Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 2016 Anthem SX

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    145

    2016 Anthem SX

    Picked it up last week. Did a fair amount of demoing on Trances and Anthems and landed on the Anthem SX. Really checked all the boxes for me:

    Aggressive XC riding
    Wide bars
    Dropper
    SLX or better on pretty much every component.

    The Maestro is really an incredible suspension platform. I've been on HT 29er's for the past 5 years and the way this thing climbs is incredible. I've certainly noticed the smaller wheel size doesn't roll some stuff as well, but it really accelerates so much quicker and is so fun and quick in the tight, twisty stuff. It's really taking my technical riding to a whole new level. Loving this bike so far!

    2016 Anthem SX-sx.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    134
    Yesterday, I bought myself a '15 27.5 3 Anthem. I feel similarly. It's not a 29, but it's not a 26. It's a good blend of some of their respected traits. I used to be on an '05 Trek 26-inch hardtail. This is much different, when different means better! Sick colors on that SX model.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3
    I've been looking at the Anthem vs Anthem SX. What's your take on it? Curious what led you to the SX over the standard Anthem. As right now I'm looking at buying 2 bikes, a Anthem for when I'm doing Fire Roads/Climbing/Descending (nothing too technical) and a Reign for the Technical Trails/Down Hill. I've been trying to figure out exactly what I want in both, and the Anthem has been giving me more difficulties as I'm torn between the normal and SX models (and whether to go Carbon or Aluxx SL). So looking for input..

  4. #4
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,883
    I think the SX is the better option for anyone that isn't focused on XC racing. Put simply, the extra travel up front, and dropper post make the bike much more versatile. It still retains the quick handling, but you have the extra travel for when things get rough and that dropper for steep chutes should you need it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    134
    As stated earlier in this thread, I have the standard Anthem 27.5 3...but its Recon Gold fork can be stretched to 120mm, like the Anthem SX. My worry is that the extra 3/4 of an inch might affect the handling or climbing. Is it a silly fear? Is it worth the hassle of removing the spacer to unlock extra travel?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by grumple View Post
    Curious what led you to the SX over the standard Anthem.
    I went with the SX for a few reasons. I debated back and forth between a Trance and Anthem for a long time. I'd been on HT 29er's for about 5 years and those bikes were mostly XC oriented. I knew I wanted to go FS with my next bike and I wanted a bike that would expand my riding capabilities while still being the right bike for 90% of my riding. After riding the Trance a few times I knew that was more bike than I needed and knew I would get frustrated with that much travel. The Anthem however seemed too far the opposite direction. It was quick but I found on demo rides it didn't really encourage me to take more chances on technical stuff, small jumps etc. It was fast but not confidence inspiring once it got chunkier, for me anyways. Then I was able to demo an SX and it just seemed to bridge the gap perfectly. Super efficient pedaling platform with the Maestro and 100mm of rear travel, but the 120 up front really gave me the confidence to hit some more technical stuff. It also has all of the upgrades over the Anthem that I would have made anyways: wider bars, dropper post, beefier front tire. For me it was pretty much good to go out of the box. I think it'll handle most everything that I will throw at it. You mentioned buying a Reign for downhill, and if you're riding a lot of true downhill this bike isn't for that, it's fills a need between the Anthem and Trance, but is more XC than AM. Aggressive or Technical XC is what I'd describe it as.

    As to your question about Carbon or Aluminum...I think you'll get 95% of the performance out of aluminum for about 70% of the cost, so if that 5% matters to you, go for it. If not, save the money or put it into upgrades.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by SRRD-RacinG View Post
    As stated earlier in this thread, I have the standard Anthem 27.5 3...but its Recon Gold fork can be stretched to 120mm, like the Anthem SX. My worry is that the extra 3/4 of an inch might affect the handling or climbing. Is it a silly fear? Is it worth the hassle of removing the spacer to unlock extra travel?
    I think the extra travel really makes the bike come alive. It does put you in a slightly different climbing position so to adjust for that I slid the saddle forward on the rails to get the right position over the bottom bracket. That should be the only adjustment you'd really have to make. Is the Recon Gold you have a 30mm stanchion or 32? You might notice some flex in it if you extend it and it's a 30. Might not though either depending on how heavy you are and how hard you're riding it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    134
    It's the 32mm stanchions and I'm only about 160 lbs.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    60
    Thanks for the review!

  10. #10
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,787
    Would love to try and Anthem with a 120 pike on the front.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    134
    What drops would be considered too much for a 100mm rear?

  12. #12
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by SRRD-RacinG View Post
    As stated earlier in this thread, I have the standard Anthem 27.5 3...but its Recon Gold fork can be stretched to 120mm, like the Anthem SX. My worry is that the extra 3/4 of an inch might affect the handling or climbing. Is it a silly fear? Is it worth the hassle of removing the spacer to unlock extra travel?
    I bought the 2014 Anthem 27.5 DEMO from my LBS. I had an SLX rear deraileur and XT rear shifter, so I swapped that day 1. Within 2 months I upgraded the stem/bars, went to a 1x drivetrain and took the spacer out of the fork. BEST! Slackened the head angle and made for a much more fun/playful ride. Since then I upgraded the seat/seatpost, went tubeless. Also took about 3.5 lbs off with the upgrades.

    Basically now an SX for 1/2 the cost. I've posted my rig in a few threads in here, but what the hell...I like looking at my bike

    I would love to put a Pike on it.....if I ever move back to Colorado I will.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Anthem SX-anthem3.jpg  

    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

  13. #13
    rubber side down
    Reputation: TAOS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by SRRD-RacinG View Post
    What drops would be considered too much for a 100mm rear?
    I have not bottomed out the rear yet and I've hit some decent sized drops to flat....4 to 5' range. I also weigh in at around 210lbs. Once I upgrade the rear wheel to 12x142 thru axle and get a stronger rim it will stiffen the rear even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    134
    That's good to know. I am going to have my fork extended to 120mm soon (to essentially make it an SX model). I'm a light rider (165 with gear on) but I still have this fear of hitting a big jump and the rear not coping well with it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by SRRD-RacinG View Post
    I still have this fear of hitting a big jump and the rear not coping well with it.
    Don't even worry about it. Your more likely to mash a wheel then hurt any part of the frame/shock.I have hit 4 foot to flat at 200lbs don't even think I bottomed out the shock or its just that smooth.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by baja07 View Post
    Don't even worry about it. Your more likely to mash a wheel then hurt any part of the frame/shock.I have hit 4 foot to flat at 200lbs don't even think I bottomed out the shock or its just that smooth.
    Rockshox Monarch R 100mm shock?

  17. #17
    SoCal Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    255

    My Anthem SX

    Got this about 3 weeks ago and loving it!!!

    Owned a bunch of different Anthems, and this is by far the best yet

    2016 Anthem SX-sx1.jpg

  18. #18
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,830
    The 2016 alloy SX is really nice. So is the Advanced but out of my reach. I should have waited a few months and got the 2016. I like the colours much better.

    Other than that, I can't complain. The SX is proving to be faster than my Trance except on the most hairy trails around.

    I ditched the dropper (put it on my Trance), though.
    Check my Site

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    6
    How has your ASX held up (specially on rougher terrain)? How much does it weight? Have you done any upgrades?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2m2hs View Post
    I went with the SX for a few reasons. I debated back and forth between a Trance and Anthem for a long time. I'd been on HT 29er's for about 5 years and those bikes were mostly XC oriented. I knew I wanted to go FS with my next bike and I wanted a bike that would expand my riding capabilities while still being the right bike for 90% of my riding. After riding the Trance a few times I knew that was more bike than I needed and knew I would get frustrated with that much travel. The Anthem however seemed too far the opposite direction. It was quick but I found on demo rides it didn't really encourage me to take more chances on technical stuff, small jumps etc. It was fast but not confidence inspiring once it got chunkier, for me anyways. Then I was able to demo an SX and it just seemed to bridge the gap perfectly. Super efficient pedaling platform with the Maestro and 100mm of rear travel, but the 120 up front really gave me the confidence to hit some more technical stuff. It also has all of the upgrades over the Anthem that I would have made anyways: wider bars, dropper post, beefier front tire. For me it was pretty much good to go out of the box. I think it'll handle most everything that I will throw at it. You mentioned buying a Reign for downhill, and if you're riding a lot of true downhill this bike isn't for that, it's fills a need between the Anthem and Trance, but is more XC than AM. Aggressive or Technical XC is what I'd describe it as.

    As to your question about Carbon or Aluminum...I think you'll get 95% of the performance out of aluminum for about 70% of the cost, so if that 5% matters to you, go for it. If not, save the money or put it into upgrades.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRP07 View Post
    How has your ASX held up (specially on rougher terrain)? How much does it weight? Have you done any upgrades?
    So far so good! It's been great for me on rougher terrain, and in fact I've been riding much more technical lines than I have in the past. Where I ride many of the trails will have a technical "A" line, with a ride around "B" line that you can take that is easier. I used to often take the B line and only occasionally hit the harder line. Now I almost always am riding the harder line. This is obviously dependent upon where you're riding...looks like you're from Ohio, so I would think you'd be totally fine on this.

    I've upgraded a few things: tubeless, went 1X10. I'll go 11 speed once the current cassette needs replacing. It weighs about 27 lbs with pedals. If you went carbon bar, lighter wheels etc. you could get it pretty light. I love the bike!

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 1 Weight?
    By farmertan in forum Giant
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 1 Day Ago, 05:47 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2016, 05:42 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-06-2015, 09:06 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-22-2015, 08:04 PM
  5. 2016 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 1 Weight?
    By farmertan in forum 27.5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •