mtbr member
    Feb 2009

6'2" on a Reign X1 Medium?

Hey guys

I'm in a bit of a dilemma - just bought a 2008 X1 off ebay, expecting a large (as advertised) and it turns out that the moron who sold it is unable to figure from the big 'M' on the frame that it is actually a medium. I'm a little over 6'2" with pretty long legs and a shorter body.

I have to decide by the morning whether to keep it or demand my money back - only problem is I'm not going to get to test ride it. Sitting on it, it feels ok - although I have quite long legs and I have to put the seatpost up as far as it will possibly go.

I want to use the bike for pretty much everything - XC, light freeride and some downhill - do you think I'm going to find the medium size a pain in the ass when it comes to climbs and long XC rides?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My decision is made harder by the fact the frame is in absolutely mint condition (looks like it's only been ridden a couple of times).

mtbr member
    I think at 6'2" you may regret a medium, especially if you do any XC on it... I'm no expert here, but my all-mountain bike is an XL, and I'm 6'0". I did this precisely because I wanted a longer top-tube and wheel base. It makes climbing and longer XC rides more comfortable without using a super long stem and without moving my seat way back, and it also gives the bike a bit more stability when descending. I've also heard of some pretty tall people riding a medium citing that they're easier to flick/huck around. Those guys are almost always on the strict FR side of things though.

It's a tough call, I've heard of crazier things. How about getting outside now and whipping it around town a bit? You'll know right away if it sucks for seated climbing...
    Last edited by SurfSailRide; 02-19-2009 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    This will DEFINITELY give you both sides of the story, but will probably make you decision even more difficult.

AM bike fit

When it comes down to it, it's personal preference.

mtbr member
    From "Luigiugueto" in reference to someone else's question...

"I'm 61" and ride a medium frame, not sure what the TT lenght is but I know it's a 17" frame.. Go for it."

Check out that AM Fitting thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm 6'2 and 1/2" and I also have slightly longer legs than my torso. I ride a medium and I wouldn't have it any other way. Steep climbs can be a bit challenging, but who cares. It gets the job done. It's not like you're going to win any cross-country races on it, anyway. I always ride as small of a frame as I can, because it's lighter, stiffer, and easier to throw around.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I'm 6'2", but with legs that are longer than average for my height. I can't ride the Reign X series at all, as I max out the seatpost on the Large by almost 3 inches. I ride an XL Reign and XL Trance X. If you are trail riding the bike, send it back. You will be too top heavy, the wheelbase will be too short and you'll feel like you are pulling a wheelie going up hill, and going over the bars going downhill. If you are using the bike for park style riding where you keep the seatpost down, then it might be okay.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    6'1" and ride a large reign X. I do the kind of riding you describe and personally i wouldn't want to go any smaller.

mtbr member
    I like others will simply say, I am 6'1" and I ride a Large.. Mind you , I had a medium 2 bikes before, it wasn't exactly annoying to ride, it was just a little too small. felt a lil cramped.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys - I think I'm going to send it back. Part of me thinks I should give it a go for a few rides and sell it on if I end up hating it, but I think I'm just going to end up finding the medium is too small.

I took it out last night for a blast round town and although it didn't feel too cramped, the frame feels pretty small on me height wise. Having the seatpost as far up as I had to looked a little bit odd. I rode it down a long flight of stairs and the handling did feel slightly twitchy.

I think I'll look for a large instead and if the cockpit seems a little long then I can always swap the stem out for something slightly shorter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kakrafoon
    Thanks for the replies guys - I think I'm going to send it back. Part of me thinks I should give it a go for a few rides and sell it on if I end up hating it, but I think I'm just going to end up finding the medium is too small.

I took it out last night for a blast round town and although it didn't feel too cramped, the frame feels pretty small on me height wise. Having the seatpost as far up as I had to looked a little bit odd. I rode it down a long flight of stairs and the handling did feel slightly twitchy.

I think I'll look for a large instead and if the cockpit seems a little long then I can always swap the stem out for something slightly shorter.
    Finding the "best deal ever" on a bike can quickly turn into the "worst deal ever" if it doesn't fit right. There are always other bikes. Spend your hard earned money on one that is "perfect" (whatever that means) for YOU.

mtbr member
    ... and definitely give that seller a piece of your mind for getting your hopes up. That Ba@#$ard!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    ... and definitely give that seller a piece of your mind for getting your hopes up. That Ba@#$ard!
    I certainly will do. I'm putting together a very scathing email right now!

mtbr member
    Let us know how you make out. I'll keep an eye out for other deals and PM you if I see anything...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    6'2'' on a reign x large... i wouldnt go smaller

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    It's good you're sending it back. If you like going fast, the wheelbase of the medium will be WAAAY too twitchy on fast downhills...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    None of you guys have ever ridden a bmx, have you? It totally depends on how you ride, but for aggressive all-mountain, why would you want to ride cross-country measurements? I guess I'm used to riding smaller bikes, but if you shift your weight properly, a 23.2" top tube is pretty long for an aggressive medium frame. Also, you must have really long legs to have to over-extend the seatpost, because I'm over 6'2" with long legs, and I'm good with a bit to spare. I'm not saying everybody's wrong, because it's such a personal preference deal, but I didn't think that I was so unique in my thinking. I guess Momma would be proud!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    None of you guys have ever ridden a bmx, have you? It totally depends on how you ride, but for aggressive all-mountain, why would you want to ride cross-country measurements? I guess I'm used to riding smaller bikes, but if you shift your weight properly, a 23.2" top tube is pretty long for an aggressive medium frame. Also, you must have really long legs to have to over-extend the seatpost, because I'm over 6'2" with long legs, and I'm good with a bit to spare. I'm not saying everybody's wrong, because it's such a personal preference deal, but I didn't think that I was so unique in my thinking. I guess Momma would be proud!
    I don't think any of us would ride mountain bikes without getting on a BMX... The problem with MTB's that are too short is you keep bashing your knees on the handlebars. At least that's my problem. I like my bars low enough to pull on them as I'm mashing up a hill, but if the top tube is too short you can't put any power down cause your position on the bike is wack.

If the pedals are too close to the handlebars it sucks. I don't run longer stems either because that sucks too. You have to trade off on high-speed stability vs. whipping the bike/jumping. Since I'm that tall, I've found that the minimum wheelbase I like to run is 45 inches. Minimum. But, if the bike has long stays and pushes the BB too close to the front wheel, it's back to the drawing board...

I wouldn't want to ride my BMX down some of the trails I ride at 25+ MPH.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    In the end, I agreed with the Ebay seller that he'd give me a good discount on what I paid for the bike (given the fact he sent me a medium, not large framed bike). I'm in the process of aquiring a large 08 Reign X1 frameset, then I'll transfer the components from the medium bike and sell the medium on.

However, I've just been offered a really good deal on a 2009 Reign X frameset. I'm tempted to take that, but I wasn't sure how good running a DHX 4 air shock would be alongside the forks I'll be using (Fox 36 van R coils). Is running air shock at the back with coil forks going to feel a little mismatched? Should I just stick to getting the X1 frameset so that I have a coil shock to match the forks?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I think it would be fine. Both are quite tune-able, and you should be able to get a balance that you want. It's quite common to have air on one end, and a spring on the other.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by kakrafoon
    However, I've just been offered a really good deal on a 2009 Reign X frameset. I'm tempted to take that, but I wasn't sure how good running a DHX 4 air shock would be alongside the forks I'll be using (Fox 36 van R coils). Is running air shock at the back with coil forks going to feel a little mismatched? Should I just stick to getting the X1 frameset so that I have a coil shock to match the forks?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    I think you'll be surprised at how well that DHXAir 4.0 works on the Reign X, despite what you have up front.

My '09 Reign X came with the 'older' DHX Air version with the 15 click ProPedal adjuster. This really allows you to dial in that bike over the newer lever version. Just be sure to be generous in the sag department and stay away from trying to set it up like a shorter travel XC bike.

I do have to say that you guys like your bikes small. I'm 6-4 and the XL fits perfect with an 80mm stem. Actually, I sit quite a bit upright and am not stretched out at all. I can't run a 50mm stem unless I'm shuttling as it pushes my center of gravity too far back for climbing/normal trail riding. Even with a 80mm stem, the XL frame is fairly generous and easy to throw around.
    I would imagine someone 6-2 could run even an XL Reign X with a 50mm stem and be fairly comfortable on it.

pokyrider
    Feb 2009
    they dont make an xl they make xs s m l in the reign x check the website. the med will be too small I am 6 2 also and rode a large for a little while last year it is an ok bike but there are better options out there. i would sell it on ebay and buy a tracer screw giant bikes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Tracer and Reign X are not comparable bikes. Why didn't you like your Giant?