mtbr member
    May 2004

Are 8 inch rotors on a NRS too much?

I just stuck some 8 inch rotors on my NRS. They sure look big and intimidating (I had 6 inches on before). The reason I switched over because sometimes on decent it seems like my brakes arent grabbing that well. At a certain point the rear brakes starts to squeal. I do mostly downhill and uphill...nothing extreme. I weight about 170lbs btw. Should I stay with the 6 inches or go with the 8 inches. Oh my brakes are mechanical Avids.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Tried out the brakes yesterday. They're great. Here's my bike with them on (I bought the frame separately.. I know its not a true nrs air):

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002NRS
    I just stuck some 8 inch rotors on my NRS. They sure look big and intimidating (I had 6 inches on before). The reason I switched over because sometimes on decent it seems like my brakes arent grabbing that well. At a certain point the rear brakes starts to squeal. I do mostly downhill and uphill...nothing extreme. I weight about 170lbs btw. Should I stay with the 6 inches or go with the 8 inches. Oh my brakes are mechanical Avids.
    Yes, 8" rotors are too big for an NRS. The NRS is a cross country bike, and as such wasn't designed for DH-level brakes. Also, your fork's warranty is probably void with that big rotor, XC forks with QR dropouts should not be used with 8" rotors.
    Thanks,

James@Giant

mtbr member
    May 2004
    awesome thanks James! I'll switch back to the 6 inchers and save the 8 inchers when I decide to get a VT or something.

mtbr member
    awesome thanks James! I'll switch back to the 6 inchers and save the 8 inchers when I decide to get a VT or something.
    No worries, here to help.
    For what it's worth, I think an 8" rear rotor is overkill on anything but a DH bike. You really need a lot more rubber than with a 6" to transfer the extra force to the ground. A lot of rear travel helps too.
    Honestly, I think an 8" front rotor (on an approved fork of course!) is about all you need on a bike like the VT, should be pretty good actually.
    Nice bike!
    Cheers,

James

NRS
    Nice looking bike! But the 8" rotors are overkill. Unless you and the bike far exceed the 200 lbs. of total weight that you currently have, you dont need (or want?) that kind of stopping power. It would result in the wheels breaking free of the ground into a skid...OR...you'd be singing soprano from now on.
    "Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
    -Dave Attell

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the compliment. I think I'm around the 200lbs mark with me and the bike. I never got the bike weighted actually but I'm about 170lbs. Any thoughts about 7 inch rotors?

Fragile - must be Italian

6 inch rotors are plenty

Thanks for the compliment. I think I'm around the 200lbs mark with me and the bike. I never got the bike weighted actually but I'm about 170lbs. Any thoughts about 7 inch rotors?
    If a 6 inch rotor isn't stopping you adequately, then the rotors are NOT your problem -- the problem is with your brake system in general. Any XC-oriented disc brake system (Hayes, Magura, Avid, etc) will stop a 170lb person on an NRS with NO problem. I have friends who weight 50 pounds more than you on Heckler's that ride 6 inch rotors and have plenty of stopping power.

Take your bike to a shop and have your brakes checked out. If you have an old-school brake system that is not performing properly you might want to think about upgrading.

Thx...Doug

bi-winning

Stay at 6

6 inch rotars are plenty.

Nice bike by the way.

Trail rider and racer
    If you are using an 8" rotor to get more power, or because you are not satisfied with the power your current brakes are providing it may be worth getting a different set of disk brakes?
    Trev!

"El Whatever"

Oz...

Those are avids... if you ain't stopping with avids, you should consider upgrading to brembo motorcycle brakes.... he might need to tweak them up with the 6" rotors...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm about 180 or so pounds and my 6" Avids have more than enough power to stop me on my Rainier. It's awesome having all that power under one finger.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    having all that power with the 8's was great! But I switch back to the 6 because of warranty issues. The 6's are really tiny compared to the 8. Oh well

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    having all that power with the 8's was great! But I switch back to the 6 because of warranty issues. The 6's are really tiny compared to the 8. Oh well
    Come clean. Was the upgrade for cool points or were 6's really not doing it for you? I can't imagine 6's not being enough hehe.

RZK
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, how about some 7" on the front with a standard 6" on the back? I weigh (only?) 150 lbs. and I had some 6" Hope Mini's fade on me. Kinda scary when you are approaching a giant pine tree at 30+ miles per hour. Well, at least, it felt like 30+ miles per hour. You mentioned that you were using Avid mechanicals. I have Avid Juicy 7's. Just buy the 7" bracket with some rotors and you should be good to go. Those 8" rotors do look a bit funky. They look almost big as your wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance
    Come clean. Was the upgrade for cool points or were 6's really not doing it for you? I can't imagine 6's not being enough hehe.

At first I got the 8's because man they sure look cool and I wanted to get these hehehe

After I going back to the 6... its not the same anymore. I really like the stopping power of the 8.

RZK: I might just try out the 7's since I just sold the 8's

mtbr remember
    I've got a 180mm (approx. 7") front rotor and 160mm rear rotor w/ Mono Minis and I love them. Anything bigger will void the warranty on pre05 Fox forx anyway. In the rear you really don't need a huge rotor at all- it will just make it way too easy to lock it up, which you want to avoid. I actually prefer the modulation of smaller rotors in the rear for riding wheelies and manuals. If you want some rotors for style points, get some Hope Gothic rotors.
    Schralp it Heavy.