mtbr member
    Aug 2015

2016 Giant Trance 3 Review

After months and months of researching bikes from Santa Cruz, Scott, Trek, and Giant I finally have the bike of my dreams. I wanted something that could do it all, at a competitive price of around $2,000. The 2016 Giant Trance 3 is an absolute monster and does everything I need it to do. Its a bike you can ride every day of the year with no problems and it'll last. I take it on the small loop by my house which is easy dirt trails and some single track all the way up to Snow Summit Bike Park. Located in Big Bear, CA.The bike does it all. 140mm front and back and I can keep up with the guys on their 45 lb $7,000 downhill bikes. I shortened the stem, added a dropper and I ride it very aggressive. If you're looking for a do-it-all-bike buy a Giant Trance. It is a light bike that handles great and will get you down the mountain quick.

TRANCER
    Can never go wrong with a Trance... Of any year. Maestro is top of the line
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Picking my 2015 trance 3 up this weekend. I am pumped and already debating upgrades. The Rl gold fork in your 2016 is an upspec of the 2015. I may be able to get close to it with a moco kit for my tk fork.

Super Dad
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    Picking my 2015 trance 3 up this weekend. I am pumped and already debating upgrades. The Rl gold fork in your 2016 is an upspec of the 2015. I may be able to get close to it with a moco kit for my tk fork.
    dont bother with upgrading the tk fork. get a fox 34 or pike. i have a 14 trance that ive been abusing for a couple of years now. 2016 fox 34 up front and evol shock on the back, bike is truly a do it all. have rode it at pisgah, bike parks, local northeast trails. treat it right and it will love you in return
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2016 Trek Stache 5

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I concur with 34mm minimum. It's really a shame what they come with. Otherwise, awesome bike.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2015 Gravity Monster
    2014 Kona Process 134a

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Rode my 2015 Trance 3 for the first time today and I am blown away by it. All I can compare it to is my 2004 Norco Fluid 3 but I just mow over roots that I used to slow down for. It just carries speed so nice and even turns well considering the slack geometry. I probably will just hold off for a 34mm fork but don't need one yet with the type of trail I ride right now. Even the cockpit feels good to me and won't get changed along with adding a dropper until I am riding steeper descents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Rode my 2015 Trance 3 for the first time today and I am blown away by it. All I can compare it to is my 2004 Norco Fluid 3 but I just mow over roots that I used to slow down for. It just carries speed so nice and even turns well considering the slack geometry. I probably will just hold off for a 34mm fork but don't need one yet with the type of trail I ride right now. Even the cockpit feels good to me and won't get changed along with adding a dropper until I am riding steeper descents.
    How was it on more XC, tight singletrack?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In a word 'stable'. I know it doesn't turn like a xc race bike but holds its own as long as you get some weight over the bars. The solid frame and wheels help it hold a line way better than my old bike.

mtbr member
    How big of a difference is there between the 2014 model and the new 2015/2016 models? Looking at picking up a used 2014 for a decent price and wondering if it's worth it or not
    2011 trek fuel ex 5
    evo mx-6 white flat pedals
    specialized clutch 2.3 front tire
    hutchinson toro 2.35 rear tire

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    How big of a difference is there between the 2014 model and the new 2015/2016 models? Looking at picking up a used 2014 for a decent price and wondering if it's worth it or not
    depends a lot on the model - some like the Trance 2 are (much) better for 2016 since it has non-Evo Fox 2016 suspension plus a dropper post, but some like the 3 may not be much different. Also comes down to personal preference (SRAM vs Shimano, RS vs Fox)

If you are looking at a used 2014 at a good price, you can always upgrade parts with the money you saved over a new bike so...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    depends a lot on the model - some like the Trance 2 are (much) better for 2016 since it has non-Evo Fox 2016 suspension plus a dropper post, but some like the 3 may not be much different. Also comes down to personal preference (SRAM vs Shimano, RS vs Fox)

If you are looking at a used 2014 at a good price, you can always upgrade parts with the money you saved over a new bike so...
    This is what I was thinking. It's a 2014 trance 3, good condition, looking at picking it up for $1400.
    2011 trek fuel ex 5

rubber side down
    This is what I was thinking. It's a 2014 trance 3, good condition, looking at picking it up for $1400.
    If it's the red one, they were around $2200 brand new.....I'd be trying to get it for $1200. Plus make sure they have the original receipt for warranty purposes. If it is all stock you can use the extra $ to upgrade the cockpit and some other stock parts
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    If it's the red one, they were around $2200 brand new.....I'd be trying to get it for $1200. Plus make sure they have the original receipt for warranty purposes. If it is all stock you can use the extra $ to upgrade the cockpit and some other stock parts
    It is the red one, and I'll try and talk him down. Upgrades include shorter stem/longer bars, 180mm rear rotor, and nevegal 2.35 F/R. What would be the first upgrades in everyone's opinion?
    2011 trek fuel ex 5

NedwannaB
    What would be the first upgrades in everyone's opinion?
    Seat dropper. 30.9 seat tube size.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    dont bother with upgrading the tk fork. get a fox 34 or pike. i have a 14 trance that ive been abusing for a couple of years now. 2016 fox 34 up front and evol shock on the back, bike is truly a do it all. have rode it at pisgah, bike parks, local northeast trails. treat it right and it will love you in return
    So much for holding off on a 34mm fork. Today I bought a brand new X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm for $300 CAN ($220 USD) shipped on ebay. Reviews on the fork are great so I couldn't resist. It's internally adjustable so I will probably run it at 140mm for the tight rooty singletrack I ride.

mtbr member
    So much for holding off on a 34mm fork. Today I bought a brand new X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm for $300 CAN ($220 USD) shipped on ebay. Reviews on the fork are great so I couldn't resist. It's internally adjustable so I will probably run it at 140mm for the tight rooty singletrack I ride.
    Post up what you think of it, heard a lot of good things about that fork
    2011 trek fuel ex 5