Thread: Addiction

Gig'em Aggies!

Addiction

Alright, you may remember me posting two weeks ago that I bought my first bike (09 Giant Boulder) since grade school. Well, I have been riding the trails near my house 5 days a week and have absolutely fallen in love with it. I have always grown up hiking and hunting and love the outdoors, but riding a bike through nature is awesome. It is like hiking, but with speed. I have already talked my wife into letting me spend 2K on a new bike in a year (I am in the military and move a lot, I want to get a full year of riding these trails in on a new bike before I move somewhere else - probably to San Diego). Also, with me being in the military, I have no clue what type of trails I will ride when I get to my next duty station so I want a bike that can do it all. I think my true love is for single track though. I have been curious as to the different bikes that are in the 1.8-2k range and can't help but want a Giant again. I have never ridden anything else, but I love the way that my current bike fits and I haven't cared too much for the others that I have seen online, and I really don't want a Specialized because I feel that they are overpriced due to their popularity. Is it just me being so new and not knowing the components or does Giant seem to be the best bang for the buck brand? I have been looking at Giant, Cannondale, Treck, Gary Fisher, Merida, and Fuji.

Anyways, I love my boulder and I know I have to wait a year for a new bike, but it is still fun to look.

squish is good
    For 2k, you could get an amazing last years used bike or a basic spec new full suspension bike. I would point you towards a Reign or Trance X for all around riding in the Giant range. There are lots of other bikes available from other manufacturers though. Look for 5"-6" travel full suspension bikes for good all around ride everywhere bikes.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Ditto; Giant's are generally recognized for their value for money (Trance or Anthem), but you shouldn't avoid other brands.

Shop around, do your homework and consider your options. If you do that, you wont go wrong, no matter which brand you choose.
    [SIZE="3"]"The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    cant go wrong with a giant. good value as stated above. i would probably reccomend a trance x. it's proven to be a good bike up here in the northeast among fellow riders on our rocky terrain. also, rider love it on the fast smooth stuff. if your going out just to pedal through the woods, you dont need much more than a TX. if you were going out to do drops consistently, then i might consider a bigger bike but that doesnt seem to be your case. the TX3 is a little shy of 2K while the TX2 gets closer to about 2600. i'm sure if you really want the better model you could talk it down a little