mtbr member
    May 2008

6 weeks on a Trance X029.

I have had the bike in various types of terrain and locations for the past six weeks. I am not totally stoked after some pretty good miles. The 29 goes xc way better than a 26 which has been a great change from the Specialized Enduro I was riding previously. This is my first 29 and they handle way slower and sluggish compared to a 26 on some fast downhill xc trails. Climbing is better than the 26 which is the biggest plus and is what is keeping me from selling this bike.
    The biggest bummer I have experienced has been with the downhill capability of this bike. In my opinion the suspension is junk and far from being a pleasure to ride. Hopefully it is my set up because I am not digging it. When I say downhill I am talking about fire roads and trails, not bike parks. The small bump compliance of this bike seems to be almost non existent and fast turns can interesting. The Suspension coupled with the cables making noise make it a rigid rattle trap and a little disappointing. I set the suspension up off of the Fox iPhone app and have adjusted it a little here and there.
    What should I do? Is the suspension junk? Evolution is the low end but can it be salvaged? Should I sell it and get something else? I would Love to hear some other opinions and teak information.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I have a trance X1 29er with the upgraded fit damper in the forks so my frame and suspension should be exactly the same as yours. I have found that the fox app is rubbish. Can you get the same suggested settings three times in a row? I bet not. I set sag manually and set it to 28-30% of the travel. I have found that 5 psi can make a huge difference to the small bump compliance. Take your time and if you normally ride your fast down hill sections in the attack position, that is, standing on the pedals, set your sag in the same stance. In this position you transfer more weight to the front wheels so you will have even less pressure in the rear shock than in an xc riding position. I'm 82 kgs with riding gear and run only about 140psi in the rear. I find that if you dont need to use the climb setting for long uphill sections you probably have too much pressure in the shock and your small bump compliance will go out the window on fast descents. Give that a try.

Your Best Friend
    Need to know your ready to ride weight to help you better. Like pvdm10 mentioned, aim for 30% sag.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Ready weight is 210 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Fox app setup was terrible for me. It placed my pressures WAY off what I usually used, so much that I did it 3 times to make sure the numbers were right. I ended up just setting it up based on sag and adjusting from there.

Edit: Try about 180PSI in the rear and adjust from there based on sag/feel. I'm not sure about the fork off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i don't use the app or sag on my x1. i'm 6' and 215. i fooled with mine for a month or so. 100psi in front and 210 in rear. once i got that set i started messing with rebound speed. i tried slower than midpoint and was running off the trail on turns... with just a couple of clicks faster than the midpoint it was fast. i'm happy now. that adjustment may be different for downhill but changing up the rebound makes a big difference in handling.

Your Best Friend
    I'd try 85 in the front and 185 in the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    ... changing up the rebound makes a big difference in handling.
    I agree with this 100%. I was astonished how much of a difference a small amount of rebound adjustment makes. Once you get the sag correct, start at mid-point on shock rebound. Then try two clicks slower, then two clicks faster. Try to ride the same section of trail all 3 times so you can compare the ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Yep, the rule of thumb on rebound is after you have set sag, you want to set rebound to the fastest setting that will stop suspension movement immediately after a compression stroke. If you ride off a step a few times, such as off a gutter and onto a road, you can get an accurate feeling of what the rebound adjustment is doing as you make small adjustments. Too slow rebound will not allow the suspension to recover on fast small bumps and it will get compressed further down in its stroke and will result in a hard, non-compliant feeling. Too fast will cause rapid rebound after compression and a bouncy feeling. This will also limit the ability of the wheel to track the ground (maintaining contact between the wheel and ground) as it will bounce off bumps.
    I must say I have found the trances suspension to be pretty good once set up correctly. I push the bike harder than it was intended on purpose build downhill courses and it handles it all pretty well given that it is only 5in travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Also just to let you know about the cable making noise. My LBS did a easy fix for this.....they took some zip ties on the cables themselves where they enter the frame top and bottom........pulled tension on the cable and tightened the zip ties......about 90% of the noise is gone.

wild times
    Sep 2010
    I recently invested in a 2013 Trance XO. Its a sweet bike, I am just trying to get my suspension dialed in now. I am 210lbs, so I will give your recommendation a shot. I have the front set at 95psi w/ 8 clicks and its great. I just put 185psi w/ 8 clicks in the rear and I will test that. I am totally happy w/ the ride so far, with 4 rides on it.