mtbr member
    Dec 2013

2015 Giant Reign 2 Weight Saving

So I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Reign 27.5 2 but am keen to get it a little lighter without breaking the bank.

Ideas so far:
    Tubeless conversion (possibly change out Hans Dampf Rear to something that pedals a little easier
    Remove the Deore Crank and replace with an XT crank I have.
    Change disks to a 180F/160R (I really think the large size is overkill)
    Seat will be changed to a Fizik which is a little lighter.

What else is going to make a meaningfull difference without bankrupting me?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Depends - how much money you got in the bank??

1st thing I'd go for would be some Light-Bicycle carbon wheels. Under $600 for the pair.

mtbr member
    Cassette, chain, getting rid of bash, going with 1x10... you could save about 700gr.
    Lighter handlebars and grips - about 150gr

Lighter rims - about 300gr for a pair.

I wouldn't bother with it though - you won't get any practical performance upgrade (you'll get a downgrade in terms of stiffness/durability) for weight loss you won't really notice.

mtbr member
    I have a 2015 Trance 2 that started out at 31 pounds and I have it down to 28lbs. 27lbs if I didn't put the dropper on, but I love that thing! Probably 26lbs if I didn't take the Fox 32 off and put a Fox 34 on it either lol. I also swapped out the 2x10 for 1x10. I will say though my biggest weight saving came from replacing the wheels.

My bike hasn't lost any stiffness or durability from my switches, in fact it is more durable than before. My buddy has a 2015 Reign and we just converted his to a 1x10 and it helped a bit. Nice bikes!

2010 Glory custom FR
    I've got a bike. Well, actually, my wife has it
    We had a chance to ride it last week on Rychlebské stezky
    Rychlebské stezky - Home
    We also had 2012 Reing 2, so we could directly compare both bikes.
    2015 R2 climbs better and descends much better.
    What I wanted to do, which has been already mentioned, was going for 1x10 drivetrain, which would drop about 700g and looked really cool
    But my wife said, she would prefer to keep 2x10 setup and be able to pedal up on lighter gears. I may try to have get optional, 1x10 parts, for her bike for downhill days, anyway
    If you're strong enough and you can ride 30x42, good for you. But crawling up on 24x36 much easier
    However, you can save much weight on wheels. I've put them on scale.
    Front with 200mm Shimano and tape rotor is 1140g
    Rear with 180mm rotor, 11-36t cassette and tape is 1745g.
    Accordingly to my calculations, wheelset is 2200g.
    Original 27,5 tubes are 185g each.
    Tires - ca. 750g each.

I've already replaced h-bar for FSA Gravity Carbon 730mm, which saved few grams.
    We will keep original saddle, coz it's surprisingly comfortable.
    She uses Giant Sport flats, which are light and fine for her, when she rides in 5.10 or some SPDs which I've got from XC bike.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So the bike is apparently 14.35kg at medium (presumably.) I'd cut weight at a tubeless conversion, crank swap like you said, 1x conversion, cassette swap to XT and get a set of Stans Flow rims.

Don't know how much this saves, but I'd assume it'd be at least a kilo.

mtbr member
    Flows won't be much lighter.
    I'd only swap rims if you're not riding it too hard because stock rims are wide and tough.
    Light alternative would be WTB KOM or Pacenti TL28.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the replies - most of the suggestions are very achievable on a limited budget.

I guess if going Narrow-Wide with a 1x10 and ditching the guide makes sense, but then I definitely would look at a cassette converter like the General Lee to get a wider spread at the rear.

I was spoilt little as my last Reign was a 2011 Reign 0, which came in at around 12.5kg. It would be awesome to get a little closer to that, but that will start costing a lot!
    I also had a 2010 Reign X1 (15.5kg) and I suppose I must accept that this new bike will be somewhere in between.

I have never managed to fall in love with the Trances, in spite of having owned the last three models (26", 29" and 27.5"), and will happily accept a slightly heavier bike in a Reign.

mtbr member
    I think you could get it to 12kg if you're willing to do some compromises because frame and shocks are light:

Wheelset - P-Trx1 -500gr
    Tubeless - 300gr
    Lighter rear tyre - 150gr
    Fixed seatpost - 400gr
    Carbon bars - 150gr
    No guide and bash - 300gr
    Full Xt 1x conversion - 600gr

That's basically it, you could lose about 2400gr like this, but I'd keep a dropper, still you could get it under 12.5kg without pedals

mtbr member
    Some details about the stock wheels.

Wide i say, at least 25 mm.

I'll shave 600g with XM 1501 (more than enough for me, no bike parks).

Next week it will be ready, 1x11 X01, DT Swiss XM 1501 and Sram RSC.

The frame M size with fork, shock, Reverb 125 mm, seat clamp, headset, spacers, stem, handlebar, grips, and saddle is at 6.5 kg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: 2015 Giant Reign 2 Weight Saving

So it seems the biggest gains for the moment can be had with the wheelset and the drivetrain.

Are there no noticeable gains on the cockpit?

Posted using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The most noticeable gain will be the wheels and best value for money. Carbon bars, lighter stem are a relatively expensive upgrade for little weight saving.

2010 Glory custom FR
    If you manage to find good deal for Truvativ AKA or Sram S1400/X7 spiderless crankset, you can build 1x10 drivetrain
    I've got AKA for 140 USD
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    On the cockpit you can lose some weight, but it won't worth it.

Stem ~ 190g
    Bars ~ 310g
    Saddle ~ 320g

I did put:
    Atlas 35x35 stem ~150g
    Sixc 35 X 800 mm handle bar ~215g
    Atlas Saddle ~ 225g

Now, in the almost final build i have it at ~13kg, but i will swap the chain ring with an oval one and I still have the tubes and stock tyres.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I think you could get it to 12kg if you're willing to do some compromises because frame and shocks are light:

Wheelset - P-Trx1 -500gr
    I thought the P-TRX1 wheels were 1700-1750g, that is still pretty light. Yes there are lighter, perhaps even wider and lighter wheels, but you start getting into some $$$ for that.

Depending on the riders weight and capabilities, you might not want to go too light on the wheels for everyday riding and have to always worry about destroying a wheel.

My Trance SX is around 30lbs, yes would like it to be less, but doesn't bother me too much.

1 x 10
    tubeless
    big grippy tires (Muddy Mary, and DHF EXO)
    Perhaps when things dry out I can go a little lighter, but I like having tires that I can trust on greasy rocks and wet slippery roots.

Really like the look on the new Reigns. Interesting comment that they climb better than the older Reign. I had three Reigns (2005, 2008, 2010) and also three Trances, 2005/6 2008, and now a 2014 Trance SX. Never really noticed that much difference on the various years and models, suspension components seemed to make more of a difference.

The 66 degree HA on the SX is somewhat manageable, but has me wanting to go back to travel adjust fork. The Reign with a 65 degree HA would be a must to have a TA fork. How does the Reign work for technical climbing and pedal strikes???

mtbr member
    I got Trance Advanced SX '14 in the end with Pike&Monarch Debonair

Figured I would rather get mint second hand for about 20% more money than a new Alu Reign 2 with Deore

P-TRX1 wheelset (2014 with DT240s hubs) has been great so far - no truing needed yet, holds air in tubeless very well and weighs about 1650gr.

They've got very light hubs (cca 400gr for a pair, Sapim CX Ray spokes or something similar, so about 300gr, and rims are very nice with durable anodized finish, probably around 450gr per rim).

I've done about 1000km with about 13.000m elevation in bit less than 2 months with the Trance and I haven't needed to touch anything.

Love the tires too, Continental Mountain King Protection Black Chilli. They seem much more durable than Schwalbes I had before and I haven't had punctures which required repairs yet.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    The 66 degree HA on the SX is somewhat manageable, but has me wanting to go back to travel adjust fork. The Reign with a 65 degree HA would be a must to have a TA fork. How does the Reign work for technical climbing and pedal strikes???
    It's fine, I found absolutely no need for TA. Caveat - I'm used to a 65deg HA and a Float 36 160 so take from that what you will... Pedal strikes are more common than on my RX, but nothing I can't get used to. The extra length of the large frame makes the 2015 Reign less versatile on tight/twisty stuff, and more of a wide-open blaster...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hi all.

Another happy '15 Reign owner here. The bike kills it downhill and I actually find it better on the uphills that my Specialized Stumpjumper comp.

I've had it since October and although I don't need to upgrade anything I got the "upgrade bug".

So far I am stock besides for rear tyre which I have replaced with a Rock Razor super gravity.

Bike is going in this week for a 1x conversion. I'm in two minds whether I should just keep the Deore or upgrade to something else. The Deore is actually doing very well but I suppose I just want better parts on my bike.

Other than that I am also considering new lighter wheelset. I am from South Africa so not a huge variety around here. Every Tom, Dick and Harry has Flow Ex so I will probably go for them with Hope hubs.

Rear shock is also in my scope. It does very well but lack of complete lock out does annoy me on long climbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For what it's worth a lot of manufacturers are going with WTB wheels. Asked about it on my local forum and got a lot of positive comments about them. The hubs aren't anything to get excited about though, so you'd probably still be looking at hope hubs and having someone build it for you. I'm planning on getting a set built in the spring.

Would be curious to know how much time you've spent on the Rock Razor? I was seriously considering that rear tire until i read some reviews that the centre knobs don't last very long. I know it doesn't have much braking traction but that's kind of the idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The Rock Razor is brand new so can't comment on longevity yet.

The bike is currently in the shop at the moment getting the following installed:
    XT Crank with Hope 32t NW, Hope 40t extender, XT shifter and XT brakes. The bike shop bought back the stock parts so was a relatively cheap upgrade. Can't wait to get her back.

Regarding the shock. How does the measurements work? ie. 200x57?