Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anthem 27.5 SX

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Anthem 27.5 SX

That's the one!! Giant's website has been updated with their 2015 models and the Anthem SX is the bike I have been waiting for. I dropped in at Fullerton Bikes the other day and they said Giant is going to drop a sick version of the Anthem 27.5. This is the one!!! It's got a 120mm front fork, solid components and it is at a decent price point. She will be mine someday soon hopefully. STOKED!!!

Anthem SX 27.5 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Your Best Friend
    I just ordered 6 of these for Adventure Earth. I think they will be great bikes for people who don't want to race but want some light trail bike capability.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I just ordered 6 of these for Adventure Earth. I think they will be great bikes for people who don't want to race but want some light trail bike capability.
    Yeah. Do you think you give up a bunch with the 120mm fork? I am a classic weekend warrior racer, only a handful a year, super small scale, but thought this bike would be a good all arounder and a capable race type bike. Obviously if I were a serious racer, carbon carbon carbon. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This is the bike that stands out in the 2015 lineup for me as well. I currently ride a Anthem X29 1, and have wished it had a little more front travel at times, along with being more nimble in tight sections.

As a bonus, the parts specs for the 2015 Anthem SX 27.5 are near perfect, all I need to do is upgrade the wheels to Arch EX's with DT 240s and I'm done. The stock tires are even the same tire combo that I use on my current bike.
    Andrew Borntreger
    Champion of Cinematic Disasters
    www.badmovies.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I almost purchased an Anthem 27.5 1 earlier this year but after hearing rumors of a SX model coming out I decided to wait. My main concern is that the geometry has not been adjusted for the longer fork which means the seat tube angle is one degree slacker, any thoughts on how this will affect the performance especially on extend climbs would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This bike is #1 on my list also. Perfect for my riding style and local terrain. Hopefully it'll be an xmas present to myself.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Anthem 27.5 SX

I put a 120MM Revelation on my AA1 and converted to 1x10. Now I basically have a SX but with the sweet stealth black look. I just wish last years model had the composite rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I put a 120mm Talas on my 2014 Anthem Advanced 1. The 120mm is perfect for decending and flat. On the climbs the 120mm fork does change the seat angle and it does not put me in as good as climbing position as the 100mm did. I preffer clinbing in the 100mm, It just feels like I am a bit behind the BB and I have to push the front end more to keep it from wandering.

Maybe next year there will be a specific frame geo for the SX that keeps the seat angle steeper and the BB lower.

Another way would be if RS and Giant speced a Revelation with adjustable travel at 100mm and 120mm

Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post
    I almost purchased an Anthem 27.5 1 earlier this year but after hearing rumors of a SX model coming out I decided to wait. My main concern is that the geometry has not been adjusted for the longer fork which means the seat tube angle is one degree slacker, any thoughts on how this will affect the performance especially on extend climbs would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was hoping for a 100-120mm Talas fork like what the have done on the Trance SX, best of both worlds, maybe next year they might do that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmovies.org View Post
    This is the bike that stands out in the 2015 lineup for me as well. I currently ride a Anthem X29 1, and have wished it had a little more front travel at times, along with being more nimble in tight sections.

As a bonus, the parts specs for the 2015 Anthem SX 27.5 are near perfect, all I need to do is upgrade the wheels to Arch EX's with DT 240s and I'm done. The stock tires are even the same tire combo that I use on my current bike.
    Why would you change the wheels? It essentially has DT Swiss hubs and 27mm carbon rims.
    Giant Team Bike n Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    The new sx is a sweet ride. But the wheel set is somewhat of a down grade to the 2014 Anthem Advanced. Last year they used DT Swiss internals. This yr they use a lesser grade carbon wheel and a lesser grade internals on the hubs. Either way still a nice piece.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    This looks like everything I'm looking for...even the aluminum version for $3k seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Great blend of XC ride and trail capability.

I've been considering the Trek Fuel EX8, Santa Cruz 5010, Turner Flux and Scott Spark. The aluminum SX is my choice... Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Single_Trak_Mind; 07-28-2014 at 01:27 PM.

mtbr member

Back to the Future?

I've been riding my 120 fr/100 rr 2011 Anthem X29 "SX" for a year now and love it! Glad to see Giant finally caught on to what all of us already figured out

'14 Remedy 9 - Pike, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon
    '14 Jet9 RDO - Reverb, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon

mtbr member
    From what I can see the frame geometry is identical to last years Anthem 27.5 with the exception of the fork being 120, is that right?
    Also, I would have thought a 120mm reba or sid would be more appropriate for the anthem over a revelation, odd choice I thought.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Anthem 27.5 SX

I put a REV RCT3 120MM on my AA1 and compared to the stock Fox Evo it is same weight while stiffer, plusher and more travel. I wouldn't put a SID if the goal if increasing travel is to make it more of a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The specs on the SX have the HT @ 68.5, vs 69.5 for the Anthem.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDaVinci View Post
    The specs on the SX have the HT @ 68.5, vs 69.5 for the Anthem.
    This is because of the taller fork, not because of a change in the frame.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    They should have put a Talas fork on it, that way the geometry wouldn't be stuffed up for climbing.

mtbr member
    Shame Giant did not increase Anthems rear travel to 120mm as well -- I would have bought one - now looking to other brands.
    I dont want Trances 140mm travel - too much for me.
    The 120mm Stance is interesting but the new Flexpoint rear suspension is an unkown, unless someone can convince me it is as good as Maestro.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    OK, That makes sense, especially since the AASX frame would of needed a whole new mold and that wouldn't be very cost efficient for just one model.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Anthem 27.5 SX

Do you guys think an offset bearing and a longer shock could bring up the travel to 120M without affecting geometry? I actually thought that's what Giant would do for the AASX.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSPOOK View Post
    Shame Giant did not increase Anthems rear travel to 120mm as well -- I would have bought one - now looking to other brands.
    I dont want Trances 140mm travel - too much for me.
    The 120mm Stance is interesting but the new Flexpoint rear suspension is an unkown, unless someone can convince me it is as good as Maestro.
    I agree.
    I looking forward to reading some reviews on the Stance. The geometry looks about spot on for what I want. I'm looking to replace my 09 Epic with something I can use as a trail bike and the odd race, I think the Trance is too much bike for that. My main ride is a Reign so I don't what two similar bikes. I might be better off getting a standard Anthem and replacing the fork later with a Talas. Others who have put a 120mm fork on the 2014 model have commented that it doesn't climb as well and their weight is too far back.

mtbr member
    A 120mm Front and Rear would also have helped increase on the 2013 Anthems super low 317mm BB height.

mtbr member
    I agree that a Maestro 120mm bike is missing from the Giant lineup. If they'd made improvements over what I consider a near perfect trailbike (my '08 TranceX) I wouldnt be considering changing brands.
    I demoed an Anthem Advanced and it seemed like a great match, just a bit shy in rear travel for techy x/c... Then I tested a Ripley and that was impressive but $.

mtbr member
    If you went to 120 front and rear you might as well get a trance, its so close at that point.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast