Born on 2 Wheels

New question here. 4.5 Rockers for NRS

hey guys, I know it's been talked about but............ So I got a 04 Giant NRS and I wandering about those 4.5 rockers? will i still have the no bob if I put these on? and is it true's a plusher ride? Or am I wasting my time? also where do I get these? looked on ebay.........no, searched google for sgf rockers................no?

Thanks-
    Sam

Duckman, and suggestions?
    I would greatly appreciate
    RIDE HARD
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

RZK
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    http://www.sgfcomponents.com

Checkout this thread. Lot more info on the 4.5 rockers:

4 1/2" link to compensate for 4" fork angle

Quote Originally Posted by NRSDude
    hey guys, I know it's been talked about but............ So I got a 04 Giant NRS and I wandering about those 4.5 rockers? will i still have the no bob if I put these on? and is it true's a plusher ride? Or am I wasting my time? also where do I get these? looked on ebay.........no, searched google for sgf rockers................no?

Thanks-
    Sam

RIDE HARD
    Last edited by RZK; 05-02-2004 at 08:00 PM.

I love burritos.
    Is that a bearing I see?

I wonder what size those bearings are. I'd love to replace all the bushings with bearings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NRSDude

Thanks-
    Sam

RIDE HARD
    I have 2 sets in my tool box. Bothed used, but still fine. In red and in black FYI. I guess I could send them to you if you wanted, no charge, since I don't ride a NRS anymore. I would not accept liability or anything as the rockers do void your warranty. Now that the frames have gone through a change I wonder if these rockers are still compatible??

I don't know if plusher is the word, but the bike becomes more responsive, and I think you even sit in a little sag. But it also puts more load on the shock so you need to run more air. I don't know how set up would be affected since you are riding a 2004 frame.

Are they worth it. I guess they are in a sense, but after a while I moved back to the original size rockers, I don't know why, I guess I just preferred it or something.

In essence, the bike is designed for specific rockers, so I don't know if it is worth it in the long run. If you want plusher look at another shock or another frame.
    Trev!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Hi,

I have been using the 4.5 inch rockers for about 10 months now and I am very positive about them.

will i still have the no bob if I put these on?

Yes, as with the original rockers the no bob is achieved by setting the pressure such that your body weight does not compress the shock. You do need to run at 10-15 psi higher than the 3.75 setting so the only restriction on the 4.5 rockers is a situation where you are very heavy and the extra 10-15 psi would require you to run the shock at over its recommended limit (I think the original NRS this was 250psi, but my manual states 300psi, I am using Giant's own shock after my SID died, this was prior to using the 4.5 rockers FYI). This is the same as if you were using the 3 inch setting on the original rockers where you would lower the pressure.

and is it true's a plusher ride?

In a word yes. However, plush is one of those wooly terms which probably means different things to different people. Trevor is probably hits the nail on the head when he says it is more active. Basically the suspension activates more over smaller hits than the 3.75 setting, so you get a slightly smoother ride. It is still not active (in the no bob setting) in that as it is topped out it will not drop the suspension into a depression as a fully active rig would. But this is something I have never felt a need for.

Or am I wasting my time?

Why not take Trevor up on his offer and give them a try? The rockers have both the 3.75 and the 4.5 settings on them. I must admit I really only use them on the 4.5 setting now with 110 mm up front. By having the choice though you can select the suspension setting you want for the ride you are going to do. I even run it with a bit of sag (about 3mm) sometimes it the going is really bumpy to make it more active.

By having the Psylos I have the option of having a short travel setup for tricky routes where speed and change of direction is important, to long travel plush fest for those all day outings. It gives you more options. That said whenever I read a magazine review of multi travel bikes most of the reviewers seem to always end up using the longer travel as a default.

Regards

Born on 2 Wheels
    Thanks guys I might get some, you got all my questions! But..... will these work on the 2004 frame since they changed it around?
    -Sam
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I have 2 sets in my tool box. Bothed used, but still fine. In red and in black FYI. I guess I could send them to you if you wanted, no charge, since I don't ride a NRS anymore. I would not accept liability or anything as the rockers do void your warranty. Now that the frames have gone through a change I wonder if these rockers are still compatible??
    I would take you up on that offer if it still stands. I was debating on trying these out on my 2003 frame. Let me know if the offer applys to me...

was
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I have 2 sets in my tool box. Bothed used, but still fine. In red and in black FYI. I guess I could send them to you if you wanted, no charge, since I don't ride a NRS anymore.
    Trevor - I ride an NRS in England, and was wanting to try a set of these rockers. I was wondering if you would sell me a set of plates, I'd cover the postage of course and include some beer money. Please email me if you would do this for me!

ta, Will - wiiillll at hotmail.com (3i's and 4L's)

mtbr member
    Interested in trying these things out. Don't really need them for where I ride (Raleigh area of North Carolina), but they would be kick arse for the mountian rides I do on occasion.

I have seen a few instances of people who tried them and then did not use them (switchec back to stock). Most of you guys who have tried them.... do you run them regularly on your bike?

Can you reccomend them?

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    Can you reccomend them?
    Yes! I have had these rockers on my 2002 NRS2 for a year now. I have not moved them to the 3.75 travel position since I got them, and cannot think of any reason why I would put the stock rockers back on. I run mine with a CaneCreek Cloud 9, as the Sid that came on the bike only lasted 13 months before it died. It makes for a very nice ride.

mtbr member
    Cool.... what kind of fork are you running? You running the stock fork? I have a '02 as well. Was thinking about swaping out the fork eventually.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    Cool.... what kind of fork are you running? You running the stock fork? I have a '02 as well. Was thinking about swaping out the fork eventually.
    Yes - The stock fork - Manitou Black 80/100. I tried in the 80mm travel position one time and the front end felt a little low for my taste, it's been left at 100 ever since.