Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anthem 29er going out, just ordered Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

My Anthem 29 X1 is probably the most enjoyable bike I've owned, with my only "gripe" being it is a bit unwieldy in rock gardens, tight switchbacks at speed. Not bad and I'm easily able to get it through whatever I need, but it's just not as accurate in certain areas where being precise would be more fun. But it also bombs through fast downhill and rough stuff like nothing I've ridden. I'm 5'5" and don't feel that the small frame is too big, it just doesn't flick as quick as I'd like once those big wheels are turning fast.

So after reading about the 27.5 Anthem decided to pull the trigger. It'll be an interesting experiment and sure there'll be pros and cons. the spec of the Advanced 1 is almost identical to what I have on my 29er X1 so looking forward to getting my own seat of the pants comparison.

The only change I'm making is switching to 3x10 and converting to tubeless before I get the bike. I'll probably also transfer over my lighter bars and stem/seat from the X1 and expecting it to be a bit lighter if not the same as the X1. the crests on my x1 are lighter than the 27.5 wheels so should even out.

Will update once I get some miles in to add to the 27.5 v 29 debate that will probably never end

Mark
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

It's about showing up.
    I look forward to hearing about the change after you have ridden it a while.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Why convert to 3x10? The XT crank on the anthem advanced 27.5 1 has a 64mm bolt circle for the small ring. You can put a 24T or even a 22T chainring on the front (specs say it comes with 26/38). My 2014 Trance 27.5 1 came with a 24/38 XT crank, and I put a 22T XT $20 chainring on it. Shifts up to the 38 ring with no issues. So I have all the usable gears as the 3x10 on my 2011 Anthem X 29er 2 (have a 22T on that too) with the ice touch of only worrying about 2 front rings. The 2x10 crank is lighter and you won't have to change your front derailleur either. Just something to think about!

mtbr member
    At the end I meant to say you wouldn't have to mess with your 2x10 left shifter or change any limit screw settings on the front derailleur if you just swap out the small chainring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog View Post
    At the end I meant to say you wouldn't have to mess with your 2x10 left shifter or change any limit screw settings on the front derailleur if you just swap out the small chainring
    For the trails we do, having the 24 or 22 is really a necessity if you don't want to be carrying your bike. On the flipside we generally ride from our house to the trail which is a few miles at least of road riding and having the bigger gear is nice. And we have some long fast downhills that I am using all I've got on the big ring. Not critical but fun to have that extra speed just the same.

But it is news to me that you can run that small on the 2x10...didn't think that could be done and worth considering. My lbs is looking for the 3x10 in black, and if that is a problem may just have them throw the 24 on there and see how it goes.(I was running 22 on my Anthem but thinking the smaller wheels might offset that need)

Thanks,

mg
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

It's about showing up.
    I went from a 11-34 cass with 22/32/42 chainring on my 26 (15.5 gear inches)

to a 11-36 case with a 26/38 on my Anthem 27.5 (17.5 gear inches)

I have always been a spinner and worried about the loss of the stump puller but it has been okay so far.

As for top end, my ride ends with a 200 yard paved moderate down which I sprint (I may hit 30-35), make a left and then sprint the last 100 yards on flat slight uphill. It's fine.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
    My Anthem 29 X1 is probably the most enjoyable bike I've owned, with my only "gripe" being it is a bit unwieldy in rock gardens, tight switchbacks at speed.
    2011 Anthem X 29 2 here. Same complaint. Tight switchbacks are tough. Love the bike in every other aspect that I forgive it. And I have a 6" AM bike for the super tech, so I only expect the Anthem to perform on XC stuff.

Glad to see I'm not weird and that there are other's who feel the same way as I do about the rear chainstays.

mtbr member
    Decided to go with the 2x10 and drop to a 24. And will hang onto the 26 too and might try that. Though my legs have the strength to pull the harder gears, knee and back problems will flare up if I push it. And staying with the 2x10 means I get my bike sooner . Also decided to pop for a set of Crests. Not a big weight difference, love them on the 29r, they have them in stock and it saves me the cost of going tubeless on the stock wheels.

Bike should be ready tomorrow and hope to hit the trails good and hard this weekend. A buddy is getting the same bike as mine (his is ready today) and he's coming off a SC Blur. Going to be fun comparing notes and seeing how we both ride on them We're pretty close climbing and descending and guessing with being on the same bike we'll be even closer.
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    I grew up in the motocross world and have always liked to steer with the back wheel. I found the best way to make the 29r work well in tight switchbacks was running a fairly low traction tire (small block 8). This let me flick the rear end fairly easily and was kind of fun riding that way. Not the fastest way to do things, but was like riding my bmx bike back in the old days sliding around turns. I'm not familiar with the tires that the 27.5 comes with, but they seem to get decent ratings. Maybe I'll be able to run something with a bit more grip and still get the thing to go around turns quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    2011 Anthem X 29 2 here. Same complaint. Tight switchbacks are tough. Love the bike in every other aspect that I forgive it. And I have a 6" AM bike for the super tech, so I only expect the Anthem to perform on XC stuff.

Glad to see I'm not weird and that there are other's who feel the same way as I do about the rear chainstays.
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Just picked her up tonight. Kept gearing the same for now, and threw on Stans Crest wheels, setup with the Racing Ralph's tubeless. The bike actually came out of the box with Crossmarks, but they swapped them for some new bike takeoff Ralph's. Very cool of them imo.

On the scale 24.50 with 970 pedals, so thinking with stock wheels probably 1/4 pound more. The stock wheels feel pretty light actually and will throw those on the scale soon.

Once home, put on my Easton EC70 flatbars, Thomson masterpiece seatpost and Spec toupe seat and now 23.9 including bell . Stem is too short for my Garmin but will probably put it on the bars.

Just goofing around on the street, feels light and small compared to my old bike though not really much lighter. The only obvious difference is how easy it is to wheelie compared to the 29r. Maiden voyage out in Chesebro tomorrow with my buddy that just bought the same bike, so hope I can sleep tomorrow.

mg
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Your right near my hood, mostly ride Lang Ranch, Wood Ranch, near Bell cyn, back side of Chesebro...good riding..have fun on the new bike!

mtbr member
    My riding areas also!
    Mg, let us know which Chesebro trails you try the bike on and your thoughts on it vs the AX29er. Also, what bike shop did you get your bike from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog View Post
    My riding areas also!
    Mg, let us know which Chesebro trails you try the bike on and your thoughts on it vs the AX29er. Also, what bike shop did you get your bike from?
    Short ride tomorrow,probably up sulphur springs and down cow bones. I live minutes from the parking lot so almost every week out there and will cover everything. The 29r handled the chopped up hardpack so much better than my 26r so will be an interesting "regression" that will hopefully leave me smiling.

Shout out to Newbury Park bike shop for a great deal and great service!
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Good to see both of you guys are out here, I think I will be at Wood Ranch and Long Ranch this Sunday...should be there at 800am. Sunday, if you want to ride I will be there, look for the Anthem 29er in the parking lot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
    Shout out to Newbury Park bike shop for a great deal and great service!
    Yep, that's where I got my Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Goes for you also, if you want to ride on Sunday.
    2013 Anthem Advanced 29er
    1999 Turner 02
    Raced for Mongoose Bikes from Alum,Carbon to TI.
    1987 Redline Mountain bike

mtbr member
    First ride yesterday, up the middle of Chesebro and impression within minutes is that the Racing Ralph's and Chesebro do not mix. Skating all over the hardback and couldn't hold a line on anything (maybe 30 psi back, a couple less front). But even with that, the bike climbs beautifully and made it through a couple of technical sections without a problem.

Did I mention I don't like the tires? Descending cow bones got off line, hit a bush wrong that basically launched me 30 feet down the trail. Grateful I didn't break my neck, very cut up, and separated my shoulder. Not a good start on a new bike, scratched the crap out of the top tube where the lever hit but otherwise bike appears o.k.

The crash was just one of those things, the bike was doing just fine. User error due to mis-judging my speed and ability to get out of harms way. Just had no traction, but I already knew that and should've slowed down. Oh well.....as soon as I can use my shoulder again will change the tires and try things again.

Was running an Ikon front and small block 8 on the 29r which worked great in our hardpack/dust conditions so will probably go back to that. Any recommendations from the local guys?

For now, happy to be alive and walking (pumped up on Advil)

Mark
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    New bikes and different tyres need a conservative rider for a few days....

Check the racing Ralph's - I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are the " performance" version which tends to mean rock hard and no grip - especially given they are take offs ( schwalbe do loads of their crap performance range as oem)

mtbr member
    Same tires that you have, ride the same trails no problem...with your mx background kinda suprised. I run 35lbs with tubes.
    1999 Turner 02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman43 View Post
    Same tires that you have, ride the same trails no problem...with your mx background kinda suprised. I run 35lbs with tubes.
    From what I've read, expected greatness.

My buddy on the same bike had the same feeling I did. Bike was all over the place. Never felt planted on the hard stuff. I'd started closer to 35 psi and quickly dropped down.

The tire is whatever model Giant specs for the bike, same as my friends. Will check to see if the performance model, not inclined to give them another chance.

The real frustration to me is that I knew the tires weren't making me happy so I did slow down a bit. So I was off my normal full speed line and got in trouble. Had I just done my usual, probably would've avoided. could've, would've should've...all I thought about last night trying to find a comfortable position to sleep.....
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    Its a new bike, got to get used to it and make adjustments, example new bikes come with a stack of washers under your stem, makes the bike handle funny sometimes, most peps will take a few off to give the front end more traction by putting more pressure on the front tire when turning, take you time make adjustments...just like when you rode dirt bikes, got to adjust the bars, suspension ect.

Learn live ride hard and take advil!
    1999 Turner 02

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=Mark16q;10958912
    Was running an Ikon front and small block 8 on the 29r which worked great in our hardpack/dust conditions so will probably go back to that. Any recommendations from the local guys?

For now, happy to be alive and walking (pumped up on Advil)

Mark[/QUOTE]

You'll find the lack of traction due to down sizing wheel size.In the same wheel size. Ra Ra 2.25 has much more cornering traction than either Ikon or SB8. I run the ikon as a rear 29er tire and something like a xking 2.2 or Ra Ra 2.25 up front in comparison. Take a close look at the tread design, you'll see that compared to the other two Ra Ra actually has a good edge once you get on it and is wider.

Just one of those things yopu going to have to consider when downsizing wheels. Now your going to need haevier beefier tires so you handling is going to slow down and get closer to the Ax if it was running the Ra Ra.

I run all 3 wheel sizes. I can run 2.2's in 29er and have to up size to 2.4's in 26". In 27.5 I can get buy with a good 2.25 like a HD but it's generally closer to a 2.35 that does the majority of my trail conditions.

It's hard to recommend a 27.5 tire for you. Tire choice is very subjective.
    I actually like the cheaper No Ni performance 2.35 as a general loose over hard tire. The Evo snakeskin is slower and the edge tread is too soft for the tread design. The performance has a firmer edge that bites well.Wears better to and much cheaper. Theyr'e a dual compound quality tire. NOT TLR but anything can be set up tubeless with abit of extra tape. What did we ever do before TLR came along.

I used to like the Neo 2.1 as a step up from the No Ni[it's actually the same size even though it's a 2.1] Slower though.

You may want to try the Ro Ro but if your having trouble with the ra Ra you may also struggle with the Ro Ro even though it has better shoulder but less edge grip.

Xking 2.4 is a step up from the Ro Ro in traction, slower[ the Ro Ro is very very fast] but faster than the No Ni. Traction is in between the No Ni performance and the Ro Ro. take a look at a Ro Ro and a X king you'll see the tread is all most identical. The xking edge tread is slightly closer spaced and the xking 2.4 is only slightly wider and taller. The xking 2.4 is a narrow 2.4 and the Ro Ro punches above it's race only spec.The slightly taller wider spaced shoulder tread works better than the Ra Ra on loose over hard . But I wouldn't rate it much if any above the Ra Ra in hard pack loamy conditions. I'd keep the ra Ra on the rear till it wears out anyway.

What pressures are you running. That soft pliant casing has got to be allowed to conform and grip. Start by dividing your weight by 7 and then let some more out till you feel them squirm then add a psi or two. You should now be at optimum tire pressure for cornering traction. you'll also find that is the pressure you just avoid snakebites and or burping if your running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman43 View Post
    Its a new bike, got to get used to it and make adjustments, example new bikes come with a stack of washers under your stem, makes the bike handle funny sometimes, most peps will take a few off to give the front end more traction by putting more pressure on the front tire when turning, take you time make adjustments...just like when you rode dirt bikes, got to adjust the bars, suspension ect.

Learn live ride hard and take advil!
    First thing I did when I brought the bike home was drop stem and put on my old bars, exact same setup as before. Pretty much every measurement was within mm's of the old bike, and the new bike felt great position wise and overall handling. Guess I'm just used to the lower profile tires that are a lot less squirmy. they slide but they are more predicable than what I felt yesterday.

And putting the tire issue aside, crashes happen. We all ride hard, and sometimes it just bites us in the ass. Like I'd said, happy to be walking, pumping Advil and will be back sooner than I probably should be

And though agreed the 27.5 isn't going to hold the same as the 29, my buddy was coming off a 26 with pretty much bald tires and felt like he was all over the place.
    The small knobs on the hardpack just didn't seem to be grabbing in at all.
    '11 Giant Anthem X1 29er
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

mtbr member
    That is correct, 29ers do track better. sounds like you getting it dialed .

Ride hard party harder!
    1999 Turner 02

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Heavier tire with more tread will make it track closer to a 29er.

I can get all three wheel sizes tracking very similar just depends on geo and tire choice.

There's too many variables to define the ride qualities of a bike by wheel size alone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast