Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5'7" What size are folks riding ? (Trance X)

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Turbowitz 
#1 ·
Hello folks

The 2011s are looking really nice and I am looking to get the Trance X to fill the line-up. I have an older 4" XC bike, 7" FR bike and steel SS. Oh, yes .... and the Giant TCR2 roadie.

Looking at the specs I am between a S(16) and the M(18). I will go try them out at the store as soon as they are available. But would like to get a sense what size bikes are folks riding here.

I am looking to the TX for a aggressive XC'ish duty (if that makes any sense).

So ... a quick post on height & size would really help.

Thx.

#3 ·
I'm 5'7" and ride a 16" 2010 Trance X. My stock seatpost, 375mm I think, still has 10mm left to spare. Running with 90mm stem. Stock seatpost is setback a little, may be around 23mm.

But then again, your dimensions will definitely be the best indication as to which size you should be on. I test rode an 18" Trance X and while it fit just fine, I just felt it a little on the big side for me.

#9 ·
I'm 5 foot 7.5 inches and had to choose between a medium or small. It was either a 16inch with a 90mm stem or a 18inch with a 70mm stem. In the end I chose the 16inch because it has a shorter wheelbase and thus easier to whip or snap around on trails with tight turns close together. It is probably a little less stable at speed, but I can handle that and am willing to trade some stability for maneuverability. I had to upgrade from a 367mm seat post to a longer version because it was about 5-10mm shorter than I needed for a XC climbing position. I am currently running a 410 mm Thomson, but would like to trade that for an adjustable.

I like to climb but love to descend and curvy single track is like sweet candy!

#13 · (Edited)
Honestly - if you are a true 5-7 (not 5-5, and adding 2 for shoes ;) ), and have normal length arms and legs, a size MEDIUM would make a better 'all day ride' type of fit.

If you are under 5-7, shorter arms and legs than normal, or are going to use the bike for short track racing, back flips, or trials, then a 16 may in fact be an option.

I am 5 - 10.25 in bare feet, and the 18 medium felt TINY! Felt like I was hanging over the front....

#16 ·
Hi, new on this board. Got myself a 2010 Trance X3 recently after an absence from mountain biking for many years.

I'm 5'9", 31" inseam and my TX3 is 18". When I was shopping around, I didn't try out a 16" because I felt comfortable on an 18", even though I feel I could use a couple more inches of stand over clearance. According to Giant's specs, the 16" has a 1" shorter wheelbase and top tube but only 0.5" lower stand over height.

Like everyone has said, the only way to know what fits is to try the different sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.