mtbr member

4" fork in Trance 29'er?

I'm considering building a new bike, and I really like the Trance X 29er frame. Now the problem is that I currently own a 4" fork, and the Trance is designed around a 5" fork. I canít afford to buy a new fork too, so I was wondering: the Trance has a slacker headtube and seatpost angle so basically adding the shorter travel fork, will steep these angles to values closer to the ones of a more XC bike the Anthem X29er. So basically it will be like having a beefier Anthem with shorter chainstays and lower standover height, not bad for me

Also, according to my research, the Trance has a 13.25" bottom bracket height, while the Anthem has a 12.8" bb height (I'm not sure if this is correct)so the shorter travel fork will reduce the bb height but not an inch, the bb is not under the front axle, is actually closer the rear axle (17.8" from it according to the limited geometry info that Giant provides in their website) So according to my basic CAD drawings and to my online research this should lower the BB height to around 13" high...still higher than the Anthem 29'er one.
    So what do you guys think? Does it make sense? Has anybody else tested a 4Ē fork in this bike?

Your Best Friend

Re: 4" fork in Trance 29'er?

As an interim fix, sure. I think you should plan on upgrading eventually, otherwise, what is the point in getting a Trance. Just get an Anthem instead.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    As an interim fix, sure. I think you should plan on upgrading eventually, otherwise, what is the point in getting a Trance. Just get an Anthem instead.
    Agreed. Take this advice. The trance is an amazing bike. I can't beleive I ALMOST sold mine! I'll keep her forever
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member

4" fork in Trance 29'er?

Sure the idea is to get a 5" fork eventually. I just to make sure that while I save for the fork the bike is still rideable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Then yea! Can find rebas and fox32 for less than $300
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...