mtbr member
    Feb 2004

To all '04 Giant owners

just to let you know that Giant has now created a new warranty that will give you a lifetime warranty on all Giant frames. Yes even the new carbon NRS has a lifetime frame warranty. This warranty includes every bike Giant makes from their $89 12" kids to their $5000 DH model and road models.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ILxcMTNbiker
    just to let you know that Giant has now created a new warranty that will give you a lifetime warranty on all Giant frames. Yes even the new carbon NRS has a lifetime frame warranty. This warranty includes every bike Giant makes from their $89 12" kids to their $5000 DH model and road models.

Please do tell. How does the effect existing owners?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k0zu
    Please do tell. How does the effect existing owners?
    This includes all models sold as of May 1st. Even if you buy an 03 model now you still get the lifetime warranty. As for prior purchased bike, I am sure Giant will work with you, they have pretty good customer relations. I would not try to claim a 01 or 02 model though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ILxcMTNbiker
    This includes all models sold as of May 1st. Even if you buy an 03 model now you still get the lifetime warranty. As for prior purchased bike, I am sure Giant will work with you, they have pretty good customer relations. I would not try to claim a 01 or 02 model though.
    Does racing still void the warranty?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheezer
    Does racing still void the warranty?
    Yes racing and jumps will void the warranty, but why say you where racing when you bring it back to the LBS for the claim???

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    just the US or Australia too?

i was told that warranty on the frame for a duallie was 1 yr

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cool! I ordered an NRS 1 last week and it is supposed to be here tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wow, giant is offering a lifetime warranty now? so does anybody know for sure if this could be offered to 03 giant owners who bought their giants in 03? or is this more of a case by case basis? and where'd you find out about this new warranty?

Thanks
    Last edited by Mr. VT; 05-26-2004 at 01:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Good point Mr. VT, I got my frame late 03 and was wondering about the same thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    wow, giant is offering a lifetime warranty now? so does anybody know for sure if this could be offered to 03 giant owners who bought their giants in 03? or is this more of a case by case basis? and where'd you find out about this new warranty?

Thanks
    Im a Giant dealer and first got a letter from Giant about it, then confirmed it with my outside sales rep, and most importantly talked with Skip Hess(pres. of Giant) and he himself said yes its true, lifetime on all Giant bicycles.

Reviewer/Tester
    So... there we go.. another great reason to buy a Giant...

R.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah sounds great for sure, i just hope this can apply to 03 giant owners too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    does this warranty also apply here in asia?

mtbr member

Good job! Excellent....My Cannondale had

.........a lifetime frame warranty and heard of many cases of people using it and Cannondale honoring the warranty. I never had to make a claim thankfully. This is great news ...just in case. Really been enjoying my 2004 VT2!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    .........a lifetime frame warranty and heard of many cases of people using it and Cannondale honoring the warranty. I never had to make a claim thankfully. This is great news ...just in case. Really been enjoying my 2004 VT2!
    sweet....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its about time Giant steps up. They've been making the Enduro and Epic for Specialized for several years and they (Specialized) offer lifetime warranties on their bikes. Giant should have stepped up years ago. I just think its funny because I just bought a new 2004 Stumpy FSR Pro (built by Merida) last month after getting screwed by Giant, here in Taiwan, for bent frame.

I have no idea who Hess is but he is definately not the President of Giant. C. P. Liu is the CEO and Lo Chiang-an is the President of Giant. FYI - Neither of them ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wotzapollohimalaya
    just the US or Australia too?

i was told that warranty on the frame for a duallie was 1 yr
    I rang Giant Australia and they know nothing about the "lifetime warranty".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4
    Its about time Giant steps up. They've been making the Enduro and Epic for Specialized for several years and they (Specialized) offer lifetime warranties on their bikes. Giant should have stepped up years ago. I just think its funny because I just bought a new 2004 Stumpy FSR Pro (built by Merida) last month after getting screwed by Giant, here in Taiwan, for bent frame.

I have no idea who Hess is but he is definately not the President of Giant. C. P. Liu is the CEO and Lo Chiang-an is the President of Giant. FYI - Neither of them ride.
    Hess is the USA company president, see article below taken from www.mbaction.com

AUG 27--GIANT SHOWS ITS HAND FOR 2004
    R. Cunningham

"Giant USA’s president, Skip Hess, may be the last of his kind--a man who began his career in the bicycle industry as a bike shop rat and worked his way up the ladder to the highest corporate level. Hess freely states that the bicycle business isn’t all that lucrative, and that he believes that the only way to succeed is to surround himself with like-minded people, keep Giant’s operating costs down to the bare minimum, and sell bicycles that can stand alone in the areas of innovation, performance and value."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh, the USA president. You didn't mention that. Giant has lots of presidents. One for each country they have an office. Mr. Hess may be president of USA office, but Mr. Liu is the CEO and owns 40% of the company. Who do you think makes the final decision? Of course RC won't mention that because Giant, as well as other manufacturers, want their consumers to think that the "brains" behind bike buiding remains in the USA. This is not the case w/ Giant, but RC must have gotten a fat check from their Taichung Taiwan office to keep his big mouth shut.

FYI - Mike Sinyard owns the majority of his company, Specialized which started in 1981. Trek was started by Richard Burke in 1976 and his family controls the company today.

Personally I have nothing against Giant, though I do think that their customer service sucks at their main office in Taiwan. That said, I did buy my wife a new 2004 XTC hardtail. I would also consider an AC1, but would prefer to pay the Taiwan price of $1800 rather than the USA price of $3000.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so does this mean the lifetime warranty only applies to the USA and not other countries?

Reviewer/Tester
    That doesn't really surprise me... the bush telegraph is probably out, or the local aborigines havn't managed to send the message by runner to the aus giant rep.

R.