mtbr member
    May 2007

AC seatpost squeak...

I've had a terrible creak in my seatpost for quite some time. Any suggestions as to a fix? I believe the collar/post and seat are all stock.

Thanks!

Just Ride
    Try re-greasing your seat post.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Regreased the frame/shim and the squeak is gone. However, I also got a Thomson to go with the fix (even better).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mine did the same thing for awhile. I tried all the mentioned fixes. It sometimes went away briefly. Finally the top about 1" of the frame broke off with the seat post in it. It turns out the weld was failing. Look very closely at the weld.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by concrete sledge
    Regreased the frame/shim and the squeak is gone. However, I also got a Thomson to go with the fix (even better).
    An ungreased seatpost is the #1 cause of "I don't know where that creak is coming from?" complaints!

The ACs "shim and 27.2mm" post idea is also terrible...

Please tell me that your Thomson is a 30.9mm? I replaced my stock Easton 27.2 with a RaceFace XC 30.9 seatpost just after getting my 2005 AC - it's FAR more solid and ALWAYS better than working with a shim.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beavola
    An ungreased seatpost is the #1 cause of "I don't know where that creak is coming from?" complaints!

Please tell me that your Thomson is a 30.9mm? I replaced my stock Easton 27.2 with a RaceFace XC 30.9 seatpost just after getting my 2005 AC - it's FAR more solid and ALWAYS better than working with a shim.
    I agree that the shim isn't a great design. However, the folks at the shop said that it's structurally safer to use it...so they convinced me to stick with the 27.2mm. Fortunately, I haven't heard a peep out of it.....yet (keeps fingers crossed).

mtbr member
    your shop said it was "structurally safer" to use a shim?

odd - seeing as 99% of bikes DON'T use shimmed seatposts...

methinks the shop had a spare 27.2 Thomson lying around that they wanted to sell!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beavola

If you have a 30.9 and try to lower your seatpost you will find that there is interference inside the tubing from the weld joints. You may only be able to lower your seat as little as 2". However, with the shim and the 27.2 seatposts, you will have full clearance as far down as the curve, giving you an additional 2"or 3" of seat adjustment.
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.