mtbr member
    Apr 2006

7" or 8" rotors for an AM Reign?

I need new brakes for my 05 Reign. It's a do all bike. Some XC and some very occasional light DH. Mostly a trail bike. Home is Phoenix ,but I ride all over the West. I ride the bike on all day rides and climb a lot. I want to keep the weight down, I think 7" rotors are the way to go. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I had a 7 on the front of my Fuel EX8.. it was awesome, it definitely had the edge over the 6 i have now on my hardtail.

I think 6 is fine on the back of the bike for sure.... But 7 up front is good on a Reign
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok thats what I thougt. 8 looks cool, but overkill for my type of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    I need new brakes for my 05 Reign. It's a do all bike. Some XC and some very occasional light DH. Mostly a trail bike. Home is Phoenix ,but I ride all over the West. I ride the bike on all day rides and climb a lot. I want to keep the weight down, I think 7" rotors are the way to go. Any thoughts?
    I think if you buy Avids you will be more than happy with 7" rotors. I run an 8" on the front of my reign and I find that its easy to over brake and loose momentum.
    I set up my bike like this cause I also have a down hill wheel set which I use for shuttling. For the heavy wheels and steep technical terrain the 8/7 disc combo works great.
    Last edited by other aardvark; 08-04-2008 at 02:49 AM.