mtbr member

Another Giant AC chainstay cracked

But this one has been replaced under warranty.

I noticed just after Christmas that the right side of the chain stay of my 2003 AC2 frame was cracked just behind the weld at the dog leg. Shops didn't open for a few days, it took a while for Giant to open after the holidays (I'm in Australia) but after a bit of tooing and froing (and plenty of reminders to the lbs) Giant agreed to replace it.

They shipped it earlier in the week and it was put on today. The frame was black with white stripes (not the prettiest you have ever seen) and the new one is matt black so it blends in quite well, but doesn't have any of the writing that was on the old one.

I checked the torque setting for the bolts and they were all a bit high so I lowered them to what Giant recommended and now I am ready to go. Probably an evening ride tomorrow after work.

The crack may have been what caused the squeaking noise I noticed lately and couldn't work out where it was coming from.

It will be good to get off the hardtail and back on to a more comfortable bike.

Wombat

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    good to hear Giant Australia have looked after you (as they should). as another Aus Giant rider, it's reassuring!

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    i cracked the no drive side chain stay same area, on my 01 AC-2.....giant refused to replace the frame saying it was my own negalgence (sp?) that caused it to break so ended up getting it welded by a pro, it sucks but w/e i love my AC
    Nick
    "wise man takes the path of least resistance" too bad he didnt know jack about freeriding
    Nick