mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Anthem 29 with Trance 29 rear end?

Anyone have both bikes that can measure the rear triangles to see how close they are to being interchanged? I love everything about my Anthem except for the crazy long rear end. I know in an older thread people were swapping rocker arms on some of the 26ers to create a nice hybrid. The Trance rear end is 17.8 where as the Anthem is 18.2. From the pics it does not look possible but just thought I check.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I notice that about the Trance vs Anthem too but I wonder if 0.4 " is really going to make a big difference. I'd rather try a Trance for the added travel too. Have you tried a Trance and/or compared it with your Anthem? If you want to use a Trance mostly for xc maybe you could use an angleset to quicken the handling 0.5-1 degree in the head angle. Unless the Trance is too heavy for you. Personally, that is the one thing I don't like about the Anthem, but in reality, I find the more you ride a bike, the more you adjust to its specific geometry. It has pluses and minuses. There are probably ways to make the Anthem handle better despite the longer chainstays. The Anthem doesn't have too long of a wheelebase though, surprisingly.

mtbr member
    Name:  image (1).jpeg
Views: 577
Size:  26.0 KB
    I have a buddy that just put an Anthem 27.5 rear end on a AX29. I think he had to do a little machining at the dropout, but everything at the linkage just bolted right up, as far as I know. The 29 rear wheel was a tight fit, but it cleared

I haven't ridden it yet, but hope to tomorrow. I have the AX29 as well, so should be able to ride both back to back and get a pretty good feel of the differences

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post
    Name:  image (1).jpeg
Views: 577
Size:  26.0 KB
    I have a buddy that just put an Anthem 27.5 rear end on a AX29. I think he had to do a little machining at the dropout, but everything at the linkage just bolted right up, as far as I know. The 29 rear wheel was a tight fit, but it cleared

I haven't ridden it yet, but hope to tomorrow. I have the AX29 as well, so should be able to ride both back to back and get a pretty good feel of the differences
    Wow. That is mondo weird. When I first starting reading I thought you were going to say it was a 29/27.5 bike.

Got any close-up photo's of the tire clearance? Why did he have to do any machining on the dropout? To allow wheel/tire fit? If so won't that throw off the drlr and disc caliper alignment?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow. it looks like there is no clearance on the seatstay bridge. I would also like to see close up pics of the tire clearance.

I am probably going to get a Trance, but the Anthem resale value is not great so I had thought about experimenting. I did get to measure the rear of the Trance 29 and it will not bolt right up, so that is a no go.

mtbr member
    From what I gather, he machined the rear 142mm dropouts so they're open dropouts for a standard axle and he did that to move the wheel far enough back for tire clearance. It's still really, really tight. He couldn't fit a 2.1 Racing Ralph in there, so he had to go to a Furious Fred and that fit.

I rode it briefly, but our cockpit and bike setups are so different that everything felt awkward and it was hard to notice just the rear end. Didn't notice the FF tires rubbing at all, so I think you'd be good except in muddy conditions

Sorry, no additional pics right now. I'll see if he can text me a pic of the clearance

My take is that if the rear end is that much of a problem, just get a different bike instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Already got a different bike. I am just bored and it is winter. Thanks for the updates, that does not sound like a very good option for me to try.