Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

AC Haynes Brake Help

682 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ronbo613 
#1 ·
Hey guys Ive found out my brakes are very temperture sensative.

Today I took my bike out on a late afternoon run and the brakes got extremely sticky.
So much so that when squeezed they stayed squeezed.

Brought the bike back into my house and after some time to cool, the brakes work perfectly again.

Is this a common problem with Haynes hydraulic brakes?

(Bike is a stock AC Air)

Thanks,

#2 ·
You probably have moisture or air bubbles in the brake fluid after not bleeding them in the last several years. When you used the brakes, the fluid may have boiled or the air bubbles expanded. When they cooled, they went back to normal. I would advise taking the bike to a shop to have the brakes bled with new fluid. should be about $20-$30 per wheel.

G
#5 ·
I'm not sure what model of Hayes brakes you have, but I had a number of problems with my Stroker Trail master cylinders. It sounds to me like your master cylinder piston seals are sticking. They either need to be greased or the cylinders rebuilt and piston/seals replaced.
They stick when you use them, if you let them sit the levers will eventually return to their normal position. Heat may expand the rubber seals a little bit making them more likely to be sticky.
I believe Hayes has some manufacturing problems with some of their Stroker brakes; incorrect tolerances with the master cylinder and caliper pistons/bores cause the brakes to be sticky and the calipers will bind and not return, causing the pads to drag. Hopefully, that won't be the case for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.