WWYD?

AARGH! Look at this! Shim alert!

This just showed up on my large 03 NRS3, it had been squeaking and creaking for a bunch of rides and I had been trying to narrow it down to either the seatpost or the mounting structure for the shock. So, I had it apart and was wiping the inside of the tube for filings when I notice some gease oozing from this CRACK! I could push grease through the crack.

Has this happened to anyone else's NRS? My seatpost was well within the safety range but the shim that it was supplied with went down to just about this area. I hope this gets warrantied soon. My concern is that cheap shim they supplied with the bike, the tenth or so of a millimeter could have supplied enough leverage to cause this break.

I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs. with a 34" inseam so I'm not a little guy but this is a new area for a break. And the bike has 1,200 miles on it--too new for this to happen

Hope everybody checks their seattubes and good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ouch, i'm sure giant will warranty the frame, i hear their pretty good with warranty claims. hope your issue gets resolved soon!

XC rider/racer
    Giant are supposedly very good with their warranties, hopefully you`ll be back riding on a new frame really soon.
    Keep us posted as to how things progress.

WWYD?

F.Y.I. update...

Just to say that Giant today granted the warranty but said they were backordered to Aug for NRS frames so they offered the beefier VT1 for $150 extra. You guys are right; there customer service guys are great. Definately will look them up for a road bike and for the kids.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Ohhhh Man!!!

I have a 2003 NRS2. I've noticed, at the same spot, the paint being very light in color. It seems like how when you bend a piece of plastic and the color gets light at the bend. I've been keeping my eye on it to see if a crack forms but haven't noticed anything yet. I have a size 16.5 and I weigh about 165 ponds. I'm not really heavy but ride pretty aggressive. I would hate for it to break on me but the VT for an extra $150 sounds really good. How was Giant with the warranty?

The crack in the picture is weird because its just above the weld. It must be the shim.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    gmatic, you'll find that that is pretty normal. The weld itelf is way stronger then he tubing around it, you'll find most cracks and breaks happen right next to a weld, generally not through the weld iteslf.

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    Just to say that Giant today granted the warranty but said they were backordered to Aug for NRS frames so they offered the beefier VT1 for $150 extra. You guys are right; there customer service guys are great. Definately will look them up for a road bike and for the kids.
    wow, a new VT for you to huck around! haha, what a deal! its nice to know that Giant customer service is so great, really puts my mind at ease when i'm riding my bike. I know you'll enjoy the VT a lot though, a really great trail bike, takes a little while to get the shock dialed in correctly and to properly position yourself in the bike but i'm sure you'll like it once you get it set up properly ^^

WWYD?

How I found out about the crack...

The NRS was squeaking with every pedal stroke seated and standing, thought it was either the pivots, bottom bracket, cable ends, seat rails or pedals. After greasing them all I took the seatpost out, cleaned the interior and felt a ridge in there and when I was putting in clean grease some black grease came out the crack. AARGH!

The squeaking was going on for at least 30 hours of riding. Giant physically looked at the bike and OK'd the warranty on the spot and with a phone call sealed the order for the VT1!

This bike should work better for me with its beefier build. I got the NRS not for racing but for its climbing ability. I'm not sure about the VT's climbing but the five plus inches of travel should be fun for the downhills ;^)

Powered by Pulvoron
    a good reason i removed the shim and replaced it with a 30.9 diameter seatpost.

dirt diggler

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The NRS was squeaking with every pedal stroke seated and standing, thought it was either the pivots, bottom bracket, cable ends, seat rails or pedals. After greasing them all I took the seatpost out, cleaned the interior and felt a ridge in there and when I was putting in clean grease some black grease came out the crack. AARGH!

The squeaking was going on for at least 30 hours of riding. Giant physically looked at the bike and OK'd the warranty on the spot and with a phone call sealed the order for the VT1!

This bike should work better for me with its beefier build. I got the NRS not for racing but for its climbing ability. I'm not sure about the VT's climbing but the five plus inches of travel should be fun for the downhills ;^)

My bike has been squeeking a bit too. I took the seatpost and rocker arms apart to clean which improved the squeeking a bit. However, there is still very little squeeking which I've ignored. I wonder if it's the shim problem.

JohnnyB,
    Do me a favor and update us on what you think of the VT when you get it. I'd love to hear feedback on what you think, coming from a NRS.

Thanks.

XC rider/racer

VT Shim

The VT also uses a shim setup and after a few rides you`ll find creaking starting to develope because of the shim.
    I ditched the shim months ago and went with a Thomson 30.9 seatpost which allows you to get rid of the shim......I havent had a creak since

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy ?
    The VT also uses a shim setup and after a few rides you`ll find creaking starting to develope because of the shim.
    I ditched the shim months ago and went with a Thomson 30.9 seatpost which allows you to get rid of the shim......I havent had a creak since
    I cracked my VT in the exact same place, so I upgraded to a AC for $100 more.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns
    I cracked my VT in the exact same place, so I upgraded to a AC for $100 more.
    One more thing, I was not using the shim when it cracked, havn't for about a year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've had pretty good luck with Giant warranties also. Giant Ireland gave me a new 2003 NRS frame to replace a cracked seat stay on a 2000 XtC Team frame I bought in Taiwan. No questions asked either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

AARGH! Look at this! Shim alert!

I installed a thomson 30.9 seatpost when I first bought my 2003 nrs. Recently I needed a seatpost for my new 2002 AC (new frame on ebay) and removed this post for the AC and bought alonger post for the nrs. I think it is 440mm long? Anyways, the post is long and goes way down, probably as far as the top shock mount? The weight difference is minimal!

-Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

30.9 post

I have noticed a lot of people saying they put a 30.9mm post in their bikes, but the Giants take a 30.8, but for 2005 I see they have gone to 30.9. Funny thing, we just git our first '05 AC the other day and when I went to install the seatpost the tube was only reamed to 30.9mm 3/4 of the way down so you can't slam the seat down. Anybody else seen this?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by spotthedogg
    I have noticed a lot of people saying they put a 30.9mm post in their bikes, but the Giants take a 30.8, but for 2005 I see they have gone to 30.9.
    They've always stated 30.8, but a Race Face 30.9 fit like a glove in my '01 NRS frame, and others have constantly reported similar observations with other brands of 30.9mm posts.