Thread: 6" Reign 3 ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

6" Reign 3 ?

I just bought a Reign 3 for $1200 and it has 130mm front fork, what's a 6" travel bike doing with a 130mm fork. I'll be replacing the fork shortly, along with the brakes and the driveline, but how can they sell a sub 6" travel fork on the Reign and still call it a 6" bike?
    TJ

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenit
    I just bought a Reign 3 for $1200 and it has 130mm front fork, what's a 6" travel bike doing with a 130mm fork. I'll be replacing the fork shortly, along with the brakes and the driveline, but how can they sell a sub 6" travel fork on the Reign and still call it a 6" bike?
    TJ
    That's a great deal you got. Did you measure the forks' actual travel? Maybe it has a longer axle to crown measurement than most, maybe that's why you got such a steal of a deal ALSO it's not like they advertise it with another fork and made a switch on ya, it's listed as coming with that fork.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

MBAA!
    granny gear, look...

One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm not "whinging?" or whining I was planning on getting a new fork anyway, and Giant didn't sell it at that price I got it on clearout of '05 stock. When I went into bike reviews, I saw that most people hate the shock and are also replacing it.....lighten up!
    TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by granny.gear
    Maybe you should stop whinging and Thank Giant for selling a Reign 3 with a 130mm fork at such a good price.

I just let one RIP
    Ihow can they sell a sub 6" travel fork on the Reign and still call it a 6" bike?
    TJ
    It is a 6" bike because it has 6" travel in the rear. Even if it had zero travel in front, it would still count as a 6" travel bike. The Reign 3 comes with a budget fork to hit price point, and there isn't (that I know of) a 145-150mm travel fork at that price point. So ride it 'til the budget Splice fork breaks, then replace it with a high quality 6" fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Now see, I didn't know about the designation of travel refered only to the rear travel, thanks. I'll ride it thru the winter and change up for the spring.
    TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    It is a 6" bike because it has 6" travel in the rear. Even if it had zero travel in front, it would still count as a 6" travel bike. The Reign 3 comes with a budget fork to hit price point, and there isn't (that I know of) a 145-150mm travel fork at that price point. So ride it 'til the budget Splice fork breaks, then replace it with a high quality 6" fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Now see, I didn't know about the designation of travel refered only to the rear travel, thanks. I'll ride it thru the winter and change up for the spring.
    TJ
    At $1200.00 that is and entry level bike which sell normally for $1600.00. The new bikes are more and don't have pedals. I know you spent alot of money but that comes only with the most basic part except the frame of course. Buy yourself a Zoke Z150FR and you should be very happy.

Dan Mitchell

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Oh, I know it's an entry bike, I just got it for the frame and something to ride thru the winter. My other bike was a original Sugar 2 that went for $2200, but when I saw what I could get the Reign for, I couldn't pass it up. I'm shopping for a fork as we speak.
    TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl
    At $1200.00 that is and entry level bike which sell normally for $1600.00. The new bikes are more and don't have pedals. I know you spent alot of money but that comes only with the most basic part except the frame of course. Buy yourself a Zoke Z150FR and you should be very happy.

Dan Mitchell

"El Whatever"
    Oh, I know it's an entry bike, I just got it for the frame and something to ride thru the winter. My other bike was a original Sugar 2 that went for $2200, but when I saw what I could get the Reign for, I couldn't pass it up. I'm shopping for a fork as we speak.
    TJ
    Get a Pike or a Zoke All Mountain I 130-150.

Yeah... stop whining. At least you didn't got a fork like an Axel that I got on my Warp at roughly the same price you paid... two years ago.

Really, Giant gives a lot of bike for your money. Only Ironhorse and Jamis come close.
    Check my Site

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Get a Pike or a Zoke All Mountain I 130-150.

Yeah... stop whining. At least you didn't got a fork like an Axel that I got on my Warp at roughly the same price you paid... two years ago.

Really, Giant gives a lot of bike for your money. Only Ironhorse and Jamis come close.
    I also just about bought an 05 Reign 3, Performance (in socal) had one left in blowout sell for 1000! But I blew it, will wait for 06. The 06 will be alittle slacker (nice), alittle lower (also nice) and have fox shock instead of mantiou. But it will cost more. For the cheaper brakes, they should of just stayed with Avid mechanical disk verses the crappy hayes Sole. The 06 high end Reign will have teh fox 36 fork, killer!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Cheeze....and I thought I got a great deal! So their changing the geometry of the frame? Maybe I should have waited....and not to whip a dead horse, but, my original question about the 6" travel was not because I thought I was getting screwed, but wondering on how the 6" title was applied when only the rear suspension had that performance. When you look at the Reign 1&2, their suspensions made sense and for someone who didn't know better, would think that the Reign 3 followed suit. I was trying to make the point that it almost seemed like a bait and switch. I think Giant has an excellent product or I wouldn't have bought one. I had been looking at the Yeti 575, the Nomad, the Fat Possum and the Cannondale MX, but liked the suspension/frame setup on the giant and went with the 3 because I could pick and choose my own build up. Haven't decided on the fork as of yet, but for brakes I'm thinking the juicies....TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    I also just about bought an 05 Reign 3, Performance (in socal) had one left in blowout sell for 1000! But I blew it, will wait for 06. The 06 will be alittle slacker (nice), alittle lower (also nice) and have fox shock instead of mantiou. But it will cost more. For the cheaper brakes, they should of just stayed with Avid mechanical disk verses the crappy hayes Sole. The 06 high end Reign will have teh fox 36 fork, killer!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If it's too good to be true...............it AIN'T! Just received my '05 18" Reign 3 left-over after 10 days of waiting. The only problem, is the 16" frame size sticker! I think someone is jerking my chain, it's not like you can't read it in plain sight! I am totally pissed off and just may wait till spring now............TJ

EDR
    Cheeze....and I thought I got a great deal! So their changing the geometry of the frame? Maybe I should have waited....and not to whip a dead horse, but, my original question about the 6" travel was not because I thought I was getting screwed, but wondering on how the 6" title was applied when only the rear suspension had that performance. When you look at the Reign 1&2, their suspensions made sense and for someone who didn't know better, would think that the Reign 3 followed suit. I was trying to make the point that it almost seemed like a bait and switch. I think Giant has an excellent product or I wouldn't have bought one. I had been looking at the Yeti 575, the Nomad, the Fat Possum and the Cannondale MX, but liked the suspension/frame setup on the giant and went with the 3 because I could pick and choose my own build up. Haven't decided on the fork as of yet, but for brakes I'm thinking the juicies....TJ
    Just to clarify about the travel designation...Giant did follow suit naming the 3 like the 1 and 2...they all have 6'' of REAR travel. I believe all bikes are designated this way now. My 575 has 5.75'' of REAR travel. The Yeti build kits give you a choice of a 130mm fork or the 150mm Fox36, its still a 5.75'' travel bike either way... not that it matters, I would think that a fork that closely matches the rear travel would be most desirable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Just to clarify about the travel designation...Giant did follow suit naming the 3 like the 1 and 2...they all have 6'' of REAR travel. I believe all bikes are designated this way now. My 575 has 5.75'' of REAR travel. The Yeti build kits give you a choice of a 130mm fork or the 150mm Fox36, its still a 5.75'' travel bike either way... not that it matters, I would think that a fork that closely matches the rear travel would be most desirable.
    Not all bicycles have models have the travel in the model name(or number) of the bike.
    It usually does not matter that much on the travel of the fork but the way you ride and the way it feels is more important too me. I like a balanced ride on my bike personally. I have a Reba Race 115 up front on my Trance and it feels great. I have ridden the T2 with a 100mm Reba up front and did not like the way it felt. That's just me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    strangely both the Reign 2 and 3 come with 130-mm forks in Oz. I not worried about travel, its just that it changes the head angle to aprox 70-degrees. II think the bike was designed for 6-inch fork. I never tried the rock shock 130mm fork which came on my Reign 3. I but my Nixon Platinum on as soon as it came out of the box.

mtbr member
    It's pretty unusual for a bike to have exactly the same amount of travel front and rear. Most bikes have slightly more travel in the back.