Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,920

    Aluminum Anthem or Trance?

    Generally like to get out on long all day rides with a fair amount of climbing along with a mix of challenging descents(aggressive xc?) on some occasions. Which makes more sense, beefing up an Anthem or lighten up a Trance?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10
    My take here is if you're not race oriented and just looking for a fun do it all trail bike that can confidently descend - go and invest on your trance!

  3. #3
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,425
    Get the one that will make up for your weaknesses. If you climb better than you descend then get the Trance, otherwise get the Anthem.
    Threads left alone die on their own.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    352
    IMO they are two completely different bikes, suited to different kinds of terrain.

    for 90% of the riding i do the anthem would be the right bike, i have a trance because of the other 10%. You really just need to make a decision as to what you want. If your goal is to go ride a 20km XC loop with a bit of gnar and smash out the fastest time you can, Anthem is the right bike. For taking the hard line down, tackling steeps at speed or hitting platform drops, but still having a bike that climbs fairly well the trance is the way to go.

    I live with my bike being too slack 90% of the time because the other 10% is worth it to me. On the plus side the trance also climbs better than any slack, 140mm trail bike should have the right to. I also wouldn't be going out of my way to hit flat drops on an anthem.

  5. #5
    Super Dad
    Reputation: obs08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    489
    anthem sx sounds like it was made for you
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2014 Trek Crossrip

  6. #6
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    anthem sx sounds like it was made for you
    People I ride with and lbs say the same. My wheelset, drivetrain, dropper and 120 fork better suited for the Anthem which would basically make it an SX.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    313
    Lovin my ASX. Snappy, fast, super efficient.

    Test rode Trance on the same trails on the same day, and it would be super fun if the trails were gnarlier round here. The extra wheelbase and suspension movement was very apparent on the T.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    90
    What did you end up getting?

    I got the Trance 2 2014, and probably should have gotten the ASX

  9. #9
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
    What did you end up getting?

    I got the Trance 2 2014, and probably should have gotten the ASX
    Nothing yet but leaning towards the A.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    165
    I have both bikes. For what it sounds like, it sounds like the anthem is for you. If it doesnt decend well enough put a 120mm fork on it. My anthem climbs like a goat and is super comfortable on 4hr 40 mile rides. Im substanially faster on climbs and flats with the anthem.

    I pick the trance for shorter or rougher trails, but my rides on it are usually shorter than 3hrs and 25 miles. Definately like jumping the trance better. I'm faster downhill with it unless its a super smooth or pedaly decent.

    I have an anthem advanced 29er with a dropper, and a trance 27.5 aluminum. Anthem weighs a smidge under 26lbs, trance is a smidge over 30

  11. #11
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    374
    Depending on the fork the Anthem comes with you can take out the spacer and have a 120mm...that is what I did on my 2014 Anthem 3. Perfect now
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 09:02 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 03:02 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 06:47 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 03:01 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •