Thread: Am I Crazy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Am I Crazy?

$750 for a 2014 Talon 1 27.5 (brand new)

vs

$475 for a 2014 Revel 0 29er (also brand new)

From what I've seen here that is a killer deal on the Talon 1. Would I be stupid to not go in that direction? I know the Talon vs Revel frames have different geometry, I've also learned they're made of the same metal. Seating position is personal preference yes, but why does everyone say "don't waste money on that frame" in regards to the Revel? Is the Talon in the same "don't upgrade me" boat?

Thanks for any help. Will probably end up on a Giant either way. The island is slowly being dominated by them, might as well ride something that will allow great support from my LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You East Coast guys should be waking up pretty soon. I'm anxious to hear what you all have to say.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, that is a fantastic price for the Talon1, that's like 45% off MSRP My only comment would be don't get it just because it's a great price, not until you actually get a chance to ride both the 650B and the 29er and decide for yourself which one you like best. If you're a shorter rider the 650B might make fit easier, but seriously, test ride, cause no matter the deal, if you end up not liking it
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I think people tend to under estimate the Talon and Revel both. My wife rides a Talon 29er, my son a Revel 26. The kill points on both bikes for any "advanced" rider (non-beginner/casual - which labels both apply to my wife and son) are the forks and the wheels. Everything else on a low numbered Talon or Revel is functional at least. The point is, both of the frames are good, and I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade/replace parts worn out on either bike unless A) my wife told me she wanted FS B) there was some compelling reason not to (which, although my son will outgrow the Revel, my daughter may never do so, and she will likely inherit the Revel when my son out grows it). Both frames have lifetime warranties, and while the geometry is different on each, that really only reflects what each bike was designed for. Yes, in reality, they are entry level bikes, but then, you can take a $6K bike, use the same frame, put junk components on it, and sell it for $2300 and call that entry level FS too.

That said, Lynx is right. Don't buy it just because it's cheap. Ride it, and make sure you like it first.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Don't buy things because they're a steal, buy them because you FIT on them and they fit your needs. I love my Talon ('12) because it's a great entry level fame and upgradeable for a decent price when skill/need dictate.

Ninja Edit - The Talon is a steal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks gents. Of course I wouldn't purchase the Talon simply because of the price, I was just honestly confused when I saw the price vs what I've seen here. If I do like the 29er better I would want them to order a Talon 1 29er so I could directly compare it and the Revel. As of right now they only have the 27.5 Talon 1.

I will definitely go with what I am more comfortable on. The talon is a little out of my price range, but if it is that much better I can wait two weeks and have enough coin to buy it instead.