Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    64

    650b/27.5 wheels, anthem or trance

    hello guys,

    ever since i started reading the benefits of having 27.5/650 wheels. I have started thinking about the anthem and trance on how they would benefit from that size of a wheel. also without having to change much in the geometry....

    so, would like to have 27.5/650 wheels on the either of the bikes?
    plz leave your thoughts and solutions....

  2. #2
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,841
    They already have BIG wheels, they're called 29ers. Don't know what's up with these 650B/27.5" wheels Wonder how many tyres you can find in that size?

    Oh and to keep this a bit more on topic, YES I'd like to see a 29er Trance and Anthem.

    Solutions - buy majority shares in GIANT and get them to produce these bikes, other than that wish all you want, if they won't make 29" wheeled bikes what would make you think they'd try 27.5"/650B wheels
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  3. #3
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by ningita
    hello guys,

    ever since i started reading the benefits of having 27.5/650 wheels. I have started thinking about the anthem and trance on how they would benefit from that size of a wheel. also without having to change much in the geometry....

    so, would like to have 27.5/650 wheels on the either of the bikes?
    plz leave your thoughts and solutions....
    I am not very familiar with those bikes, but it just comes down to clearance. Check out this Haro 650B experiment with the wheels.

    http://bikebizbabe.blogspot.com/2007...xperiment.html
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

    Pacenti Cycle Design

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    64
    im very interested in the 650b/27.5 wheels and would like to try them out Kirk....
    i got a giant anthem which i ride a lot, but i have ridden my friends 29er and notice that it rolls way better over stuff than 26ers do..

    what would need to be done to make the anthem able to use 650b/27.5 wheels, lengthen the rear triable? what would have to be modified for it to work?

    what would you guys (the people) think of 650b/27.5 wheels on an anthem or trance?

    and what about he possibilities of 29ers anthem or trance..?

    what makes more sence 29ers or 650b/27.5 wheels?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    They already have BIG wheels, they're called 29ers. Don't know what's up with these 650B/27.5" wheels Wonder how many tyres you can find in that size?

    Oh and to keep this a bit more on topic, YES I'd like to see a 29er Trance and Anthem.

    Solutions - buy majority shares in GIANT and get them to produce these bikes, other than that wish all you want, if they won't make 29" wheeled bikes [SIZE="4"]what would make you think they'd try 27.5"/650B wheels[/SIZE]
    it could be more economical and less costly in the R&D. Also, 650b/27.5 roll over the terrain better than 26ers.

  6. #6
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by ningita
    im very interested in the 650b/27.5 wheels and would like to try them out Kirk....
    i got a giant anthem which i ride a lot, but i have ridden my friends 29er and notice that it rolls way better over stuff than 26ers do..

    what would need to be done to make the anthem able to use 650b/27.5 wheels, lengthen the rear triable? what would have to be modified for it to work?

    what would you guys (the people) think of 650b/27.5 wheels on an anthem or trance?

    and what about he possibilities of 29ers anthem or trance..?

    what makes more sence 29ers or 650b/27.5 wheels?
    email me and we can discuss it off list.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

    Pacenti Cycle Design

  7. #7
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,841
    Sorry, trying to compare two bikes using 2 different forks and different tyres cannot be a real and fair comparison, the bikes of course will handle differently. Nice that the 650B wheels could be fit in the frame without any mods, but as said don't pick anything off the trail in the tyres or else.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  8. #8
    Recreational Racer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Sorry, trying to compare two bikes using 2 different forks and different tyres cannot be a real and fair comparison, the bikes of course will handle differently. Nice that the 650B wheels could be fit in the frame without any mods, but as said don't pick anything off the trail in the tyres or else.
    Truthfully it really depends on your height. If you are a small rider like me, then you might want to get on a 27.5 I had no problems crushing courses on my 29er, but I was muscling a lot of it, and the geometry was not right for me, and even with the smallest frame, threw the whole geometry off for the bike. I ended up going for a Giant Demo Ride of their 2014 27.5 line up. WOW!!!! The bike accelerated better, and cornered on a dime. I had to go test the clearance, and was amazed not much of a difference than my 29er. I rode the Team Carbon Set up for the Anthem on my Demo ride, and that thing was fast, and everything a racer should be. But then I switched to the Aluminum Trance for giggles, thinking yeah I just rode the TOP bike, nothing is gonna compare. I was wrong!! The Trance was heavier by some, but it climbed every bit as well, and when it came to hitting downhill, it crushed whatever was in my way. Bought my Fiancé an Anthem 27.5 decked out in XT(so I can race it, when I want to), and myself a Trance 27.5(cause it's just a BAD ASS bike) Frame and outfited it with my own preferences. Both are really exceptional bikes. I will say that the Trance has a high Bottom bracket clearance, which allowed me to clear stuff that I cleared on my 29er, but more efficiently, and will just as much speed. I also find it really great on tight turns, I am coming out of them with a lot more speed, and accelerating a lot better.

    Again if you are a taller some will say stay in the 29 Realm, but it really will be a preference.

    27.5 accelerates better, corners better, and the clearance is not much different than 29er.


    Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b/27.5 wheels, anthem or trance-trance.jpg  


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •