mtbr member
    Nov 2013

anthem 29er - fox or rockshox

I can purchase new (full XT on both bikes), last year's rockshox model for a grand cheaper than the current fox bike, in my area. Could someone school me on which you would choose (ride characteristics, service etc.) and why? Not planning to race; just half/full day rides.

mtbr member
    The only bikes in Giant's 29er Anthem range that have full XT for 2014 with Fox and full XT for 2013 with rockshox are the 2014 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 (retail $4650) and the 2013 Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 (retail originally $4800).
    Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

With the 2014 for $1000 more you get fork and shock with CTD (climb, trail, descend) compression settings (i.e. three choices) and rebound adjust vs. Rockshox fork and shock only having lockout and rebound, the 2014 has a larger 180mm front rotor and has a crank with 24tooth granny front vs. 26mm tooth, and the 2014 has the shadow plus rear dérailleur.
    The Rockshox SID historically has been a good fork, maybe one of the ones more on par with Fox, however the Monarch shock isn't considered on par with the Fox float.
    It will come down to how much fork and shock adjustability you want. I thought the CTD thing was overkill until I bought my 2014 Trance 27.5 1 that has it and find I use the different settings a lot.
    Regarding the 26 tooth on the 2013 crank, the chainring is probably 64mm bolt circle, so you could swap in a 24 tooth (or even 22 tooth) to give you easier pedaling granny gears. Upgrading the rotor to 180mm would be less than $50 including adapter.
    Try both bikes, if if its only in the parking lot to try to get a feel for suspension 'quality' and feel. If you think you won't mind the differences in the suspension, then saving the $1000 might be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Gonna give the thumbs up to the RS spec over the fox. I test rode the same 2013 you are looking at before ordering my Advanced 0 frame, the maestro suspension simply performs better with the rock shox. This has been echoed by several Anthem owners.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for the input.
    I'm thinking of buying the 2013 and spending the difference on upgrades/kit.

cowbell
    Most people on an Anthem don't really use the CTD settings on the Fox suspension. The platform is so good, they just leave them on trail or descend all the time, depending on the rider and how they set it up. In general, people I've talked to seem to prefer the RS on the Anthem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My SID remains full open and the monarch in the middle platform 99% of the time. Pretty much perfection.

mtbr member
    Prefer the ride of the RS over the Fox, but I've had reliability issues with both my RS SID fork and RS Monarch shock. The shocks seem to blow out easily. I went through 2 of them well before the recommended service interval as many other AX riders in our area have. I put a Fox RP23 on there...don't love the ride as much, but the thing is bulletproof. I've also had issues with air blowing past the seal from the positive chamber to the negative chamber on the fork, resulting in the bike sitting low in the travel (like 30% sag with no one on the bike) and it just blows right through the little bit of travel that it has. I've rebuild the fork, but that neg air piston seal must be pretty stubborn because it was back to the same problem after 10 hrs or so. Pretty frustrating!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I originally was going to write that I don't think there is $1000 worth of value in a Fox shock over RS. That being said, I just bought the 2014 with all Fox (granted, I got about $750 discount). I run 2013 ALU Anthem with Fox and I love it, so I was very hesistant to change the platform....

Your Best Friend
    RS is easily a better suspension for the Anthem. And I'll disagree with a previous post about the Monarch not being on par. The RS monarch has a far superior platform than the Fox which better compliments the Maestro. I've spent considerable time on Anthems with both suspension brands and the bike rides completely different with each. If you are more XC, go RS. More trail, go Fox.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides