mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Another fit question (Anthem X)

I know that inseam length is only one aspect of a properly fit bike, but how much standover is needed between the top tube and, well, ....

Giants' geometry spec states that a medium (18") Anthem X has a standover height of 31.2" (measured 12" forward from the center of the seat tube). The small's (16") standover is 30.4"
    My inseam is 32.25" and I'm 5'-9".

I always thought the rule was 2" of clearance. Reading the "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance"
    chapter on fitting, he states to subtract 13.50" - 16.50" from your inseam to find your frame size. That puts me between 15.75" - 18.75".

Sounds like the 16" small is more my size??
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jaxson; 04-10-2009 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" with a 34" inseam and i am going with a large, I tried the medium, it fit well. but that extra inch of top tube is what makes the difference. I felt a little to upright on the medium. I would just look at the top tube length to see what you want and not the seat tube length, also a different sized stem can do a little fine tuning.
    Small sounds like it might be to small for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The top tube length for the medium is 23.4", so what is that, about 23 3/8"?
    My torso length is 23 1/4", so the medium sounds like a good fit for me in that department.
    I tend to ride a bit stretched out, too.
    Thanks for your reply.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    just fyi
    am 5'9"+ with saddle height of 72cm and i rode the medium, but will most likely switch to small this summer.
    problems for me are: the new anthem X medium has 73 degree seat tube angle, too slack for climbing, and the top tube's length of 23.4" made it diffucult to get my weight back on the steep descents.

the NEW small anthem X has the same wheelbase as the old anthem medium.

i am going to demo both again, on a longer rides, 2 hours minumum, with a longer stem 11cm stem on small and a 9cm on the medium, and compare the two back to back on a cc course at sea otter this week.
    ride both if you can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My saddle height is 28.5", which is the same as yours, +/-. I still use the "Imperial" measurements, so I had to do a little coverting there!
    Anywho, I'd be very interested in your opinion after riding both sizes. Please keep me posted.
    Thanks!
    Jaxson