mtbr member
    Apr 2005

8 inch disc on reign2

Thinking of upgrading to an 8 inch front disc on my 2005 R2. Wondering if anybody has done this or whether anybody knows if the Nixon elite forks, dt cerit hubs and mavic 317 rims will handle the extra forces. I'm concerned that by not having a thru axle that maybe the quick release skewer might flex too much. Also with the hayes nines, do I need a certain disc (hayes) or can I use any 8 inch disc and adapter.

I feel that the nines just dont quite do the job, will increasing to 8 inch discs make any difference or should I look at going for a set of avid juicy 5 with 6 inch discs. Maybe these brakes will have more power than the hayes.

Anybody know where I can get some juicy 5's at a good price, maybe over the net ?

Any feedback appreciated.

Sicwombat.

mtbr member
    The Reign's wheelset is definitely strong enough to handle 8 inch rotors on both front and back. It doesn't matter what brand rotor you use, as long as you've got the right adaptor (no matter how many holes or wavy a rotor is- they all preform at about the same rate. only real difference is shedding mud and dirt).

The reason why Giant spec'd them out with 6" rotors is probably to reduce weight or the simple fact that corners need to be cut somewhere when bikes are this good in value!

The 2006 Reign 2 comes with Avid Juicy 5's... IMO out of the Big 3: shimano= best modulation but least power, hayes= a lot of power but less modulation, avid= a lot of power and a lot of modulation. Realistically though, unless you really like Avid Juicy 5's or can afford the upgrade- I'd simply go with the 8 inch rotor on the front. I've known many people who have done that on their all-mountain bikes and loved the extra stopping power. The 6" discs will never be as efficient in slowing you down as an 8" rotor due to pure physics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

thanks

The x.c, thanks for the reply. Thought there was nobody out there with any advice ! Sounds like simlpy going for an 8 inch disc and adapter is the cheapest option with the biggest effect, especially since the wheelset should be strong enough. I suppose with 70% of braking coming from the front end, upgrading the rear disc would probably be a waste of time.

Any other advice from other 8 inch converts, good or bad ?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm suprised no one replied- slackers! I still run 6" on the front. It's mainly because I feel that I don't need them (yet). But like I've said, most of my riding buddies have now changed to 8" up front and are loving the extra stopping power/lack of discs steaming. We ride "all-mountain" and I'm finding that with the 6" I do get a lot of pumping cause the fluid keeps heating up.

If you're not to comforable with changing the disc or don't have the tools, I'd suggest swinging down to you LBS and get them to fit it (or get a friend with the tools/knowledge to fit it). With small items like this, if you buy them online and get the LBS to fit it- it'll probably cost the same as buying the adapter and disc from your LBS who'll probably fit it for free.

spinner
    There have been debates on mtb forums about running an 8" disc with qr on the front. The argument against states that the extra torque produced by the bigger rotor has the effect of trying to pull the front axle downward from the fork dropouts under heavy braking.

I'm not familiar with the Nixons , but I imagine the skewer is held captive because of a counterbore cast into the dropouts. Most recent forks have this feature. It means that to remove the front wheel , the skewer has to be backed off at least 6mm before the wheeel can be pulled out. Just loosening the skewer a little , the wheel may be loose but cant physically come out of the forks.

I've run 8" Hayes hydros with qr on Marz DJ's and havent had the problem. The above argument sounds feasible , but in real life would be a rare occurence I believe.

Id say go for it ! Youre in Australia , aren't you? Downhill Direct have generic rotors for really good prices , better than paying $70 for a genuine Hayes.
    http://shop.dhdirect.com.au/

Sorry for being a slacker too

EDIT: found this thread , interesting read.
    http://forums.farkin.net/showthread....ick+release%22
    Last edited by Pinky; 09-14-2005 at 04:34 AM. Reason: added link

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've had both 6" and 8" discs with Minute 1 (QR) in VT. No problems with the QR, 8" is definitely a worthy upgrade. (BTW, now I have the Pike; 20 mm axle and those 400 grams of extra metal are just super, the improved stiffness feels in every corner.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Think I will give it a go.

Thanks guys for the advice. Think I will give the 8 inch option a go on the front. Will the adapter need to be specific for the manitou nixons? I'm pretty sure that its a different mounting than other forks (ie rockshox etc).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    Thanks guys for the advice. Think I will give the 8 inch option a go on the front. Will the adapter need to be specific for the manitou nixons? I'm pretty sure that its a different mounting than other forks (ie rockshox etc).
    There is a specific adapter for Hayes 6" => 8" for post mount (all Manitou) forks. Get that one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Can you guys help me too?

This seems to be a pretty active and helpful thread, i got a question for you boys. I'm trying to decide if i want to custom build a reign or faith frame or to just buy a stock bike. I'm a big ass guy, 215 on a good day and i'm pretty brutal to my bike. I enjoy xc most but i want a bike i can jump off 3-5 foot drops without fearing for my life lol. I want to know the frameweights of the faith and reign if anyone has weighed their's cause giant doesn't publish this info, and if any of you guys have personal experience you'd like to share, please do, ie durability, other frames i might want to look into...the '06 slayer looks pretty sick....thanks guys.

mtbr member
    I definitely think that both Faith and Reign frames can withstand you on a max 5" drop- except that the Reign will be asking you to do it and the Faith will be telling you to do so. Just depends on how often you see yourself doing this. A reminder that no matter what FR bike you buy- they really can't be pedalled up hills and are a chore (the drivetrain says it can, but it's so heavy that you can't). Unless of course you don't mind walking. IMO if you're into riding trails, just the more aggressive along the way, then the Reign (or similar) is what you want. Something like the Faith is just going to weigh you down for such riding (but it'd be great for DH runs and big gaps/drops).

In terms of whether to custom build of buy stock: depends on a) how much cash you can afford to spend on it and b) how much you like/dislike the stock parts on the Reign- If you're happy with the wheelset, hubs and suspension of the stock bike, then I'd say get it (considering that these are the most expensive "build" parts).

The Reign's are a very sturdy bike (with a weight to match...so is the Trance). However, you're not going to find such a good suspension platform as effective as the Maestro (whether you're one of these "marketing sux" people or not) in this price range. You're forgoing around 3-5 pounds on the competition (depending on what componentry you get). However, if you have the money.. a Santa Cruz or Intense or Ellsworth etc would give you what the Reign provides, with a little bit less weight but a whole lot more cash!

On another note: If you love trail riding in which climbing is important to you... then a Trance is worth thinking about. With the VPP style suspension, 4" may actually operate more like 5" on a Faux/Four Bar platform. There have been many Trance riders who've done 5-6" drops, without suspension bottoming out. It just depends how often you hit these 5" drops.

I've been considering both the Trance 2 and Reign 2 for quite a while. And after few months of fretting on what bike to buy (that is all FS Trail bikes out there!) I think I'm settling on the Trance 2. Due to the new 06 Reba spec of 85/100mm only, I'll move my Fox Vanilla 125R's (at 125mm) accross to the Trance and the Reba's on my HT. With the option of upgrading to Talas or RS Revelation's when I can/Vanilla's die. IMO this suits me best because Trail Riding is 99% of what I ride. Climbing and weight are important factors to me... and If i want to hit a 4" drop, I know the bike can take it (but that'll be rare). Good luck though, it's a horribly tough choice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks xc for the great insight

Man, I really appreciate all the great insight. You have been the most helpful person on the entire site and I've posted like 5 or 6 replys/threads. I'm def. not going with the trance specifically because I'm such a big guy (215 lbs). I ride an nrs xtc 3 right now and i hate it cause it feels like it's gonna snap under me. I also dented it with my shin during a fall which doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings. I think the reign is right for me, but i wanna make sure i get something burly enough for me cause i don't wanna do this twice lol. I'm not worried about bottoming out the suspension really, more so I'm afraid of destroying wheels and hubs, or cracking my frame. The new rocky mountain slayer for '06 looks rediculous, and I think it's coming down to that or a reign. I've also gone riding with my buddy who has a kona coiler that comes in around 35 lbs and he says it's not that bad to climb on since we're both big guys, he just hates climbing cause of the geometry. Anyone else wants to let me know their opinion, I'd really like to hear it. Thanks again xc.

spinner
    I've had my Reign 1 for 2 weeks now and I'm totally impressed with it. Climbs like a demon and on the descents , is almost as plush as my DH comp ! That sounds hard to believe , but don't worry ,I'm having trouble believing it too !
    I'm only 180 lbs , but the Reign feels plenty strong under me when blasting through fast , rough sections.
    I used to have an ' 03 Stinky , which is almost the same as a Coiler , just an extra inch of travel and compared to the Reign , it was heavier but stronger and more suited to abuse and bigger drops. It didn't climb as well as the Reign , but it wasn't too bad either. If you have any doubts about the strength of the Reign , the Coiler would be a good chioce. I doubt very much you will break it! Best to try a Coiler before you buy. They have a short top tube and give a very upright riding position compared to the Reign.
    I can't comment on the Slayer , I haven't ridden or seen one in the flesh.

Hope this helps