mtbr member
    May 2012

Anthem 29 X1 Shock Questions

I called Fox and thought I downloaded the correct user manual for my front and rear shocks. The Front one has me wondering if I have a rebound adjustment on my lockout or if that knob adjusts the rebound when the fork is unlocked? See top of shock photo.

Second, there is an adjustment dial on the bottom of the right front fork and in the manual it says that is what is used to adjust the rebound, only the fitting does not look like and "adjuster knob"? And it does not look like I can turn it with my thumb? See bottom of shcok photo.

Lastly on my rear shock it seems like it is REAL cushy. Granted my last bike was a fully ridged 24 year old Diamondback. I pumped up this shock to get 0.38 sag when I sit on the bike and I have turned the knob to make it stiff, with 5 clicks left to go and it still seems to "kind" throw me a little on big bumps. However, I am used to riding a suspensionless bike and standing and sitting up on bumps, so maybe you all could give me some tips on adjusting to this bike? Also, look at the sag "O" ring and how much it has moved and I did not think I was really riding the bike that hard, but that is just me.

I weigh 195 lbs.

Of course the brakes are squelling like a stuck pig. I read back a ways that new brake pads could help a lot.

I also went tubeless.

I REALLY love this bike!!!!

Thanks
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem 29 X1 Shock Questions-2012-06-13_18-43-47_550.jpg  

Anthem 29 X1 Shock Questions-2012-06-13_18-43-09_515.jpg  

Anthem 29 X1 Shock Questions-2012-06-13_18-57-08_946.jpg  

Last edited by Billinsd; 06-13-2012 at 07:21 PM.

mtbr member
    On the fork, blue is lockout, red is rebound. The rebound is for when the fork is unlocked.
    The best thing to do with Giant rear suspension set up is this. Start with adding air at the same psi as your weight. That means with all gear on. Then add or remove air as needed. I read this once in a mag from one of Giant's race mechanic's. The article in the mag was on suspension set ups. I tried that on my Trance after reading it and that's how I set up my rear shock until the day I sold my frame. Since the Anthem is also a maestro design, I will assume the same trick will apply. Give it a try and see if it works out for you. You'll have to play around with the rebound settings for awhile, but once you find the sweet spot...leave it!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post

Lastly on my rear shock it seems like it is REAL cushy. Granted my last bike was a fully ridged 24 year old Diamondback. I pumped up this shock to get 0.38 sag when I sit on the bike and I have turned the knob to make it stiff, with 5 clicks left to go and it still seems to "kind" throw me a little on big bumps. However, I am used to riding a suspensionless bike and standing and sitting up on bumps, so maybe you all could give me some tips on adjusting to this bike? Also, look at the sag "O" ring and how much it has moved and I did not think I was really riding the bike that hard, but that is just me.

I weigh 195 lbs.

Of course the brakes are squelling like a stuck pig. I read back a ways that new brake pads could help a lot.

I also went tubeless.

I REALLY love this bike!!!!

Thanks
    Bill
    Its not the setting, its the RP2 shock. All my fox shocks have been that way, I thought there was something wrong with the VPP on my Tallboy until I replaced it with an RT3 and made a world of difference. Riding the RP23 was like riding a pogositck down the trail...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Riding the RP23 was like riding a pogositck down the trail...
    Yes, it is like a pogo stick, lol.
    Bill

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Yes, it is like a pogo stick, lol.
    Bill
    Put an Monarch RT or RT3 on there and you will be very glad you did

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am going to fool around with it. I did set it at about the slowest rebound and that helps a lot. Thanks for the help
    Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You shouldn't need more than 1/2 rebound. If you have any doubts take it back to the shop and compare it to another Ax. It's not un common for Fox rear shocks to have a nitrogen leak from new. This will make the shock very mushy, it will need more air than usual, and can affect rebound at top out..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    You shouldn't need more than 1/2 rebound. If you have any doubts take it back to the shop and compare it to another Ax. It's not un common for Fox rear shocks to have a nitrogen leak from new. This will make the shock very mushy, it will need more air than usual, and can affect rebound at top out..
    Thanks, I did take the bike back to the shop to sand the brake pads and asked about the rear shock at the same time. The tech said that the more air pressure the more rebound like you said. I think I had the rear shock pumped a little too much. Thanks Bill

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Thanks, I did take the bike back to the shop to sand the brake pads and asked about the rear shock at the same time. The tech said that the more air pressure the more rebound like you said. I think I had the rear shock pumped a little too much. Thanks Bill
    Its the the FOX shock I can assure you. Me and and at least 3 others experienced the exact same thing you are describing on an RP23.

I did just like you and ran the rebound at almost 100% and it helped but still bothered me. When I switched back to the RT3 it felt 100% better! I wish I could find my thread about it because you literally sound exactly like I did

At the price fox charges for their products you can very likely get just as much for that RP2 on ebay as a new Monarch RT or RT3 and make an even swap...

p.s. Im 185lb and my monarch rt feels BEEAAUUTIFUL! on my X 2 build