Thread: AC questions

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

AC questions

Hello,

I've got a few questions regarding the Giant AC:
    1. Does the travel change have any influence on the geometry? If not, running the shock in the long travel setting and running more sag would create a lower and slacker geometry, right?
    2. The Giant website lists the head angle of the AC as 69.5 degree. Isn't this a bit steep? Which fork is this number based on?
    3. Is the Reign the real successor of the AC? The Reign is more listed as the trail bike and the AC as a real freerider, but doesn't this create an empty gap between the Reign and the Faith?

Thanks in advance,

Enduro_506

2010 Glory custom FR
    1. of course it does. as far as I know geometry is measured when the bike stands alone (no weight on it, no rider). so, when you sit on the bike, geometry changes. moge sag you set on rear end, slacker head angle you get
    2. this year AC is equipped with 130mm fork, I think all over the world... it's something like Manitou Splice Comp??
    3. no, Reign is not successor of AC, cause it has totally different suspension system... I would rather say Reign is enduro, Trance is trail and AC is "freeride" 5 years ago
    the gap between Reign and Faith will be filled soon
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    AC travel change. The correct answer to your question is Yes and No. Changing the position of the shock changes the leverage ratio, allowing the suspension to travel farther given equal shock travel. This allows the suspension to travel farther, so NO it does not change the geometry. But, this higher leverage ratio means that without adjusting the preload of the shock your weight will act to cause the suspention to sag more, giving it a slacker head angle. You can eleviate this by increasing the preload but that negates some of the increased travel as well. The AC has no Horst link. It will ride well, but will stiffen when the brakes are applied. Early models had a tooling problem that caused the bearings to wear prematurely so I caution about buying a used one. An 05 or 06 shouldn't have this problem though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks.

Can someone describe exactly how burly an AC is?

mtbr member
    i have a super t on mine and have ridden it in moab and snowshoe as well as freeride/dh in socal and virginia. it has taken everything without complaint, although it does dent and scratch really easily.