Dudette

2X8 to 1X8 conversion help

I have a 2005 Giant Yukon hardtail that I have made a number of changes on over the years. As I was lucky enough to purchase one of the new Trance X 29ers this fall, I am looking to kind of re-purpose the ol' guy once again. A couple of years back I replaced the crankset with a 3-ring Truvativ. With the help of a friend, we removed the outer chainring and replaced it with a bashguard. When the fork wore out, I replaced it with a 120mm 20mm thru axle Rock Shox. I also upgraded the wheelset to burlier Azonic Outlaws, put on a shorter stem and wider bars. I have the smallest frameset this model came in and my friend always thought it would make a sweet little indoor park bike.

I plan on building some small ladder bridges and stuff for the backyard to practice on and wanted to simplify the bike a bit more. With that in mind, I want to remove the front derailleur and make the bike a 1x8. My friend suggested I try to find a smaller chainring than the 32 middle. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find one. Keeping the middle chainring would also ensure that I have the best chainline, correct? That being said, would I need new chainring bolts that are shorter, to accept the bashguard and middle chainring (so it'd be essentially for a double chainring crankset)? Has anyone done this before on an old 3x8 drivetrain? Like I said, I don't want to spend money on new parts and wanted to see how feasible this would be.

Thanks in advance!

Dudette
    Came up with another question. I'll want some way to help prevent the chain from dropping off to the inside. I've seen the N-Stop Chainkeeper. I know I have an e-type derailleur on the bike now. What size clamp would I use - does anyone know?

Dudette
    Well, one question answered. I don't need different chain ring bolts as I will be removing the granny and it utilizes different bolts anyway. But I am going to look into some sort of chain keeper. Has anyone tried the Bionicon? Just wondering if that might suit my purposes better and keep the chain from jumping around.