mtbr member
    Oct 2005

5" fork on a trance

What are the effects of putting a 5 inch fork on a trance? does it significantly throw off the geometry? is it a good or bad idea?

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by temp49
    What are the effects of putting a 5 inch fork on a trance? does it significantly throw off the geometry? is it a good or bad idea?

thanks
    i'm riding a Fox Vanilla RLC on my Trance that is set to 120mm and i like the steering more compared to the factory setup with 100mm in the front.It feels balanced with slacker steering angle whereas the original fork lenght has a tendency i would describe as quick.But you should note that the axle/crown distance of the Fox forx is lower compared to other manufacturers.
    So if you take a marzocchi with same travel it will be slightly longer, steering angle will get more flat.

telemarc
    Jan 2005
    My girlfreind ran a Talus on hers and wound up leaving the fork at 130 mm all the time for best XC results.

MTB B'dos
    As stated what is more important is the axle to crown measurment compared to what comes speced for the Trance. I have a T3 with a REBA and I extended the travel all the way out to what's "sposed" to be 115mm, but when I measure the stancions I'm at 120mm. Axle to crown measurement on the REBA at this setting is 19.25". Since I've done this I can't say I've noticed too much difference in how the bike feels - could definitely feel the difference when climbing at first - but I also lowered the stem 10mm to help compensate for the feel. Definitely gives a little slacker/taller angle for decents, don't think you'd have a prob with a 5" fork within reason. Use my measurement as a guide on axle to crown length.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by temp49
    I ran a '05 Float 130R initially at 100mm (30mm spacer), went up to 110mm (20mm spacer), but then settled back to 105mm (25mm spacer). At 110mm, the geometry was slower than what I had expected out of this genre of bike, but it felt the most balanced front-to-rear in terms of rock gardens and rolling drops (not 'hucking' drops; not really what I want to do on this bike), but for me there was a bit to be desired in terms of rigidity. The 105mm travelk setting turned out to be a good compromise between the quickness that makes turning a bike invigorating, versus the amount of work I had to do landing the front end.

FYI, my Trance is set up as a trailbike/epic, but in reality I ride it when I want more "sports-car"-like reactions (acceleration, flickability, trail feedback) compared to my 6x6 coil-sprung all-mountain rig. So I end up taking it through most of the stuff I ride with the big bike anyways, but obviously with more finess and less aggression. Hence the desire for fork rigidity. The Trance rear end is SOLID.

If Rock Shox released a Maxle-endowed Reba Team/Race (meaning air-sprung, ~105-110mm of travel, and ~4lbs), the Float would be gone quicker than the end of this sentence.
    Last edited by DtEW; 11-02-2005 at 02:41 AM.

Johny Sokko!
    I have a 2005 Minute 1 on my Trance and love every bit of it! 100mm when climbing and 130mm when coming down! As a matter of fact! I'm waiting for my 3-way Swinger Frame shock to arrive. This my friend has become the ultimate ride (Full SPV Suspension).

Stoner

Members who have read this thread: 0