mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Advice for a woman between anthem x29er and Trance 29er

So my wife is taking the plunge and getting her first real mtb. She is looking at mainly Giants and has the option between the ANthem x29er 4 or the Trance x29er 2. I am trying to be a supportive husband and not tell her what to get (I have and anthem x29er). I am really impressed with the Trance but not sure if it is just to much bike for a new person. We live in CO front range so the travel would be used though. Any advice from people who own both? thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i would say the trance 29er would be an ideal first bike. i think its better to err on 'too much bike" than too little. As she progresses, there's nothing worse than having to sell and upgrade. trail geometry is kinder than XC for her as well. another huge benefit is the standover is much better on (lower) than the anthems in general

mtbr member
    I second the idea of the Trance being the right bike. It's slightly more relaxed ride is going to be more confidence inspiring than the tautness of the Anthem, plus more travel will make for a less jarring ride for her, which as a beginner, may make the difference between enjoying riding and not enjoying it. I'll make this additional point here as well. I bought my wife a Talon 29er, not the W - although there was a women's option on that model, she wanted what she rode at the store, which was the standard bike. However, after a few weeks, she asked me about the seat, and I swapped it for the Giant W seat (again, this is the women's specific seat) that would have come on the W model (which also has different geometry) and she loves that. So you might want to see if the shop will swap the women's seat on to the bike new at a discount.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, the Trance would be a good bike to start out with, especially if she's not serious about XC racing. The more relaxed geo will be more comfortable for a beginner, and the fairly neutral handling will be good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If she's hasn't actually sat on the bikes in question I'd like to point out that the standover specs for the Trance seem rather improbable. Giant lists SO on a medium Trance to be 26.4" while the bike in the pic has the lowest part of the top tube above the top of the 29" tire. A 5" 29er with a 26" stand over must be an error.

The WS Anthem has a dropped toptube and way better SO than the regular version. Its pic shows the top tube about rim height and effective SO at 29.8 for a medium. What the actual specs are for a Trance are still a mystery to me, but the listings must be kooky.

My wife needs a SO of 28" or less so we're getting her a small Anthem 29 4W. She's used to 4" travel and never uses all of that so 5" would be wasted. Plus she's used to Shimano. And I don't find that a 70-71 agree head angle to be particularly twitchy on 29" wheels. Sure, the Trance is maybe a better choice in theory but what's better about it might be lost on her if it doesn't fit as well.

What we do have here is lots of tight switchbacks and I'd pick the Anthem for that.

Your Best Friend
    I would also suggest the Anthem W.