mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Anthem 27.5 size decision

Currently looking at Anthem 27.5 3, but I'm considering what size I should buy.

I'm 165cm (5"5') tall and inseam 73.5cm (a short guy).
    Should I buy size XS or S??
    The standover of both XS and S is nearly the same, and okay for me.

XS got 2cm shorter in TT, and steeper seat angle in 74 degree.
    Meanwhile S is in 73 degree, which actually makes the Reach between XS and S in around 1 cm different only.

Sadly that I cannot ride a demo bike in my country, so I cannot do the demo biking to compare and decide which size suits me better. Giant officially (and the LBS) suggested me to use Size S, but my past experience is in XS size.

As some frames would make you feel smaller than it should, others might make you feel larger, even both of the geometry is quite similar.

** I rided GT sensor in XS size, and NP Mega AM (2012 ver.) in S size, both of them share the same TT length in 550mm, but NP has longer reach than Sensor, which comes up feeling GT sensor is agilely but quite unstable, Mega AM is much stable but slightly difficult to turn.**

So did anyone try or own the bike, who tells me the feeling in size?? (tends to stretch out or cramp?)
    My personal preference tends to use shorter stem (say 45-50mm) rather than longer stem (say 70-80mm) for fitting the MTB.

Thanks!

Andes

mtbr member
    My advice would be to go with the small and adjust the stem if you need to change how stretched across the top of the bike you are.
    If the top tube clear is the same go for the largest size with adequate stand over and that way if you need to use adjust top tube length its almost always better to use a shorter stem rather a longer one.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the advice!

I also believe in your point.

coz the standover is just 0.1 inches different between S and XS, also the length of HT is the same. So I guess S and XS would be quite in similar but 20mm longer in TT.

Madsedan, do you feel the Anthem 27.5 is larger than a normal bike? or smaller?? I'm afraid if the frame is felt larger, and I bought a larger size, then the result would be quite horrible....

mtbr member
    If anything I felt like the Anthem might have been a tad smaller feeling than the large/19" frames I had ridden previously, probably more true to size than the 29er hardtails I had been on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm hardly to fit the 15.5" or 16" 29er, they all are large to fit...
    ai...hard to decide without the real bike

mtbr member
    Its not ideal buying a bike like this without at least a trial fitment but you are safer going with the larger size if you can tolerate the stand over.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think I would go for XS instead...
    For 555mm+60mm stem would still be 1.5cm longer than my previous GT in 550mm+50mm stem.
    Also Anthem has 1 degree steeper seat angle, which will provide longer Reach (about 10mm) than my old GT.

I could expect the stack height of Anthem would be 585mm something, which similar with the 120mm travel GT sensor.

So I guess the riding position would be stretched out more than previously, plus a lower BB height + lower center of gravity of this bike + bigger wheels, it should be able to keep me push down the head, easier to rollover, in order to gain more traction, and gain more confident while riding in trail and descending.

It's about showing up.
    First off, no matter what size bike you buy the position of your feet in relation to the pedals/BB will be the same; that is how you center your wieght and power delivery on any bike. Add to that the chainstay length doesn't change. So think of Seat, BB, and rear axle as a fixed triangle; Your Triangle. Your back-angle/arm-extension is pretty standard, too; one simply adds a bike under that position, so-to-speak.

As the chanstays do not change length, the XS size becomes an S through shortening the wheelbase from the crank to the front axle and tilting the seatpost forward; hence the shorter top tube. To keep Your Triangle your seat will sit a bit further back in the seatpost in the XS than the S due to that 1 steeper angle. In a funny way the seattube angle is nearly irrelevant; it bends to the angle needed with little mechanical effect except to shorten the top tube a bit in the aft end.

At the other end the head tube and the front wheel will be a bit closer to your feet; remember the chainstays don't change. Given no change in the head tube angle the head tube is moved closer to you to create the shorter wheelbase. Given your riding position, a standard measurement from the back of the seat to the grips or bar at the stem on your current bike, this can be established on either sized bike from your old bike.

That said, both bikes will probably be comfortable in terms of cockpit with the stem mitigation as madsedan rightly suggests. So the idea of feeling stretched in terms of TT is not much of an issue unless you set yourself up badly. What you will feel is that front wheel position closer under your feet with an XC and a longer stem.

Your reach is the same on either bike, as it is dictated by your standard riding postion, a longer stem and closer headtube on an XS takes room away from your cockpit for knee clearance. You say you like a shorter stem which effects your steering quickness. Having fit lots of 5' 5" riders in Mediums and Smalls I would recommend the Small with the stem length you like.

Best wishes. Ride well.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 10-11-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go with a small if you like a shorer stem.
    I have a large and am 6'-1" with a 34" inseam.
    I found the stock setup had the bars approx 2" below the saddle with my 34" inseam.
    So riser bars were needed, my point being you will need to fit the bike to your body regardless of what size you get. Some people like a feel of a large frame with a small stem, others like a longer stem and tight/quick handling.

Just Ride.
    I'd try find a shop that has both sizes or even 1 size and go test fit then if possible find another shop with the other size in stock. I would go the small in your case though.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds like you're riding something that works okay for you now. Compare the bike reaches and front-to-center distances.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

It's about showing up.

Thread Hijack!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer View Post
    I found the stock setup had the bars approx 2" below the saddle with my 34" inseam.
    So riser bars were needed...

I'm scoping the Anthem Advance 1 for my next bike; 6 ft, 34 inseam, so your input is helpful to me. How long is your stem and which bars did you use?
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    First off, no matter what size bike you buy the position of your feet in relation to the pedals/BB will be the same; that is how you center your wieght and power delivery on any bike. Add to that the chainstay length doesn't change. So think of Seat, BB, and rear axle as a fixed triangle; Your Triangle. Your back-angle/arm-extension is pretty standard, too; one simply adds a bike under that position, so-to-speak.

As the chanstays do not change length, the XS size becomes an S through shortening the wheelbase from the crank to the front axle and tilting the seatpost forward; hence the shorter top tube. To keep Your Triangle your seat will sit a bit further back in the seatpost in the XS than the S due to that 1 steeper angle. In a funny way the seattube angle is nearly irrelevant; it bends to the angle needed with little mechanical effect except to shorten the top tube a bit in the aft end.

At the other end the head tube and the front wheel will be a bit closer to your feet; remember the chainstays don't change. Given no change in the head tube angle the head tube is moved closer to you to create the shorter wheelbase. Given your riding position, a standard measurement from the back of the seat to the grips or bar at the stem on your current bike, this can be established on either sized bike from your old bike.

That said, both bikes will probably be comfortable in terms of cockpit with the stem mitigation as madsedan rightly suggests. So the idea of feeling stretched in terms of TT is not much of an issue unless you set yourself up badly. What you will feel is that front wheel position closer under your feet with an XC and a longer stem.

Your reach is the same on either bike, as it is dictated by your standard riding postion, a longer stem and closer headtube on an XS takes room away from your cockpit for knee clearance. You say you like a shorter stem which effects your steering quickness. Having fit lots of 5' 5" riders in Mediums and Smalls I would recommend the Small with the stem length you like.

Best wishes. Ride well.
    The reach I referred is the bike, not my body reach.
    As the reach is the horizontal length from BB center to headtube center,
    the seat angle is steeper, the reach of the bike should be longer (keep other factor in constant), so that's why I said the reach of the anthem should be longer than my GT.

Reach would not affect while you are riding on the saddle (that's about TT), but it affects while you are standing on the bike, and we would do it a lot while in trail (lay-back, balance the body, do a hop, etc.)

Because Giant doesn't provide any data in reach and stack, I could only estimate from myself. I think Anthem 27.5 in XS would be around 390mm, while S would be around 400-405mm. I'm afraid reach is too long for me, as I used to ride in reach about 380-390.

But maybe I fitted totally wrong before?? Or maybe XC class bike should be more stretch out style??

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer View Post
    Go with a small if you like a shorer stem.
    So riser bars were needed, my point being you will need to fit the bike to your body regardless of what size you get. Some people like a feel of a large frame with a small stem, others like a longer stem and tight/quick handling.
    Sadly that I cannot test and try to fit the bike before I buy, don't have this service in my area...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This is the XS one (tunned the picture that the seatpost should be right at my height)
    Name:  xJZ2_bePda_7GBizGC8ptQ.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  74.2 KB

This is the S one (similar seat height as the XS one)
    Anthem 27.5 size decision-734388_10153278185245254_1248266433_n.jpg

This is the XS size of my previous GT
    Name:  603032_10151259480758299_1724739280_n.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  48.7 KB

My fd said the XS one seems to be perfect setting, not too bulky and longish, for my body size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here is the 2014 Giant official fitting chart, hope it could help.

Anthem 27.5 size decision-size.jpg

My height is at the gap between XS and S.

So I would feel small on XS (max), and feel large in S (2nd of Mini)...

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by andeschau View Post
    The reach I referred is the bike, not my body reach.
    As the reach is the horizontal length from BB center to headtube center,
    the seat angle is steeper, the reach of the bike should be longer (keep other factor in constant), so that's why I said the reach of the anthem should be longer than my GT.

Reach would not affect while you are riding on the saddle (that's about TT), but it affects while you are standing on the bike, and we would do it a lot while in trail (lay-back, balance the body, do a hop, etc.)

Because Giant doesn't provide any data in reach and stack, I could only estimate from myself. I think Anthem 27.5 in XS would be around 390mm, while S would be around 400-405mm. I'm afraid reach is too long for me, as I used to ride in reach about 380-390.

But maybe I fitted totally wrong before?? Or maybe XC class bike should be more stretch out style??
    My description of how the bike is shortened describes reach as you define it. What I think we are running into her is someone who wants to be told to choose an XS. Giant, your LBS and most posters her suggest the S.
    You are welcome to your initial voice. Remember, functionally the seat tube angle is irrelevant as you slide your seat back to where you need it. If you go XS you will use a longer stem, which you said you did not prefer.
    Stop chasing your tail! I'm done here.
    I don't rattle.

Bellydraft

... and if we just ...

I, like the op,am 5'5",with a 30" pant inseam. I had a similar question when shopping for the anthem x advanced 29er. Could have been either size. So I bought the xs,rode it,changed stem lengths a bunch,learned how to ride a fs bike,adjust suspension,etc., and did one xc race with it. At that race,there was a small ditch that we crossed at speed. With the stem length I was comfy with (110), when I hit that ditch I felt like I was very close to going otb. Everywhere else I rode,the bike was amazing. I had the seat as far back on the rails as it could go. It was comfortable for me,efficient,and fast. I then ordered the same frame in a small,built it up,messed with stems and settled on a 90. I am still pretty far back on the seat rails,but have more confidence in the ditch type situation. Both handled twisties,climbs,and virtually everything else exactly the same. I also didn't notice the decreased standover. The only thing that is noticeably different is that I found the xs frame was easier to hop logs and obstacles at speed than the slightly larger frame. I like to be low and long on the bike,so could be happy with a 100mm stem on the small frame too. When the 27.5 arrived at my lbs, I rode over and found the medium felt oddly comfortable on a parking lot side by side ride. I would suggest you consider the type of ride ou plan to do most. With a short stem The smaller of the two may be better for obstacles,AM riding,slower technical stuff etc,I'd think. The larger frame will be slightly more stable for xc race type riding,which is more what I do. The 27.5 is a much easier bike to bunny hop, wheelie and play on,with its shorter chainstay. My dream would be to have the 29er with a half inch shorter cs. Good luck with your decision. Both sizes will work fine. Decide based on what you ride.
    This may hurt a little..

Bellydraft
    Another thing to mention is bar width. The stock bar is wider than I like. I'm wide-shouldered,but ride narrow singletrack and race xc. I have enve bars trimmed to around 680, maybe a little less. . A lot of people like to be really upright. To me, an xs frame,70mm stem and stock width bar and the anthem would be a fantastic do anything position. I just prefer a slightly longer stem and narrow bar.
    This may hurt a little..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 0sparky0 View Post
    Another thing to mention is bar width. The stock bar is wider than I like. I'm wide-shouldered,but ride narrow singletrack and race xc. I have enve bars trimmed to around 680, maybe a little less. . A lot of people like to be really upright. To me, an xs frame,70mm stem and stock width bar and the anthem would be a fantastic do anything position. I just prefer a slightly longer stem and narrow bar.
    Thanks for the input.

The trails in here are narrow and full of roots. My friends are all using the AM type bike to play in there. But personally, I don't like the long travel bike, plus I don't play big jump, and love to stick to the group type.

I used the bar around 700 -720mm, and 50mm stem on the 550mm TT bike before, therefore I think the stock bar and the 70mm stem + 555mm TT Anthem would be felt longer than my old bike, doesn't it??

Except the frame is smaller than I thought (or I fitted totally wrong before?).
    But I never get to know before I saw the real bike here. (I have to order it from another country)