mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Another Trance X Sizing Thread...Sorry!

Ok...Demoed a Medium Trance X2...absolutely awesome bike, better than I could have imagined. Fit great, just right I think, though I am fairly new to all this.

I am looking at getting an X1 now, and the LBS told me I should consider a small because of the shorter wheelbase and more nimbleness, a I am on the borderline height-wise. I am 5'8" with no shoes, closer to 5'9" with my shoes. Like I said, the demo bike in Medium felt great, and he let me try a small in the lot, felt a bit cramped. So he put a setback seat post on it, so the reach was the same as the Medium frame. So now I'm confused. Should I go with what I know worked well for me (medium), or get the small based on my parking lot ride?

My question is...who out there is my height and what do you ride. I already had a pm voting small, but I'd love to hear some more opinions. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

since the Trance X is meant for heavy XC to light AM use,

I always go for the longest wheelbase with the shortest top tube I can get, since I am short, about 5'6"- long wheelbase is great for high speed stability. You also do not want any problems with your feet making contact with the front tire, especially when turning! I have owned a 15" Reign, have a 14.5" Anthem, and would ride a small TranceX ( I testrode one). Both of my bikes have setback seatposts and 75mm stems. I would think you are definately a medium. You should be centered on the bike, not with your ass hanging over the rear tire, or nose over the front stem, and definately not feeling "cramped." Whatever you do, do not buy the bike until YOU are positive it is the correct size for you, even if the small size is on triple clearance sale- it is not worth buying the wrong size at any price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    im ~5'8". went with a small.

i was looking for nimble.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    if descents and throwing the bike around are your thing, small. If efficiency, climbs, and plow are your thing, get the medium.

Giants tend to be shorter in TT then most bikes (save the large glorys, which, for some reason, are ginormous) so the med should fit you well). When all else fails, go with what you've ridden and KNOW you'll like

Johny Sokko!
    Get a medium! Put a 90mm stem! Remove the the custom headset spacers, put one 10mm on the bottom (the rings spacers) and your set. You will love the medium for climbing and fast descents! I'm your height and still have a thomson set back seatpost on my 18"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thank you all for the responses. As I was expecting -- no real consensus. This actually makes it a little easier for me to decide, after all the Medium felt so good, I'll probably go that route. Now had the response been overwhelmingly toward the small, maybe I'd be scratching my head a bit more. I can say that with the Medium frame I was certainly having no problems with the longer wheelbase, or wanting more nimbleness, so I doubt I'd regret it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Standover

I'm 5'8" and unfortunately the Trance X is a nut cracker for me in all the sizes.