mtbr member
    Feb 2004

80/100mm fork on XTC frame?

I'm looking to upgrade my wife's XTC SE2 bike by ditching the Pilot SL fork and installing a Duke Race. At first I liked the SL as you could adjust the travel (I have a Pyslo SL) but the Race offers lockout which she finds appealing. But, I must select the travel as it is nonadjustable. Is 100mm too much for the frame? She has the 14" model. My LBS isn't much help on this matter.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4
    I'm looking to upgrade my wife's XTC SE2 bike by ditching the Pilot SL fork and installing a Duke Race. At first I liked the SL as you could adjust the travel (I have a Pyslo SL) but the Race offers lockout which she finds appealing. But, I must select the travel as it is nonadjustable. Is 100mm too much for the frame? She has the 14" model. My LBS isn't much help on this matter.
    Well it's as simple as if she is racing get the 80mm if not and just trail riding then go 100mm. Although with it being a 14" meaning she is quite small then I'm sure the 80mm will be more then enough. I'm running a u-turn fork on my bike and kep it at about 95mm even when racing. but our course are very very rough. But when I do deicde to get a new fork(fox) Iwould be getting a 100mm so I can always put it down to 80mm(not sure if you can do this with a duke), but something to keep in mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Well it's as simple as if she is racing get the 80mm if not and just trail riding then go 100mm. Although with it being a 14" meaning she is quite small then I'm sure the 80mm will be more then enough. I'm running a u-turn fork on my bike and kep it at about 95mm even when racing. but our course are very very rough. But when I do deicde to get a new fork(fox) Iwould be getting a 100mm so I can always put it down to 80mm(not sure if you can do this with a duke), but something to keep in mind.
    yeah, most people who race use 80mm forks right? what if theres some more technical parts of the race course? would a 80mm be adequete? or would it be too much? what is better about the 80mm over the 100mm for racing? If its like to decrease bob then what if you had a fork with something like spv, would it be better to get the 100mm over the 80mm for racing then?

thanks

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    yeah, most people who race use 80mm forks right? what if theres some more technical parts of the race course? would a 80mm be adequete? or would it be too much? what is better about the 80mm over the 100mm for racing? If its like to decrease bob then what if you had a fork with something like spv, would it be better to get the 100mm over the 80mm for racing then?

thanks
    No, the best is like the Marzocchi type ECC type lock down how it comprsses the fork down into a 1/4 of travel type thing. The reason people use 80mm over 100 is cause it changes the angles and the 80mm gets your weight more foward(like a road bike) and twitcheir but better for climbing allround.
    I keep my forks closer to 100mm cause it handles better downhill, but if your course/track is quite smooth then 80mm is fine, unless it's very steep(down of course).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have an 03 XTC 1 frame and have used several forks on it. I had a Duke U turn, but once the novelty of turning it wore off, I ended up leaving it alone most of the time. 80 mm definitely feels 'faster', until you need some BB clearance or point down hill. 100mm slowed the steering some (19 inch frame, prob more effect on smaller size), but I found it more enjoyable overall. I ended up buying a 100mm Marzocchi Marathon and it's great. The ETA is far more useful as far as a climbing aid, due to the instant on\off nature of the switch. I ended up lowering my stem by one 7mm spacer to offset the increased handlebar height. I think I have finally settled on the setup.