mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Anthem 27.5 Advanced 1 vs Anthem 27.5 Advanced 2?

Thinking about making the jump to 27.5 and I'm looking very seriously at the Anthem. I was able to take the 2 for a ride and it felt great. If you've ridden both of these bikes is the upgrade to the 1 worth the extra money?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I don't think it is worth the considerable extra, but if you really have to have 1X11 then sure.

mtbr member
    Oops I was comparing the 0 to the 1.

In the case of the 2 over the 3, I think the 2 is worth it for nicer components and not all that much more money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well, it's almost $1300 extra to get Shimano XT vs SRAM X7/X9, a slightly nicer wheelset and Fox vs RockShox suspension. Not a small amount of coin and I'm wondering if just getting the 2 and upgrading the wheelset would be best?

mtbr member
    Good plan, but keep in mind you might end up wanting to upgrade to some nice quiet Shimano brakes too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The 1 is much better value in my opinion and Shimano XT is the bomb! There's no question if the extra coin is worth it. Get it!!

mtbr member
    I'm on the same boat. Advanced 1 or 2. But I have another bike that has the XT brakes that I can swap out along with the seat post, seat and bars. Then I have some spare parts I can sell to up grade the wheels set. I like the advanced 1 wheel set. All DT Swiss internals on the hubs, DT spokes and they are very light in weight and the price you cant beat. But for me I'm not big on the all black on the advanced 1. I think the black/yellow with the accent yellow on the fork and shock set the bike off.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't have another bike to swap out the brakes with, but I went on a fairly lengthy ride and the Avid's seemed OK. I would probably slightly prefer the Shimano XT / Fox on the 1 versus the SRAM / RockShox on the 2 but it my mind it's not that huge of a deal. I also like the paint scheme of the 2 versus the all blacked out look of the 1. I think the main thing with the 2014 Anthem Advanced is that great carbon frame and suspension design which you get with both models. The wheels are definitely nicer on the 1 but for around $400 I can upgrade the wheels on the 2... Trying to get a longer ride on both this weekend!

mtbr member
    I have a Rockshox Reba RL on my EMD and love it. Very light weight and smooth. I think Rockshox is a lighter fork compared to the Fox. And for XT vs Sram for components I have always liked my x9 I have used on all my bikes. So for the price difference I will save the 1300 and maybe upgrade to X0 on the RD and shifters. Either way the bike is the ****. I think 27.5 will slowly make its stand and eventually be the norm in my non professional op.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Yeah very nice frame, you can change the components any time you like, if you like.

It's about showing up.
    The carbon frame is the most important thing, then the wheelset. Other stuff is less expensive to upgrade.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr lurker
    I am in the same boat, I am a huge shimano fan but the anthem adv 2 was already over my initial budget... now I have to wait till February when they are back in stock in medium.