'm thinking the Trance will just be much more fun... and isn't that the point.
    Next time you should try a Reign on TWE. You thought the Trance was fun...

cowbell
    I'd lean towards the Trance. I think the Reign may be a bit of a handicap in the long run, but that's because I'm a bit of a 29er fanatic, and I'll admit that. I think unless you really intend to push the limits, you'll enjoy yourself more on the Trance than the Reign.

DFMBA.org
    I'm in the same boat as the OP and also live in Phoenix. Giant recently had a demo out at MMP and I went out there to ride the AX29 because that's what I thought I wanted. All were spoken for, so I was left with a TX29 which wasn't even on my radar at the time. Must of been fate (even tho I demoed a size larger) because I'm totally sold on the TX29. Man, this bike was a freakin' blast to ride. This, IMO, is a do-it-all bike for the varying AZ trails and now I'm not even considering an AX29. It rides a bit more upright than the AX29, according to the Giant rep, and that will translate into better comfort for the longer rides for me.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'd lean towards the Trance. I think the Reign may be a bit of a handicap in the long run
    Handicap? BLASPHEMY.
    but that's because I'm a bit of a 29er fanatic, and I'll admit that.
    Takes a big man to admit that.
    I think unless you really intend to push the limits, you'll enjoy yourself more on the Trance than the Reign.
    Here's the thing... if you're not someone that intends to "push the limits"... you *will* become one on the Reign.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Handicap? BLASPHEMY.

Takes a big man to admit that.

Here's the thing... if you're not someone that intends to "push the limits"... you *will* become one on the Reign.
    lol - fair enough. Maybe I'm too much of an old man to want to push my limits any further along than they are.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    lol - fair enough. Maybe I'm too much of an old man to want to push my limits any further along than they are.
    Don't blame age, holmes. I'm an old dude too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Only Adam Craig can win races on 29er trance for fun trance for race anthem

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    The Anthem X29er is a must bike to ride all the trails around the Sonoran Desert. I used to lived in Tucson, and ride most of the trails around it, If I will be back their to ride, I'm bringing my Anthem with me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I own an 2012 Anthem X 29er 0 and my closest riding buddy has a 2013 Trance X 29er 1. We both switched from hard tails to full suspension at the same time. He has about six months more riding experience than I do.

The Trance feels better on a rooty or rocky technical climb.
    The Anthem is more precise on the flats and descents.
    The Anthem turns slightly faster (switchbacks, bowl turns...).
    The Trance bombs a stair case like it isn't even there, you definitely feel it on the Anthem.

They are both really good bikes, he bought the Trance because the bike is retardedly fun to ride. You don't have to think, just sit down and pedal. The Anthem requires a bit of attention to detail. It gives amazing feedback from the front and rear and it will go where you point it.

I'm a motorcyclist more so than a cyclist, I like a lot of rear ride height on a street bike to get the flickability at the cost of front end stability (i.e. twitchy). I wanted the same from my mountain bike which pushed me towards the 100mm travel bikes, and the Anthem specifically for the race bike geometry.

I don't think you could go wrong with either bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Don't blame age, holmes. I'm an old dude too.

Yeah, but I bet you were fast when you were younger as well.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Licketysplit View Post
    Yeah, but I bet you were fast when you were younger as well.
    Naw - I'm way faster now than when I was younger.

But bikes were pretty $hitty back then.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    I have an Anthem 29 and am thinking about going to a Trance 29... I haven't raced XC in years (only endurance) and I like the stability of a slightly slacker head tube angle. I say go for the Trance which is more of an all-arounder.
    I read that on the internet.