Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

2015 Giant Trance 2 Build

I've posted a few photos of my rig here and there, but I finally finished it this week This bike rides, handles, climbs, etc. great as that was my goal, build a bike that could do it all since I ride all different sorts of terrains and can't afford multiple bikes. It hits the scale at 28lbs. I've been apart of some car forums and BMX forums in the past and they always have build threads with detailed info, but I never see that much on the MTB forums, so I thought I'd go for it!-
    Frame-2015 Trance 2 Alluxx
    Fork-Fox 34 Float CTD w/ Trail Adjust 150mm
    Shock-Fox Float CTD w/ Trail Adjust
    Headset-Giant FSA
    Handlebars-Spank Spike 777 Evo-Bearclaw Edition
    Stem-Spank Spike-Bearclaw Edition
    Grips-Oury Slip-On's
    Brakes-Shimano Deore XT's w/ Jagwire Hose
    Shifter-Shimano Saint I-Spec w/ Jagwire Housing
    Seatpost-Giant Contact Switch SL w/ Jagwire Housing
    Wheels-WTB KOM i25's laced to Hope Pro Evo 2's w/ DT spokes and nips.
    Rear axle converted to 12x142 from Giants stock 5x135.
    Tires-Schwalbe Nobby Nic's Evo's set-up Tubeless
    Crankset-2015 RaceFace Turbine Cinch 30t
    Pedals-Crank Brothers Candy 3's
    Front Derailleur Block-Off Plate-MRP
    Rear Derailleur-Shimano Zee
    Chain-KMC X10
    Cassette-Shimano

mtbr member
    Lookin sharp mate!

I like the vintage Fox decals, it looks sharp.

Not so much a fan of the slip on grips though; the end bumps ruin the clean lines of the handlebar.

What's with the coating/tape party torn off the rims?

Did you notice any difference with the Jagwire brake hoses?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks man! I'm not so keen on the end bumps but those are my favorite grips ever as far as feel goes, so I just stuck with them.

If you look closely, that "tearing" part of the rim is shaped like a mountain, as KOM stands "King Of the Mountain" (something I'm far from lol). That photo makes it look more like a coating's peeling off though.

The only reason I went with the Jagwire hoses is because I took the XT's off of my previous bike and the lines were too short, and the Shimano BH90 banjo's aren't reusable as they are crimp fitted onto the hose, so I just bought the Jagwire QuickFit setup to replace the hose. The Jagwires feel identical to stock. I think the gold banjo's give the calipers a nice touch though

I haven't ridden it since the new wheels because I sprained my wrist and its been pissing rain all week, but I can't wait to hit the trails in about a week!

mtbr member
    Sounds good.

The Oury come in a lock-on format if you want to do away with the bumps. They will also stay on a lot more securely as well. I used them for a while and without the end bump it's more comfortable to hold the bars well past the end of the grips (e.g. when climbing fireroads or to alternate the hand position a bit to reduce fatigue).

I'm now using ODI Rogues I found they are less squishy than the Oury so a bit better control.

mtbr member

Nice 👍

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    r the wheels cabron?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    The Oury come in a lock-on format if you want to do away with the bumps. They will also stay on a lot more securely as well. I used them for a while and without the end bump it's more comfortable to hold the bars well past the end of the grips (e.g. when climbing fireroads or to alternate the hand position a bit to reduce fatigue).

I'm now using ODI Rogues I found they are less squishy than the Oury so a bit better control.
    I kind of liked the squishy lol I knew they made a lock-on version too, but we have these in stock at the shop I work at so i just threw these on. I haven't actually had any issue with the bumps either besides aesthetics. I'm pleased so far honestly, but the second they start to throttle, they're off, but they fit pretty tight so I don't see it developing that for some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Nice 👍
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by nexttozen View Post
    r the wheels cabron?
    I wish! WTB claims them as light as most carbon rims though. I think these are somewhere around 400g each. Of course carbon rims are stiffer and what not so weight's not the only difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    sweet. thanks for info on the wheels. seriously nice build! you're stoked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    How did you get it so damn clean? Bike looks amazing, just makes me want to spend more money on mine.

Where did you get those little clips for the lines from? Normally i do that with zip ties.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nexttozen View Post
    sweet. thanks for info on the wheels. seriously nice build! you're stoked.
    Thanks man! Not a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    How did you get it so damn clean? Bike looks amazing, just makes me want to spend more money on mine.

Where did you get those little clips for the lines from? Normally i do that with zip ties.
    Thanks! Giant makes a "bike polish" called Liquid Silk that we carry at the shop that I hit the bike with right before taking these photos lol. I also spray the bike off and re-lube after every few rides to keep grime from building up.

As for the clips, those came with my Jagwire brake hoses, almost tossed them out but decided to try them and they ended up working great!

Super Dad
    nice build. i have a similar build on a 2014 trance 3, its sitting at 28 even as well. got a few more things to do and hope to have it down to 27 even by spring
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2014 Trek Crossrip

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

1. I love this build. very similar to my own approach. Nice balance of quality and cost effectiveness.

2. As long as it gets dirty first, no shame in obsessing over it after. clean bikes rule.

3. Let me know how you like the wheels. I'm kicking around several WTB options for a new wheel build. KOM is lighter than Frequency, quite light for a 25mm AL rim actually, but I'm not sure about KOM durability. I may go for the frequency i23 as a middle ground. But let me know how you like the 25s.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    nice build. i have a similar build on a 2014 trance 3, its sitting at 28 even as well. got a few more things to do and hope to have it down to 27 even by spring
    Thanks! I've kicked around the idea of swapping some parts to drop some weight, but right now I'm saving for a Giant Defy Advanced 1 so I'm just going to ride the piss out of this bike and replace parts as they break lol

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    1. I love this build. very similar to my own approach. Nice balance of quality and cost effectiveness.

2. As long as it gets dirty first, no shame in obsessing over it after. clean bikes rule.

3. Let me know how you like the wheels. I'm kicking around several WTB options for a new wheel build. KOM is lighter than Frequency, quite light for a 25mm AL rim actually, but I'm not sure about KOM durability. I may go for the frequency i23 as a middle ground. But let me know how you like the 25s.
    1.Thanks man! Even getting parts at cost, I like to keep things pretty middle ground since I'm still in college. Although I would LOVE a full XTR groupset....only because of the pure sexiness lol

2. I have an obsession with keeping my mechanical belongings clean and properly lubed. I'm on my 5th high mileage vehicle (3rd with over 200,000) and none of them have leaked any fluid, ruined tires w/ bad suspension, etc. and all still look brand new. Take care of them, and they will take care of you

3. I really contemplated wether I should get the KOM's or not because of how light they were, but WTB's endure team uses them, and I only weigh 160lbs, so I figured they'd work fine for me. Just have to watch tire pressure since I'm on Schwalbes, which are known for their thin sidewalls, and KOM's like the dent I've noticed lol. Unfortunately it has still been pissing rain for a solid week, and I sprained my wrist pretty badly (leaned back too far on a manual while clipped in......doh!) so it might be another week or two before I can really give a true report. The Frequency's seem to have great reviews from what I've seen! My last rig had WTB i23's on them and they worked great. One thing's for certain though, this Hope Pro 2 Evo is LOUD!

mtbr member
    Nice build, love the color combination!

Would to love to see a ride report once the weather and your wrist get better.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by DeArman View Post
    I have an obsession with keeping my mechanical belongings clean and properly lubed.

One thing's for certain though, this Hope Pro 2 Evo is LOUD!
    Same here re: maintenance. It's very satisfying.

Yeah, your first pro 2 is a bit of an awakening. As in awakening the dead. Before long you'll come to accept if not actually like the noise. I enjoy the feedback, especially at high speed. For the weight, price and performance nothing can beat it. I've got hopes on all three of my bikes. From XC to DH. People joke about no longer needing a bell to warn other trail users but that's actually a really nice benefit.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinite762 View Post
    Nice build, love the color combination!

Would to love to see a ride report once the weather and your wrist get better.
    I've actually ridden the bike quite a bit before the wheels and cranks went on, it rides great. The headtube angle slackened quite a bit when swapping the factory 140mm Fox 32's with the current 150mm Fox 34's, which made climbing a tad more difficult, but still completely doable, just have to change your approach. Going down this bike absolutely RIPS. I honestly can't report anything that bugs me while riding yet except for my derailleur, I feel the short cage isnt as smooth jumping up to a 36t cog compared to the factory medium cage, I'm looking to switch it out for an XT or possibly an XTR.

Yeah, your first pro 2 is a bit of an awakening. As in awakening the dead. Before long you'll come to accept if not actually like the noise. I enjoy the feedback, especially at high speed. For the weight, price and performance nothing can beat it. I've got hopes on all three of my bikes. From XC to DH. People joke about no longer needing a bell to warn other trail users but that's actually a really nice benefit.
    I actually like it! Reminds me of my BMX days in high school when my Proper hub would make an earth shattering buzz going down the street! I almost splurged and bought an Industry 9 wheelset, but the more I pondered on it I have no need for 120poe, and the spokes have to be ordered from Industry 9, and the Hope's are super easy to maintain.....in fact I've already cracked it open and re-greased it with Slick Honey I'm very happy with my decision so far.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Nice looking bike and the weight, wow! You don't even have weight weenie parts except for the KOM's which is considered as AM. Maybe weightweenie AM? lolI've always wanted Giant bikes but never really had a chance of owning one. Anyway, Im curious if you happen to know the weight of the frame? I have the 2014 Hecker at 28.2 lbs (UPS scale) with xtr crank, Thomson carbon bar & heavy 1815g wheelset. I'm also running NoNi 2.25 Pacestar/SS...

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Nice looking bike and the weight, wow! You don't even have weight weenie parts except for the KOM's which is considered as AM. Maybe weightweenie AM? lolI've always wanted Giant bikes but never really had a chance of owning one. Anyway, Im curious if you happen to know the weight of the frame? I have the 2014 Hecker at 28.2 lbs (UPS scale) with xtr crank, Thomson carbon bar & heavy 1815g wheelset. I'm also running NoNi 2.25 Pacestar/SS...
    the frame weight of a L Al trance with a shock is roughy 2700 grams or 5.9 lb.

A M heckler is 3070 grams or 6.76 lb with Fox float CTD.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Thanks! I actually never really gave Giant a glance until I started at an almost Giant specific shop, now I can't get enough of them. For the amount of bike you get their prices can't be beat I don't think, and every little bit helps when you're in college lol. I was surprised at the weight too, I knew I'd be shedding a few lbs, but it honestly wasn't my intent when buying most of parts....I don't know the weight of the frame....but this guy does!
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    the frame weight of a L Al trance with a shock is roughy 2700 grams or 5.9 lb.

A M heckler is 3070 grams or 6.76 lb with Fox float CTD.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Yeah the Al giant Frame is really light and still stiff. Nice to have the best Al manufacturing in the whole world.

My girlfriend M trance3 that I 1 x 10, and converted to tubeless on the stock wheel is 28.0 with out the SPDs pedals. There is so much room for weight saving as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DeArman View Post
    Thanks! I actually never really gave Giant a glance
    For the amount of bike you get their prices can't be beat I don't think,!
    I felt that way when i bought mine until i realized i was going to have to replace just about every piece on it for the sort of riding i'd like to do. To be fair it's run great on all of my local trails, brake upgrade is cheap enough and i've actually mangled the fork that came on it anyway so it's worked out well.

I feel like Giant completely misses the boat on the front end. Every review of the bike gives it poor marks when pointed down but what do you expect from 32mm forks with narrow rims. It's slack enough that it has the potential to be a really burly bike with a proper fork on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, the 2015 Trance 1 has decently wide carbon rims but a Revelation RL... w.t.f Giant, give me alloy rims and a Pike or at least a Revelation RCT3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That's a beauty

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFoe View Post
    I felt that way when i bought mine until i realized i was going to have to replace just about every piece on it for the sort of riding i'd like to do.

I feel like Giant completely misses the boat on the front end. Every review of the bike gives it poor marks when pointed down but what do you expect from 32mm forks with narrow rims. It's slack enough that it has the potential to be a really burly bike with a proper fork on it.
    Mine rode fine with the 32mm Fox's, rides better with the Fox 34's. 32mm forks aren't bad forks at all like they're made out to be, they just have their place on different bikes, they were perfect on my Kona Honzo, I just don't think they're the ideal fork for the Trance. I swapped out the wheel set due to the narrow rims and me running tubeless, the SXC-2 rims are reeeaaly narrow. Between the forks and wheels I think I've nailed how a Trance should ride, I killed it today on the trail!.......I did put a DEEP gash in the stanchion of my new 34's though guess I gotta send em off sometime soon

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    Yeah, the 2015 Trance 1 has decently wide carbon rims but a Revelation RL... w.t.f Giant, give me alloy rims and a Pike or at least a Revelation RCT3.
    ^I didn't understand that either lol

Quote Originally Posted by c0nr4d View Post
    That's a beauty
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I went out and rode it today and the drop in rotational weight was instantly noticed, even in the air it felt like the bike just "floated" more per se. Throwing around was easier, the acceleration felt increased, and with the wider rims the traction was a lot better than with the stock SXC2's. Hit some rock gardens and no dents in the KOM's as of yet I did run 30psi in the back and 28psi in the front though since Schwalbe's are known for their soft sidewalls. I weigh about 160lbs without gear if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast